New Supernova

smithsc1

Forgive me if I sound like a newbie, but here goes. I have a spanking new Supernova. Is there a guide or thread written for a good cleaning for a brand new gun?

I am looking foward to using this gun for duck hunting. I went with the Supernova because I liked the reputation and the way it feels. I also like the adjustability and sprung for the snazzy cammo finish ;-) In the next couple of days I'll do some pattening with a variety of shells, check for point of impact, and shoot some clays.

I'd really like to hear some reccomendations for breaking in a new pump, brands of oil and cleaning solvent, and anything else you would do to really enjoy a new firearm.

Thanks in advance,

Scott from Michigan

Edited by smithsc1

Forgive me if I sound like a newbie, but here goes. I have a spanking new Supernova. Is there a guide or thread written for a good cleaning for a brand new gun?

I plan on using this gun for duck hunting, and thus far am thrilled with my purchase as this feels really good. In the next couple of days I'll get to a range and do some pattening with a variety of shells, check for point of impact, and shoot some clays.

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Scott from Michigan

You dont have to clean a supernova very thoroughly to function properly. I would focus mainly on keeping the bore clean, you need a cleaning rod, a jag, and a bore brush. You also need bore cleaning patches, solvent, and gun oil. Run some solvent through the barrel with the choke in, let it sit while you take care of the rest of the gun. apply a light coat of oil in the action to keep it smooth. Then take out the choke, use a cleaning patch with oil on it to wipe of the dirt, then put a few drops of oil on the threads and re install. Then run a dry patch through the barrel to get rid of the solvent. Then run the bore brush through a couple times to scrape of the hard stuff and plastic from the wads. Then run patches wet with oil down the barrel until they no longer have black on them. If you have a black gun then put a very light coat of oil on the surface metal as well. Do this every 1000 rounds or every 2 months, which ever one comes first.

Thanks! I never thought about the plastic in the bore before your post.

Scott

That ended up being a problem with my old supernova because I put over 1000 rounds a month through it and never let the solvent sit and never used a bore brush. There ended up being a visible rough layer of plastic in the choke and forcing cone (the tapper between the chamber and bore. This made for bad patterns. Take care of your bore.

I would recommend Hoppes because it is a brand that I use and feel offers a great product. I'm not saying that it is the best but here are some links.

Deluxe cleaning kit:

http://www.theconsumerlink.com/product_detail.asp?BID=HOPPES&T1=TCL+BUOX&navStart=133&.

If you just want the shotgun cleaning kit:

http://www.theconsumerlink.com/HOPPES/detail/TCL+HOP30+12+B/139

For the very best that they offer in a kit I would get this (but make sure you select shotgun as the cartridge when ordering it online):

http://www.theconsumerlink.com/HOPPES/detail/TCL+HOP15+16/110

Best of luck and welcome to Benelli! :D

Run some solvent through the barrel with the choke in, let it sit while you take care of the rest of the gun. apply a light coat of oil in the action to keep it smooth. Then take out the choke, use a cleaning patch with oil on it to wipe of the dirt, then put a few drops of oil on the threads and re install. Then run a dry patch through the barrel to get rid of the solvent. Then run the bore brush through a couple times to scrape of the hard stuff and plastic from the wads. Then run patches wet with oil down the barrel until they no longer have black on them.

+1 Very thorough explanation and good tip about buildup removal in your second post. Very important stuff for keeping your gun in great condition and getting optimal patterns.

I would recommend Hoppes because it is a brand that I use and feel offers a great product. I'm not saying that it is the best but here are some links.

Deluxe cleaning kit:

http://www.theconsumerlink.com/product_detail.asp?BID=HOPPES&T1=TCL+BUOX&navStart=133&.

If you just want the shotgun cleaning kit:

http://www.theconsumerlink.com/HOPPES/detail/TCL+HOP30+12+B/139

For the very best that they offer in a kit I would get this (but make sure you select shotgun as the cartridge when ordering it online):

http://www.theconsumerlink.com/HOPPES/detail/TCL+HOP15+16/110

Best of luck and welcome to Benelli! :D

Cleaning kits are ok, but the rods are made out of soft metal so they dont scratch up your bore, meaning they will bend with pressure. A one piece coated cleaning rod, can be made out of stiffer metal, and is even better for your bore. The slotted patch holder doesnt cover your whole bore either. The brushes are ok, but they are the only thing I kept from my cleaning kit. The bore mops do a good job of cleaning, but they can only be used once on a dirty barrel. Here is a custom cleaning kit that will give you better results:

- Coated cleaning rod

- Bore cleaning jag

- Bore cleaning brush

- Bore cleanng patches

- Breakfree CLP gun oil

- Hoppe's bore solvent

I hope I didnt forget anything.

Thanks for the input. I'm relatively new to shooting clays and getting the most out of my guns.

I took the Supernova to a local target range and ran some steel loads through it with the IC and Mod chokes. I found that the 1400 fps loads were really even, and the loads moving +1500 fps seemed to bunch and leave thin spots.

The IC really let the pellets spread, more then I liked at that range for an IC choke. The Mod choke was nice and tight at that range.

Next stop was a clays range, at Island Lake Rec Area near Brighton MI. The trap operator was also an instructor named Ron. In two rounds of trap, Ron was able to get me to slow down enough to start hitting the targets and really busting a few! Very fun! (FYI: I thanked Ron profusely and he offered to give me a Sporting Clays lesson. Great guy.) Although I really wanted to, but I anxious to see for myself what the improvement was compared to previous trips at this course.

I was really pleased with some of the shots I made, nice hard hits with tiny little pieces exploding. I have to fess up though some of the angles and presentations really fouled me up. Surprisingly, I did the best on the fast movers, and the clays that seemed to hang in the air was one whiff after another! LOL I had a really good time.

Thank you to everyone. You guys are saving me a ton of time!:o:D