Best combo 4 slugging

ishootkittens

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, where do you get these? do you order them online or does your local retail sell theM?

I use to get them from Cabelas and I do recommend it if you don't have a local store that sells them. They are $8.00 a box plus shipping and they are the BMM (Black Magic Magnum) on the Brenneke slug section, just make sure you pick out the right size (12 GA 3" or 2-3/4"). Now a local store carries them for $8.22 so its cheaper and more convienient.

Notice on the recovered slug how their wad is still attached to the slug, its just pushed down. The other 2-3/4" I shot got away but I did find the Wad. I will shoot a 3" at some Books and take a picture, I haven't seen one yet so I am pretty excited to see one all mushroomed out because it is much bigger when you compare the two.

Good Luck and Get a Box! I think the 2-3/4" will be perfect for your deer hunting this year since you are shooting within 80 yards and the kick is not bad at all. I will post the 3" once I get out there and shoot some more, have to go out soon and finish sighting in my rifle with the new Leupold Vari-X III 3.5 x 10 x 50mm with Lens Shade.

Happy Hunting :)

Those look like some hard kickers 4oz is way overkill though. How much do they drop at 100 yards sighted in at 50?

I have mine sighted in at 88 yards which is the recommended ideal range for sighting in the 3" Black Magics. The Trajectory is as follows:

Muzzle: -2.0"

25 yrds: +.4"

50 yrds: +1.6"

75 yrds: +1.0"

100 yrds: -1.5"

So as you can see they start to drop really fast after 75 yards. Hope this helps, and to answer you question -1.5" if sighted in at 88 yards (Use a range finder).

But this is really not that bad of a trajectory if you think about it because from muzzle to 50 yards you have 3.6" of play and from 50 to 100 yards you have 3.1" of play, but when you look at the big picture you are probably going to shoot something between 25 and 75 yards which is only .6" to 1.2" of vertical play.

Hunt Hard and Have Fun! :)

well dont worry trap, im going to try the truballs too! they have caught my interest as well, but if i find that theyare about the same (accuracy) then im prolly just gunna pick the bigger one! hahah cuz im power hungry. haha jk, but if the truball outshoots the BM then ill stick with it, im also going to experiement with soem sabots as well, i just a broad side of a barn to sight in my gun because boresighters wont do the trick and you never know where them damn slugs are going to go until i get my scope sighted in!

I just use cheap Remington Sluggers in my M2 tactical with ghost ring sight and have no problem with 75-100 yard shots. This is a smooth bore barrel too. Great gun and in Mass we almost never get shots beyond 50 yards anyway.

Is this your best combo as the thread asks or is it just what you use? Have you tested the many brands of slugs out of your gun to see what works best or just bought the cheapos (cause we all know you can kill a deer with a $2 box of ammo) and what kind of groups do you get at the 50 yard shots you take on deer or any other game you hunt with slugs? Just a question so please don't get defensive. Thanks.

Sluggers give me very tight groups. At 50 yards they will keep everything in the 9 ring on a 100 yard slow fire target. That is off the bench, and when offhand they will stay within an 8" circle (me being the problem) not the gun. I would easily go for 100 yard shots if braced up, again me being the problem. I find that everything I have used doesn't give much better groups than Sluggers. Not being a rifled barrel that may be why, but then again it is good enough for me. Don't know if it will take out a deer this year as the M2 is new this year. I had used an 870 for the past 25 years with good results, most years taking a deer, but didn't like of just got tired of a pump gun.

Oh, did forget to say that after spending 5 years hunting in Alaska (lived there) and a few times in Africa that I only use a slug gun because MA requires it. I don't believe in taking on much besides deer, and never anything that bites back with a slug. I have seen them fail big time, and multiple times, with brown bear in Alaska.

So have fun hunting and maybe you will find a slug and gun combination that pleases you.

Edited by ArtL

If it was me, I would shoot smoothbore slugs out of an improved cylinder barrel. If your shots are under 100 yards this would be a good setup for slug shooting. I hunt deer with an Remington 870 Wingmaster shotgun with an improved cylinder slug barrel, using smoothbore Remington rifled slugs as this setup works great for me because most of my shots at deer are 50 yards and under. So my advice to you is to get an improved cylinder choke for your supernova and try the Remington smoothbore rifled slugs in it. Good luck hunting.

