Reflex sight on an M4?

gmthecoolguy

If you end up getting one let us know how you like it. That's one of a few I was looking at too.

Hookster

Bought a T-1 on a LaRue mount for my M4. Was hoping for Kip's rail before mounting it. Unsure if it's a bogus complaint (poor install?) or real, but pics circulated showing damage to the rail/mount in this pairing. Of course, LaRue claims their mount works great on the M4. Anyway, I held off from mounting it and moved the T-1 to an FN PS90. It just makes more sense on that and put a Burris FastFire II on the shotgun. I find it a much sweeter set-up and less money. Prepared to buy whatever works best, but in this case I find the less expensive option is better. You might also consider the new smaller EoTechs and Trijicons. They all sit very low and don't block any field of view.

Edited by BigHat

The big three I'm considering are:

#1 Aimpoint T1 w/Larue mount (would be mounting on the beefier Sidearmor or KZ rail)

#2 Burris with the Larue mount

#3 Trijicon reflex

One thing I like about the T1 is, even if I didn't like it on the M4 for whatever reason I could just get the taller Larue mount for it and use it on an AR. We'll see though I'm going to take my time with the optic and see if I can check some of these out first hand at the next gun show.

Hookster

I liked the T1 enough to just order a second one for my AR15 project. I've had no issues with the LaRue mount on the Sidearmor rail. I've fed it a few boxes of 3" magnum 00 buckshot too. I keep checking the bottom of the mount, but I see absolutely no contact marks. I followed Mark LaRue's recommendation for the throw lever. It should be hard to close, and a real sumbitch to get off.

3774660536_7d944405bf.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2479/3774660536_16ce2dbfac_o.jpg

3720121278_3e23265fbb.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3517/3720121278_62b709340e_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/3720121318_4a87717354_o.jpg

The big three I'm considering are:

#1 Aimpoint T1 w/Larue mount (would be mounting on the beefier Sidearmor or KZ rail)

#2 Burris with the Larue mount

#3 Trijicon reflex

One thing I like about the T1 is, even if I didn't like it on the M4 for whatever reason I could just get the taller Larue mount for it and use it on an AR. We'll see though I'm going to take my time with the optic and see if I can check some of these out first hand at the next gun show.

Hookster

You really have to consider how you plan on using the sight. I'm primarily interested in home defense. For that application I'm leaning towards the Trijicon Reflex RX30. My reasoning is that the most likely scenario for home defense is the classic "bump in the night". If my M4 is by the bed or in the closet I want to grab it and be combat ready. The Trijicon is Fiber Optic and Tritium. It gets its illumination from ambient light and the tritium light source. No batteries, no buttons, no switches, pick it up, point, and shoot. Tritium lights rely on the radioactive decay of tritium gas in the tube. It will glow for 10-12 years and does not have to be "charged" in bright light like Luminova luminous paint.

My second choice would be one of the Aimpoint products. They claim anywhere from 5-8 years of continuous use from a set of batteries. That's amazing. I not thrilled with the idea of leaving it on constantly and otherwise you are back to twisting dials in the dark to get it to work.

If I win the lottery it will be Trijicon ACOG all the way.

Edited by OhioM4

My vote is going to be for the Trijicon RMR (Ruggedized Miniature Reflex) series sight. Specifically, I like the dual-illuminated battery-free model with the 9-MOA amber dot. Perfect for up-close work, small and light, rugged, and without batteries to fail on you.

I'll be getting one ... Once I win the Lottery or something. Stupid budget.

Edited by LeoAtrox

I did handle one of the Trijicon reflex sites briefly at a show about 1 1/2 years ago before I had been thinking about a sight for use on a Benelli. I remember being slightly put off by the heavy yellow/green filter that you're looking through. I guess this is necessary to give the non powered aiming point enough contrast to be easily viewed in the bright sunlight?

The Trijicon RMR LeoAtrox likes does look nice

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/More_Info.cfm?Item=RMR-Callouts.jpg&Act=img2&Partid=1

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=13

but I think I might prefer the powered version. it does look pretty rugged for that style of HWS but It would be nice if the offered an even more protective mounting like this one that Larue has for the Burris

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/catalog/fastfireani.gif

I'd defintely like to check the RMR out in person.

I think the T1 is still the frontrunner in my mind but the RMR may be closing the gap somewhat. I like the fact it would be a little more compact/low profile and I think the auto adjust for changing light would be good. Anyone here have first hand experience with the RMR?

Hookster

Edited by Hookster

You really have to consider how you plan on using the sight. I'm primarily interested in home defense. For that application I'm leaning towards the Trijicon Reflex RX30. My reasoning is that the most likely scenario for home defense is the classic "bump in the night". If my M4 is by the bed or in the closet I want to grab it and be combat ready. The Trijicon is Fiber Optic and Tritium. It gets its illumination from ambient light and the tritium light source. No batteries, no buttons, no switches, pick it up, point, and shoot. Tritium lights rely on the radioactive decay of tritium gas in the tube. It will glow for 10-12 years and does not have to be "charged" in bright light like Luminova luminous paint.

My second choice would be one of the Aimpoint products. They claim anywhere from 5-8 years of continuous use from a set of batteries. That's amazing. I not thrilled with the idea of leaving it on constantly and otherwise you are back to twisting dials in the dark to get it to work.

If I win the lottery it will be Trijicon ACOG all the way.

I like Trijicon's products but the reflex sights suck. They darken the lens to make the amber reticle stand out. It washes out against many backgrounds. As for the batteries don't worry about it with Aimpoint. Just turn it on and leave it on. That is what I do with my Aimpoint M4. I have not had to change the batteries and I have had it for a year now. 7 more to go. Batteries in Aimpoints are easier to change than tritium in the reflex and they both last about the same now.

Pat

Yeah that's a Docter red dot sight like this

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=543&back_row=2&categoryID=13

they can be mounted to most ACOGs for close in work.

Hookster

I was surprised to see a red dot mounted on top of the ACOG. It has to be sitting a good 4 inches above the rail. You would think that that far away from the bore center line the parallax would be horrendous. I also imagine the farther out you hang something on the gun the more flex and torque the device would be subjected to. I was surprised to see it.

I'm not an expert on them by any means but they're intended to be used in this way. I agree though it does seem a bit counter-intuitive that it would work well :confused: I did notice on their site that the Docter intended for ACOG use has a lot more adjustment range than their standard red dot reflex 260in @ 100yds vs 125in @ 100yds. This would help with sighting in with it sitting that far above the bore.

Anyone ever use a similar setup?

Edited by Hookster