Benelli Montefeltro should I buy it?

Saurav16

I was in the store today and saw a montefeltro 12 ga 28" for sale new for $926. It peaked my interest as I have been looking for a semi auto for skeet. I have been shooting trap a lot lately and wanted to get into skeet. I use 1 and 1/8 oz so the gun should cycle it fine right? Currently I am using a R870. What are your experiences with it is it good for what I intend to use it for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I was in the store today and saw a montefeltro 12 ga 28" for sale new for $926. It peaked my interest as I have been looking for a semi auto for skeet. I have been shooting trap a lot lately and wanted to get into skeet. I use 1 and 1/8 oz so the gun should cycle it fine right? Currently I am using a R870. What are your experiences with it is it good for what I intend to use it for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

From what I understand the monty and M2 are pretty much the same gun. My M2 cycles cheap 1 oz just fine and never fails with 1 1/8 oz. After you break it in it is guaranteed to cycle 1 1/8 oz 3 dram. That answers your question about cycling but I can answer your question about how it will work for skeet.

How do you break the gun in?

I cleaned off the action thoroughly. It has a coat of thick grease that keeps it from rusting for a long period of time. Then I put a light coat of gun oil on. Then I shot about 50 3" shells through it. Then I cleaned and oiled again, tested the light loads. I didn't actually do it that is how you do it my M2 cycled 1 oz perfectly out of the box.

The monty is a great gun for the money. That sounds like a good price. My gun shop has them for $1075.00 right now. My cousin as a Monty and it cycles 1 oz loads all day long. There is something different between the Monty and the m2 but I can't figure it out. They just feel different with the sight plane. I like the Monty better than the M2 but the M2 as the tougher finish.

hope this helps

Novaking