I have a benelli supernova with a carlsons rifled choke tube and I was wondering if anyone has tried this setup and what slugs would be best to shoot out of this combo. I contacted hornady (the bastards) and they told me strickly Their saboted slugs would not stabalize and DO not shoot them out of my choke. I continued to contact carlsons the next day and they said their choke was made of a high grade material and would withstand anything (speed,size, consistancy) if it said slug on the box. I was wondering if Any of you have tried the remmy accutip slugs yet? Thanks

Sluggers give me very tight groups. At 50 yards they will keep everything in the 9 ring on a 100 yard slow fire target. That is off the bench, and when offhand they will stay within an 8" circle (me being the problem) not the gun. I would easily go for 100 yard shots if braced up, again me being the problem. I find that everything I have used doesn't give much better groups than Sluggers. Not being a rifled barrel that may be why, but then again it is good enough for me. Don't know if it will take out a deer this year as the M2 is new this year. I had used an 870 for the past 25 years with good results, most years taking a deer, but didn't like of just got tired of a pump gun.

Oh, did forget to say that after spending 5 years hunting in Alaska (lived there) and a few times in Africa that I only use a slug gun because MA requires it. I don't believe in taking on much besides deer, and never anything that bites back with a slug. I have seen them fail big time, and multiple times, with brown bear in Alaska.

So have fun hunting and maybe you will find a slug and gun combination that pleases you.

You shoot a Remington with Remington Sluggers. I have a SuperNova with Black Magics. Here is a fun little shot test at 30 feet, my brother shooting his Remington 887 with Sluggers and me shooting my SuperNova with Black Magics. He scalped the dude, I pretty much put it through the same hole. Free Standing shots but an example of the great results I have been getting from this setup. No comparison, just some fun competition between brothers that applies to this late topic from this weekend. He only took one shot, cause he ran out of slugs, but I took two. I will update these photos to show up here tomorrow after work but for now here are the links.

Mid Range Photo:

picture.php?albumid=47&pictureid=181

Close Range Photo:

picture.php?albumid=47&pictureid=182

Edited by tyson129

Nice shooting but at 30 feet I could almost throw the gun and do as good. Maybe 30 yards would be a better test and even at that buckshot would do pretty good.

My best shooting is with the M2 tactical and sluggers. The 870 was good to 75 yards if you prayed a bit before letting her fly, and at 50 yards was deadly. The M2 is better and I'm not surprised as it is 25 years newer. They must have made some progress in 25 years with barrels, and the like.

Nice shooting but at 30 feet I could almost throw the gun and do as good. Maybe 30 yards would be a better test and even at that buckshot would do pretty good.

My best shooting is with the M2 tactical and sluggers. The 870 was good to 75 yards if you prayed a bit before letting her fly, and at 50 yards was deadly. The M2 is better and I'm not surprised as it is 25 years newer. They must have made some progress in 25 years with barrels, and the like.

Most gun fights (HD and such) happen within 12 feet. This is 2.5 times that distance. (This is a target of a man not wild game) Post some pattern tests of how great your 870 is with sluggers instead of just commenting on other people's tests. You are literally involved in a thread that deals specifically with the best combo for shooting slugs out of a BENELLI SuperNova.

Post some pics with the yardages, and if you get down to 30 feet I hope you do throw your gun at the target (Because quite frankly I am sick of hearing about your 870...We all have one(In my case 2, the express and the magnum), they are great little starter guns, but come on if your not going to contribute, stay out. We get it you shoot sluggers through your 870...post some pics even though its irrelevant to the topic here at BENELLI USA Forums. Touch the holes like I did freestanding at 30 feet shooting your slugs...just try to with your amazing 870... and then after you do it (If you can), remember I am shooting a 600 gr slug while doing it.

Post evidence, please do not continue to say you shoot an 870 with sluggers...my head is about to explode.

P.S. Buckshot will destroy just about everything from 10 to way past 30 yards and I doubt you could throw your gun 30 feet (Even though I hope you do)...do you shoot often because I am hearing a lot of BS. Come on man your a 60 year old retired Deputy Fire Chief, lets cut the crap and get back to topic (Slug setup for a SuperNova). Thanks.

Edited by tyson129

Most gun fights (HD and such) happen within 12 feet. This is 2.5 times that distance. (This is a target of a man not wild game) Post some pattern tests of how great your 870 is with sluggers instead of just commenting on other people's tests. You are literally involved in a thread that deals specifically with the best combo for shooting slugs out of a BENELLI SuperNova.

Post some pics with the yardages, and if you get down to 30 feet I hope you do throw your gun at the target (Because quite frankly I am sick of hearing about your 870...We all have one(In my case 2, the express and the magnum), they are great little starter guns, but come on if your not going to contribute, stay out. We get it you shoot sluggers through your 870...post some pics even though its irrelevant to the topic here at BENELLI USA Forums. Touch the holes like I did freestanding at 30 feet shooting your slugs...just try to with your amazing 870... and then after you do it (If you can), remember I am shooting a 600 gr slug while doing it.

Post evidence, please do not continue to say you shoot an 870 with sluggers...my head is about to explode.

P.S. Buckshot will destroy just about everything from 10 to way past 30 yards and I doubt you could throw your gun 30 feet (Even though I hope you do)...do you shoot often because I am hearing a lot of BS. Come on man your a 60 year old retired Deputy Fire Chief, lets cut the crap and get back to topic (Slug setup for a SuperNova). Thanks.

