Cartridge stuck in magazine?

Buzzworm

While dove hunting in south Texas my SBE II stopped cycling shells from the magazine into the chamber. Even when I manually retract the bolt to unload the gun the shells stay in the magazine. Any help would be appreciated. I dont want to send it back for warranty work if I dont have to. Thanks!

This is my first Benelli. When I press the cartridge drop lever the shell will eject under the carrier where I can then manually retract the bolt and the shell will load into the chamber. I believe that I should not have to do this everytime. It is impossible for me to shoot doubles now without going through all of these steps to chamber a 2nd round.

It is impossible for me to shoot doubles now without going through all of these steps to chamber a 2nd round.

Up to right there I was going to say that your gun was working as it should and that it was just expectations that were off.

Let me ask you this, if you put a round in the chamber, close the bolt, put some rounds in the magazine, then pull the trigger (not in the house obviously :p) what happens?

While dove hunting in south Texas my SBE II stopped cycling shells from the magazine into the chamber. Even when I manually retract the bolt to unload the gun the shells stay in the magazine. Any help would be appreciated. I dont want to send it back for warranty work if I dont have to. Thanks!

Two separate issues:

1) You stated "While dove hunting in south Texas my SBE II stopped cycling shells from the magazine into the chamber." That would be abnormal.

2) You also stated "Even when I manually retract the bolt to unload the gun the shells stay in the magazine." This IS normal unless you press the cartridge drop lever each time.

You either have to fire the gun or push the cartridge drop lever to allow the next round to cycle. You cannot empty the magazine just by cycling the bolt manually.

Failure to feed from the mag while firing is a problem. I am not familiar with the SBE II but many posts here concern low recoil ammo and failure to cycle. I believe the Inertia Drive models also require the butt stock to be firmly pressed against your shoulder. It may fail to cycle if you are trying to shoot from the hip for instance.

The quick explanation as to why the mag tube does not feed when you manually cycle the bolt is a feature integrated in the shotgun. This allows you to replace the shell in the chamber quickly in case you need to. Say you want to switch to a 3 1/2 Black Cloud to shoot a Canadian goose you whould not have to empty the entire gun. You will just have to get used to the "safer" way of unloading the gun by pressing the shell detent on the inside of the loading ramp and catching the shells as they come out of the bottom. Safer because you will only have the origional round in the chamber and not the following 2+ after.

Hummm intresting. Dose the cartrage drop lever work like that on all firearms, or just a select few. Because my Benelli M3 cycles shells out of the magazine when working the action by hand. Also if i reamber correctly it also states in order to stop a round being fed into the chamber is to push up on the loading gate and then cycle the action to clear the barrel with out loading a cartrage, But once the action is all the way back the gate lifts up so you cant place a different shell in.

Jesse

...Because my Benelli M3 cycles shells out of the magazine when working the action by hand...

Jesse

My understanding was the M3 was a hybrid between a pump and semi-auto. The pump action may override the drop lever or make it redundant. On the Benelli's, I believe all the current semi-autos require the use of the drop lever (except M3). The confusion arises when shooters are familiar with the action of the pump and expect the semi-auto to cycle the same way. A previous post in this thread mentioned it was a design feature to allows the quick change of the chambered cartridge (buckshot to slug for instance.) I don't have enough experience to tell you how common the function is or if its peculiar to Benelli.

Does your M3 have a cartridge drop lever?

Edited by OhioM4

Oh yes my M3 dose have a cartrage drop lever. and when i push it. it dose toss the cartrage on top of the lift gate. I guess it will be one of them misterys, i could see how switching a shell would be easer if it dont cycle the next shell from the magazine if you cycle it by hand. thanks for the reply Ohio M4

Jesse