Aftermarket Choke Tube favorites

smithsc1

I'm looking for an improvement in pattern even-ness with the high speed steel loads. I've pattened my new Supernova, and discoved that the low speed ammo is really nice but the high speed shells get patchy. I'm hoping to find improvements in the pattens with #3 at +1500fps for ducks and larger shot sizes at +1500 fps for geese.

I would like hear from anyone with a good recommendation.

Thanks,

Scott

I'm looking for an improvement in pattern even-ness with the high speed steel loads. I've pattened my new Supernova, and discoved that the low speed ammo is really nice but the high speed shells get patchy. I'm hoping to find improvements in the pattens with #3 at +1500fps for ducks and larger shot sizes at +1500 fps for geese.

Thanks,

Scott

I like briley, carlson's works great two.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,

Scott

I bought a kicks highflyer and i really like it, i havent shot waterfowl with it yet but i got it in mod because i decoy my ducks and with lead its an imp cylinder so, perfect for dove and it made the cleanest kills and ide still get cripples with my crios but when I patternd my crios they had no holes so benelli crios are a darn good choke if you ask me. but the main reason I got the kicks was becouse duck commander uses them and i figured its gotta be good or he would say somthing about it. so definetly check out the kicks they have a new one called vortex i think its probably great too.

with lead its an imp cylinder
actually a mod choke with lead is a mod choke and a mod choke with steel is still a mod choke :p It just patterns like a full.

main reason I got the kicks was becouse duck commander uses them and i figured its gotta be good or he would say somthing about it.
the duck commander uses it I have to have it :rolleyes:

The duck commander also uses benelli, because he gets paid by benelli, he also uses black cloud because he is paid by federal, maybe he uses that choke because he is paid by that company ........ Naw!

Thanks,

Scott

I to like carlsons. Briley is also good. So is pattermaster.

The duck commander also uses benelli, because he gets paid by benelli, he also uses black cloud because he is paid by federal, maybe he uses that choke because he is paid by that company ........ Naw!

I see that he doesn't have a shaving cream contract.:D

actually a mod choke with lead is a mod choke and a mod choke with steel is still a mod choke :p It just patterns like a full.

actually you are wrong on both kicks high flyer is a steel choke so it is a mod pattern steel, and no duck commander says that the benelli montefeltro is no good so he doesent just say that, and he says those new decoys he got sponsored buy still dont look right and tells people dont buy em. duck hunting is like my life so i kinda know this stuff. and actually my dad told me after i ordered the kicks that those r the ones duck commander uses

actually you are wrong on both kicks high flyer is a steel choke so it is a mod pattern steel, and no duck commander says that the benelli montefeltro is no good so he doesent just say that, and he says those new decoys he got sponsored buy still dont look right and tells people dont buy em. duck hunting is like my life so i kinda know this stuff. and actually my dad told me after i ordered the kicks that those r the ones duck commander uses

What ever mod choke IC choke it is the same choke with lead and steel not an IC with lead and mod w/ steel. It just patterns different. I was making a joke and new what you meant. Did you know that the monty and the M2 are almost the same? Maybe he meant the finish isn't good for hunting. The monty is perfectly good what kind of idiot would say that the monty isn't any good? Duck hunting may be your life but you only have 14 years of life and probably 7 seasons of duck hunting. You can only gather so much info from forums and tv it will take you longer to develop a true experienced opinion. If you really did your research on the perfect choke you would find out it isn't ported because the porting distorts the pattern especially with flite control wads used in black cloud. You would also know that porting doesn't reduce muzzle jump, and doesn't reduce felt recoil. Why did you get a ported choke? Your vinci has no recoil and no muzzle jump right? Even though it relies on recoil to cycle.

