Best combo 4 slugging

ishootkittens

I have a benelli supernova with a carlsons rifled choke tube and I was wondering if anyone has tried this setup and what slugs would be best to shoot out of this combo. I contacted hornady (the bastards) and they told me strickly Their saboted slugs would not stabalize and DO not shoot them out of my choke. I continued to contact carlsons the next day and they said their choke was made of a high grade material and would withstand anything (speed,size, consistancy) if it said slug on the box. I was wondering if Any of you have tried the remmy accutip slugs yet? Thanks

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a benelli supernova with a carlsons rifled choke tube and I was wondering if anyone has tried this setup and what slugs would be best to shoot out of this combo. I contacted hornady (the bastards) and they told me strickly Their saboted slugs would not stabalize and DO not shoot them out of my choke. I continued to contact carlsons the next day and they said their choke was made of a high grade material and would withstand anything (speed,size, consistancy) if it said slug on the box. I was wondering if Any of you have tried the remmy accutip slugs yet? Thanks

My Carlson's rifled choke is in the mail and I cant wait to get it, should be here any day. I am going to be hunting black bear with it this weekend, and will be using Brenneke Black Magic 600 gr slugs. These slugs work out of a smooth bore or a rifled barrel. If your going to be hunting deer, those Hornady SST slugs should work great for you, what was their reason for the SSTs to not work out of the Carlson's rifled choke? It will be fine, do some pattern testing. Another slug you could use with the choke are the Brenneke Gold Magnums, I have not tried the AccuTips yet but I have some friends that go nuts over them. Let me know how your pattern tests go and I will let you know how the Gold Magnums pattern on my SuperNova with the Carlson's rifled choke. From what I have read all sabot slugs will work out of a rifled barrel (preferred for long distance shots) or a rifled choke (not as accurate as the fully rifled barrel but allows you to use the sabots). Good luck and talk soon.

Edited by tyson129

• 2 weeks later...

well ive heard wonderful things about SST's and decided to contact hornady about their ammo. THey sent me an email back and said strickly... DO NOT USE THESE SLUGS IN A RIFLED CHOKE BECAUSE THE SLUG WILL NOT STABILIZE. ONLY FOR RIFLED SLUG BARRELS ONLY! i was like.. okay.. thank you. ill just go buy brenneke or remmy! bastards. haha

well ive heard wonderful things about SST's and decided to contact hornady about their ammo. THey sent me an email back and said strickly... DO NOT USE THESE SLUGS IN A RIFLED CHOKE BECAUSE THE SLUG WILL NOT STABILIZE. ONLY FOR RIFLED SLUG BARRELS ONLY! i was like.. okay.. thank you. ill just go buy brenneke or remmy! bastards. haha

Don't forget to try federal truball.

What range are you planning on using your SuperNova as a slug gun for IShootKittens?

Right now I am getting consistent 1/2" groups at 50 yards with my SuperNova, Carlson's Rifled Choke, and Brenneke Black Magics. For me that slug is way over kill for deer but I have this setup for Black Bear right now. But you could use their Gold Magnums and get the same exact results because of the identical ballistics. This would allow you to shoot @ 100 yards confidently so long as you are a good shot. Still overkill but just an option to think about.

well i figured with the rifled choke tube, the truball wouldnt be as effective. I figured i would need an IC or a MOD choke to get the best results with those.

With my results in a smooth bore the rifled choke and sabot slugs didn't provide near as good results as a plain IC choke and truballs. The rifled choke provides only as much rifling as a pistol, and therefore I got about the accuracy of a scoped pistol. I would be confident with a decent sabot slug in a smooth bore with a rifled choke to make a 100 yard deer shot. A rifled slug would get me close to twice that range with almost identical groups.

REally?!?! I just went and bought a rifled choke tube! damn! I live in the appalachan mountains in va. The farthest shot I will ever have to take is about 100. There is very little fields where I live, mostly just thick woods. But your saying that these truballs are the real deal? Damn, so be straight with me here. Am I going to get better results with truball/IC or Sabots/Rifled. Anyone!?!

REally?!?! I just went and bought a rifled choke tube! damn! I live in the appalachan mountains in va. The farthest shot I will ever have to take is about 100. There is very little fields where I live, mostly just thick woods. But your saying that these truballs are the real deal? Damn, so be straight with me here. Am I going to get better results with truball/IC or Sabots/Rifled. Anyone!?!

I can't answer that with your barrel and loads you may try that are different, but I got better results in a smooth bore with rifled slugs than a rifled choke and sabot slugs. I am being completely straight with you, no lie. If you find out the rifled slugs are better, don't beat yourself up about it, you can always get some of your money back by selling it if that is the case.

yeah.. damn! I figured the rifled choke was too good to be true. Wel i purchased some remmy saboted slugs and I think as soon as my scope gets here im going to throw a couple through it and see what i get. But if i dont get good groups at 100 yards then im prolly just going to switch straight to the truballs.. or to the brenneke rifled. But about how much would a ic choke go for these days.

yeah.. damn! I figured the rifled choke was too good to be true. Wel i purchased some remmy saboted slugs and I think as soon as my scope gets here im going to throw a couple through it and see what i get. But if i dont get good groups at 100 yards then im prolly just going to switch straight to the truballs.. or to the brenneke rifled. But about how much would a ic choke go for these days.

