Barrel Lenghth and Choke Tubes ?

Guest McDaddy

Guest McDaddy

My M1 field came with a 24" barrel which after shooting it this past weekend and dove yesterday, seems a little short. I really don't want to shell out the $$$ for a new barrel, so the "you know your a redneck" when adding an extended choke makes you think you have a longer barrel. My question is; is a patternmaster worth twice the money of a Briley or Trulock...and do you go ported or not? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Mc

"is a patternmaster worth twice the money of a Briley or Trulock"

Briley and Trulock make excellent chokes. I can't imagine a Patternmaster is twice as good.

"and do you go ported or not?"

For shotguns, porting is virtually ineffective at reducing recoil, regardless of claims to the contrary. I think I calculated that for a shotgun, porting is theoretically capable of reducing recoil by about 2%.

Ported chokes, since the holes are all around the tube's circumference, also can't do anything about muzzle jump. Ported barrels, where all the ports are on the top of the barrel, can reduce muzzle jump.

My M1 field came with a 24" barrel which after shooting it this past weekend and dove yesterday, seems a little short. I really don't want to shell out the $$$ for a new barrel, so the "you know your a redneck" when adding an extended choke makes you think you have a longer barrel. My question is; is a patternmaster worth twice the money of a Briley or Trulock...and do you go ported or not? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Mc

Ported or not Ported depends on the ammo you intend to use. I had horrible results with Federal Ammo that uses the FLITECONTROL® wad with a ported choke. Extended choke tubes would give you more length but it all depends on the constriction for patterns. You will want a pretty open choke for dove and I'm guessing you were shooting clays over the weekend. I cant recommend the Patternmaster Extended chokes because I do not own one, but it is designed to have a tight pattern and for use with 3.5" ammo, so from what you have described as your intended use of your shotgun I think you might want to consider a different choke that is more open. What were the actual problems or dislikes you had using your 24" barrel?

Guest McDaddy

Not really a problem...it just seems short after shooting O/U's with 26" barrels and an 11-87 with a 28". I probably would prefer the 26" if I had one, but I am not shelling out $$ for one. I am looking at the Briley Imp 0.10 or LM 0.15 for quail and the IM 0.25 for pheasant. I shoot AA supersports for dove and quail and shoot 2.75 or 3" 4, 5, 6's at the big boys (usually whatever happens to be left in the vest.) Again, it's just asethics, but I like the looks of the ported tube. I do not want any issues with wads hanging on the tubes though. Thanks for you help and input.

Do not get a ported chokes they are a waste of money and metal. They will not make a difference in recoil, at least not that you can tell. The wads are slightly smaller diameter than the barrel and will expand to scrape the barrel and the wad will scrap the holes and slow the wad down. plain extended chokes are the best patterning. You could always get a briley barrel extension, it screws into your choke threads and extends 4" or 6" and you can screw your existing chokes into the end of it:

http://www.briley.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=133

BTW tyson, notice how all the black cloud choke tubes aren't ported? That is because black cloud uses FC wads to.

BTW tyson, notice how all the black cloud choke tubes aren't ported? That is because black cloud uses FC wads to.

I took note of your advice on the turkey post. I didn't recommend them to him. I just said that ammo would be a factor in getting a ported or non ported choke, not that I have seen any advantage to a getting a ported choke, but I'm sure there has to be some applications where a ported choke is good.

Edited by tyson129

I took note of your advice on the turkey post. I didn't recommend them to him. I just said that ammo would be a factor in getting a ported or non ported choke, not that I have seen any advantage to a getting a ported choke, but I'm sure there has to be some applications where a ported choke is good.

Yes I know what you meant, I was just sharing an interesting fact I found out to back up what you said.

So doesn't that mean less metal?

Yes that means less metal ON the choke, but, the metal taken off the choke is wasted metal. Because porting the chokes serves no purpose but to look cool and bring up prices, it doesn't pattern better, and usually has a slight negative affect on the patterning. It also has negligible recoil reduction, I have been down the ported choke road, I got just as sore, with just as many shots. That metal that is taken of the ported choke to make it ported is wasted because it is thrown away when it could have a more use full purpose on the choke instead of in the trash. Need more explaining?

Yes that means less metal ON the choke, but, the metal taken off the choke is wasted metal. Because porting the chokes serves no purpose but to look cool and bring up prices, it doesn't pattern better, and usually has a slight negative affect on the patterning. It also has negligible recoil reduction, I have been down the ported choke road, I got just as sore, with just as many shots. That metal that is taken of the ported choke to make it ported is wasted because it is thrown away when it could have a more use full purpose on the choke instead of in the trash. Need more explaining?

You don't have explain it to me. I agree with you.

Not to play devil's Advocate but you would think that the metal taken out would be melted down and reused instead of being thrown away. Trapshooter1 can you think of a situation where a ported choke would be better for any of shotgun purpose in the hunting circle? It seems like you despise them.

Not to play devil's Advocate but you would think that the metal taken out would be melted down and reused instead of being thrown away. Trapshooter1 can you think of a situation where a ported choke would be better for any of shotgun purpose in the hunting circle? It seems like you despise them.

Door breaching chokes one I can think of.

rem20barrel20002.jpg?t=1252207173

Yes I guess they may recycle but if anything a waste of money. No a ported choke has no use in the hunting situation and no use in the target shooting or tactical situations door breacers being the exception.