What ever mod choke IC choke it is the same choke with lead and steel not an IC with lead and mod w/ steel. It just patterns different. I was making a joke and new what you meant. Did you know that the monty and the M2 are almost the same? Maybe he meant the finish isn't good for hunting. The monty is perfectly good what kind of idiot would say that the monty isn't any good? Duck hunting may be your life but you only have 14 years of life and probably 7 seasons of duck hunting. You can only gather so much info from forums and tv it will take you longer to develop a true experienced opinion. If you really did your research on the perfect choke you would find out it isn't ported because the porting distorts the pattern especially with flite control wads used in black cloud. You would also know that porting doesn't reduce muzzle jump, and doesn't reduce felt recoil. Why did you get a ported choke? Your vinci has no recoil and no muzzle jump right? Even though it relies on recoil to cycle.
well I bought it with graduation money from my grandparents becouse I knew it was the best waterfowl choke out there:cool: and why do you think on the box of black cloud were its got the pattern board they used a kicks highflyer? and I do gather alot more information than you think from websites to the field and figuring out what workes best and what doesent stays at home:)

I went with the carlson Skeet 2/Light modified (between an IC and Mod choke for guys like me...) Sprug for the snazzy choke holder mostly for organiztional reasons.

No patterning yet, I'm hoping to get to it b/f the opener here.

Thanks for the input and have a great season,

Shoot'em in the lips,

Scott

well I bought it with graduation money from my grandparents becouse I knew it was the best waterfowl choke out there:cool: and why do you think on the box of black cloud were its got the pattern board they used a kicks highflyer? and I do gather alot more information than you think from websites to the field and figuring out what workes best and what doesent stays at home:)

Obviously you know everything, post some pics of patterns comparing your stock chokes and the best in the world kick's highflyer and maybe I will believe you.

Obviously you know everything, post some pics of patterns comparing your stock chokes and the best in the world kick's highflyer and maybe I will believe you.

well actually u r the one who know's everything according to you:rolleyes:. and I will just I have to wait till the trap club puts the pattern board out. and let me ask you this how much duck hunting do you do? obviusly alot right? you sound like you must have a ton of experience

well actually u r the one who know's everything according to you:rolleyes:. and I will just I have to wait till the trap club puts the pattern board out. and let me ask you this how much duck hunting do you do? obviusly alot right? you sound like you must have a ton of experience

BOTH OF YOU IN TIMEOUT, 5 MINS.:cool:

I used to do a lot, I went through the ported choke phase, I realized, nobody needs to buy an after market choke at all, there is not an easily noticeable difference between the best of the best titanium ported extended and pretty colored chokes and the ones included with the gun. I personally prefer the cheapest available extended briley or carlsons non ported chokes because they are easy to take out and they do add a little look to the gun, not that that matters. If you do a lot of choke changing extended chokes make it easy to re tighten and change much quicker than flush chokes. Another reason to get new chokes, is if you turkey hunt or the restriction you want doesn't come with the gun. This is all my opinion and others may vary.

I asked the question because the availible ammunition moving at 1500ft/sec+ seem to loose eveness at the patterning board. The gent over at Carlson confirmed my suspicion, as did some of the pics of patterns I've seen. Granted, I'm being fussy about this, but I'd really like to shoot the #3 1 1/8 oz +1500 ft/sec loads to meet my expectations for clean kills. My hope is the longer taper allows the load to get less disrupted exiting the barrel. Worth my money for a try. Should this work, I'll look into a skeet choke for in your face shooting.

FYI: I've noticed the combining chokes, ammunition, and different firearms is a lot more of an art then a science with hard and fast answers. There are just to many variables involved (powder burn rate, actual density of shot, smoothness of shot,size of shot, shot cup construction, and different amounts shot and powder).

Good luck all and shoot'em in the lips,

Scott

Thanks,

Scott

Sorry that I didn't respond to this post until now, but I highly recommend the Carlson's Extended Super Steel Chokes- "Great Patterns with Steel Shot- Guaranteed".

You have 3 choices for your Benelli:

Close Range: #07113 constriction: .715

Mid Range: #07115 constriction: .705

Extended Range: #07117 constriction: .695

All steel shots can be used and a Lifetime Guarantee. These are their "best patterning long range choke tube."

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!:)

• 9 years later...
On 9/14/2009 at 10:49 PM, Trapshooter1 said:

I too bought the Kicks Vortex for my Supernova because it said it was made for the Federal Premium Black Clouds and I have NOT been having good results with it so far... My gun now seems to shoot low with this combination and I so much dislike it that I have listed the Benelli on Armslist as I was ready to sell it! Maybe I will keep trying to improve the thing and get it to shoot the way that I expected it too. So far, not having much luck with it and also wish I had bought the 26" barrel instead of the 28" and getting a new one is almost like purchasing a whole new shotgun they are so expensive... Spent too much on the Kicks anyway to have such dismal results... Any help would be greatly appreciated....