Your mod choke would work, but for a flush choke, not much:

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6706

well **** that aint too bad. But your saying my modified could work? will it give me the same pattern as if I were to use an IC choke? also i dont want it to blow my choke out of my barrel.. im just nervous about using a mod choke.

You would be safe shooting your slugs through a full, I can't say for sure you will get the same patterns with a mod but they should be pretty close, and give you a good idea of how an IC would work.

So your saying that accuracy COULD be affected by by a long chamber.

That's odd considering the shell is seated forward in the chamber. I have never experienced a difference in accuracy going from a 2-3/4" to a 3" slug, with the exception of ballistic characteristics from different loads and products. Give it a pattern test and get back to us, if you want I can post some pattern tests at 40-50 yards with two different shells. For example a two shot pattern with Brenneke Black Magic 3" and the Brenneke KO 2-3/4". You will only see a slight change in the accuracy but that will be due to the ballistics and not the size of the shell in relation to the chamber IMO.

ballistics? im still alittle confused about this. I would LOVe for you to post some patterns with some brenneke black magics! i was wanting some of these but i figured it was a bit of overkill for deer hunting. If you will post some patterns i would really appreciate it. I was just wanting to try some federal truball since trapshooter seems to insist on them, i just dont want my accuracy to be thrown off by the size of the shell? or ballistics.. im confused to how that affects the shot?

ballistics? im still alittle confused about this. I would LOVe for you to post some patterns with some brenneke black magics! i was wanting some of these but i figured it was a bit of overkill for deer hunting. If you will post some patterns i would really appreciate it. I was just wanting to try some federal truball since trapshooter seems to insist on them, i just dont want my accuracy to be thrown off by the size of the shell? or ballistics.. im confused to how that affects the shot?

The Black Magics leave quite a unique hole in the targets, I will get some KOs soon and do a comparison for you. It may be after the weekend because I already have some yotes and a bear that I have been after for about a month. After that I will post the shot groups. The black magics are way overkill for deer if your a big venison fan like myself, but if your into dropping them in their spot there is no doubt they will do this and they are one of the most accurate slugs that I have ever shot. And not to mention I have an identical setup as you with the same Carlson's rifled choke and SuperNova. I am using a TruGlo red dot sight on a B-square saddle mount, I am not sure if you are using a scope or not but the red dots are so much fun and hold their zero even when I play hard in the woods. Talk soon

Tyson

Edited by tyson129

well i am a huge venison lover.. and i was thinking about using a scope on my shotgun. Just got it back from the blacksmith and he did a good job on the drill and tap job, simply because i couldnt find a good saddle mount. Anyway, the scope im looking at is a 2-7X32 and its a great scope for the value.. the only prob i have with it is the eye relief! only 3.25 inches. I mean i have shot a 300win, and a 7mm with a scope with only 2 in. of eye relief and only been cracked once! but these brenneke's are pretty well known for their recoil. Would 3.25 be enough???

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to the difference in the 3" Black Magics to the 2-3/4" Black Magics out of the SuperNova with a Carlson's rifled Choke with the TruGlo red dot sight at 50 yards. I am a little pissed because I was rushed and only brought one 3" Black Magic and a full box of 2-3/4" so there is only one hole for the 3" and 2 for the 2-3/4" shots. Sorry but here are the results. There was a difference in the shots, the 2-3/4" shots were higher, here is the link:

picture.php?albumid=30&pictureid=143

I am a little perplexed due to the fact that the 2-3/4" shots should have hit .4 inches lower than the 3" and they are traveling almost 500 fps slower than the 3" shots. So I guess that the size of the cartridge and the chamber do play a factor in the patterns, as Trapshooter suggested. Pretty cool results and I am happy to have learned something new.

With that being said I would like to confirm a practice that I think every hunter should do before going out to the field and that is to sight their gun for the ammo that they will be shooting during the hunt. This is so important and much overlooked in many cases. Most people think that their gun is sighted in and every round no matter the brand or design will shoot dead on the mark. This test demonstrates that even at a short distance like this (50 yards) that it does make a huge difference. Notice that the 2-3/4" shots were 3 and 4 inches high at 50 yards and they shoot 1" groups exactly (Not Good)! My 600 gr 3" Black Magics get 1/2" groups and under at this range so it appears that my SuperNova likes the 3" Black Magics much better.

My gun was sighted in for the 3" rounds which is why it is within the kill zone while the other smaller rounds are high and could be lethal but not at a comfortable zone I would prefer.

Hope this helps, I know it helped me and continues to reinforce the fact that you must always sight in your gun for the ammo you will be hunting with.

Happy Hunting and a Big Thanks to Trapshooter for the tip that I investigated which turned out being 100% correct. Good going Trapshooter!

Edited by tyson129
Picture instead of Link