Help Please

pipes51

I just ordered me a new super black eagle II and also the rifled slug barrell for it. Is there any ammo anyone can reccommend for both barrels? Also any other helpful info to get things started and keep them running smooth. Thanks for any suggestions.

thanks

Things i will be hunting probably are: deer, turkey, dove, squriel, duck, and maybe shooting some clay pigeons.

I have heard good things about hornady, federal and remington sabot slugs. It is hard to know which is best without making some 5 shot groups and seeing which groups best. Try a box of each premium brands to know which is best in your barrel. If you are willing to dish out the money than nitro company turkey shells will give you the best results. For what I can afford federal mag shok is the best patterning shells I have found. Some cheapo boxes of 100 shot shells will be fine for dove squirrel and clay pigeons. I dont have much of a preference for duck shot shells I will use about anything affordable with a proper choke.

Ah... I haven't used them personally, but most everyone I know that hunts deer with a rifled barrel shotgun uses the Remington Premier AccuTip Bonded Sabot Slugs. The Federal Barnes expander is suppose to be very good as well.

I don't think you can go wrong with any Fed or Rem sabots.

The smaller game may be more about what's on sale than what's considered the "best".

I use Baschieri & Pellagri (B&P USA), but I buy them direct by the case.

C

thanks guys.

anyone else?

I've been out of the deer slug scene for a few years since switching to late season muzzleloader hunts, but I still shoot slug guns on occasion (20 rounds through an 870 Express today :().

My Benelli slug guns have always favored Winchester Platinum Tips and/or Partition Gold saboted slugs.

I've seen big bucks soak up the Barnes Expanders and keep running. Sure they died, but not soon enough for my taste.

Lately, I've been moving away from slugs with any bells and whistles, and moving towards bonded bullets that retain more weight. You might want to check out the new Fusion saboted slugs.

As to ammo for the regular barrel, anything should work fine, just remember your Benelli is under-bored and may tend to prefer smaller sized shot over large harder shot.

Good luck!

thanks

Things i will be hunting probably are: deer, turkey, dove, squriel, duck, and maybe shooting some clay pigeons.

With your rifled barrel hunting deer I would recommend Hornady SST (my favorite for deer slugs)http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=148, Brenekne Gold Magnum 3"(accurate and deadly take down within 100 yrds)http://www.brennekeusa.com/startlink.html, and the Remington Premier® AccuTip Bonded Sabot Slug(I haven't used them but my friends love them)http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/slugs/accuTip_bonded_sabot_slug.asp. Test them out and see which gives you the best reslults.

For your smooth bore hunting deer I would use Federal Premium Vital-Shok 00 buck and 000 buck for thick brush and heavy wooded areas, although going with smaller buckshot would also do the trick.

For Turkey I recommend Winchester Supreme Turkey #6: http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/shotdetail.aspx?symbol=STH12356&bn=5&use=12

You can see my results with my SuperNova with a ported Carlson's .665 Turkey choke @ 20 yards in the turkey section with more photos and distances soon to be posted but here is the link to the pattern: http://s584.photobucket.com/albums/ss287/tyson129/?action=view&current=100_1728.jpg

For Squirrel and Clays any game load should work fine, $20 for 100 shell box of federal or Winchester loads at Walmart.

For Dove I would use your favorite ammo brand in #8 with a really open choke. Ask Trapshooter1 because he knows more about this than I do because I don't hunt them, I'm a Woodcock, Partridge, Quail, and Pheasant guy.

For Duck you may want to refer to the waterfowl section of the Benelli Forum because there has been debate over a lot of the rounds.

A really good load that works great out of my Dad's SBE and all our other 12Ga shotguns are Nitro Mag® Buffered Magnum Loads. They are a great game load with a lot of different options, check them out here: http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/turkey/nitro-Mag_buffered_magnum.asp

Edited by tyson129

For Dove I would use your favorite ammo brand in #8 with a really open choke. Ask Trapshooter1 because he knows more about this than I do because I don't hunt them, I'm a Woodcock, Partridge, Quail, and Pheasant guy.

Well I am flattered :p most use Improved cylinder, but I use light modified for dove. I usually buy the boxes of four of Federal or Remington in 7 1/2, winchester will work but the promo winchester ammo isn't supposed to be reloaded and it doesn't have as much shot. If you want to go higher quality, use winchester AA or Federal gold metal, or remington nitros.

• 1 year later...

I have the super eagle II and have been using winchester platnum tips and the golds they are accurate but i have had deer run for awhile after lung and heart shots in Ohio. shot placement has been good but i need more knock down power. We tracked a big buck in 2007 from 6 pm to 11 pm and he went into another county through snow there was a good blood trail but we couldnt get him every time we got close he would snort and run on three legs as he was shot I belive in the shoulder bone it was heart breaking to not find that buck..

any suggestions for an accurate, knock down stoping power slug? most shots are 10 to 80 yds lots of woods and hills where I hunt.

Thanks

I just ordered me a new super black eagle II and also the rifled slug barrell for it. Is there any ammo anyone can reccommend for both barrels? Also any other helpful info to get things started and keep them running smooth. Thanks for any suggestions.

Congrats on purchase of SBE II.... what distances will you likely be shooting your slugs?

For small game I like the SuperX brand #5 or #6 high brass and clays use the Federal case of 100rds that Walmart sells. 1 1/8oz #7's or #8's.

Myself will be shooting the Hevi-13 or Fed Flite Control in the spring gobbler season.....last year used the Fed Flite control in my SuperNova with a .665 choke.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/slug.aspx?id=782

I have my SBE2 set up with the rifled barrel, and at 100 yards I can hit the target exactly one inch high, dead center all say long! One hole groups are too easy! With an exact drop of 7 inches at 200 yards, it couldn't be more easy. I love the set up, my father and I went out a few years ago when I first got my SBE2 and with his 40 sum odd years of hunting experience, this set up made his jaw drop. I wouldn't trade it for nothing.

By the way, I have it topped off with the Burris scope featured on Benelli's website under Optics. I love the scope. My only gripe is at full 7 power every once in a while I'll get a little too close and end up with a busted brow. I blame that mostly on my thick hunting coat not allowing me to get a good proper rest on my shoulder. Either way, I fully recommend this entire set up, I really cant praise it enough.

As for regular shot shells, I love Kent's. I use #6 Kent Upland for squirrels with a full choke, not a problem at all. They really have the "oompf" needed for those tough lil things out at 30 or 40 yards. For rabbits I just use cheep-o Winchester shells, what ever is on sale that week at the local Wal-Mart, it all works, dead is dead, the rabbit wont know any different.