I think you need to read my threads as I said I use and M2 tactical now and that the 870 was used for 25 years for deer hunting. I may have been a Deputy Fire Chief for 34 years but you may of heard of Vietnam and realized that some of us have shot in anger, and not a paper.

lf I offended you so be it but in this world that happens.

I think you need to read my threads as I said I use and M2 tactical now and that the 870 was used for 25 years for deer hunting. I may have been a Deputy Fire Chief for 34 years but you may of heard of Vietnam and realized that some of us have shot in anger, and not a paper.

lf I offended you so be it but in this world that happens.

I am not angry or offended in the least, but you sound quite unhappy. Thank you for serving our Country, but lets get back to the topic. The way that we show results here is with shot patterns on paper so we can determine consistency with different combinations and ammo through our various guns. You chose to contribute to this thread and I am only asking for you to upload some evidence to back your statements. So the next time your at the range or your land (Where ever it is that you shoot) please take some photos after your done so that we can all benefit from your results with your M2 and the slugs you used during your session.

You can handle this topic with a little more maturity, anger will get in the way of making good decisions and cloud your judgment.

This is the way that this Forum works.

I am not angry or offended in the least, but you sound quite unhappy. Thank you for serving our Country, but lets get back to the topic. The way that we show results here is with shot patterns on paper so we can determine consistency with different combinations and ammo through our various guns. You chose to contribute to this thread and I am only asking for you to upload some evidence to back your statements. So the next time your at the range or your land (Where ever it is that you shoot) please take some photos after your done so that we can all benefit from your results with your M2 and the slugs you used during your session.

You can handle this topic with a little more maturity, anger will get in the way of making good decisions and cloud your judgment.

This is the way that this Forum works.

I doubt that I will be on the range anytime soon as I plan to start coyote hunting this Saturday, but I will do as you ask when I have the chance. Don't hold much stock in paper though as I only use for sighting and then move onto iron plates and the like.

Have fun.... shoot often... hit what you shoot and and hopefully someone coming into your house realizes 12 guage slug at short range..... It will be quite a mess.

I have seen the results of a 12 gauge at close range when doing First Responder runs before being promoted to a desk jockey. It is not pretty but is final.

I do believe that trying to say being 60 and a retired person makes someone less capable to judge things is not correct. If that wasn't your intention then so be it, but I would read what you type before posting it.

Anyway good hunting and shooting.

Off topic again, but my S&W 1911 has finally arrived at the shop so Saturday is hunting and gun picking up time. Maybe I could post that target..... LOL.... wrong board.

Edited by ArtL

I doubt that I will be on the range anytime soon as I plan to start coyote hunting this Saturday, but I will do as you ask when I have the chance. Don't hold much stock in paper though as I only use for sighting and then move onto iron plates and the like.

Have fun.... shoot often... hit what you shoot and and hopefully someone coming into your house realizes 12 guage slug at short range..... It will be quite a mess.

I have seen the results of a 12 gauge at close range when doing First Responder runs before being promoted to a desk jockey. It is not pretty but is final.

I do believe that trying to say being 60 and a retired person makes someone less capable to judge things is not correct. If that wasn't your intention then so be it, but I would read what you type before posting it.

Anyway good hunting and shooting.

Off topic again, but my S&W 1911 has finally arrived at the shop so Saturday is hunting and gun picking up time. Maybe I could post that target..... LOL.... wrong board.

OK....:rolleyes: 12 ga is not my self defense weapon. No intention. Always read before posting. Good luck.

Did you keep up with that..?

Typical MH

PS good luck yote hunting. I love hunting predators. We are lucky up here in Maine, we get to hunt them year round, no bag limit, and from January to June 5th we can hunt them 24 hours a day. With the only exception being that there is no hunting of any type on Sundays in Maine.

Have a blast and Good Luck.

yeah go to **** ART. That pattern was posted for me because i asked for it. I am planning on getting the same slugs that were used in the patterning test. If I were plannin on using something else i would have never asked for this pattern to begin with. So why dont you let me worry about the distance they were shot and you go and play with your S&W.

Ishootkittens when are you going to post some pattern tests..hehe j/k Get your camera right and post that junk. I sure am glad that I didn't get the accutips for any of my tests after hearing about your tests even though they look pretty cool (even though we all know that doesn't make a difference) but it is still cool when you whip out a florescent green tipped slug! Keep us posted man! :D

haha yeah.. those accutips tumbled hard at about 50 yards out of my smoothbore, those damn buckhammers left holes the size of a half dollar, but without rifling they were just a hunk of lead floating in the air. i wouldnt trust them when mentioning distance. I hope the BM and the federal truballs pattern better! freakin waste of money was exactly what those accutips were!