SBE II Recoil question

ldyates

I have a SBE II as does my hunting friend. We took turns shooting the others this weekend because he had some concerns with recoil. Without a doubt; his SBE II had a heavier felt recoil than mine. His is used and has two seasons of heavy duck/geese loads through it which may offer an explanation.

Question: What spring/part(s) could he replace to make it "like new" if that is possible? We were shooting #8 field loads and it functioned flawlessly so I am reluctant to advise him on a change.

Thanks for reading.

Larry

Edited by ldyates

I have a SBE II as does my hunting friend. We took turns shooting the others this weekend because he had some concerns with recoil. Without a doubt; his SBE II had a heavier felt recoil than mine. His is used and has two seasons of heavy duck/geese loads through it which may offer an explanation.

Question: What spring/part(s) could he replace to make it "like new" if that is possible? We were shooting #8 field loads and it functioned flawlessly so I am reluctant to advise him on a change.

Thanks for reading.

Larry

If it cycles and you can stand the recoil then there isn't a problem. I guess the recoil spring could have gotten compressed over the years and it could make a slight difference. Check to make sure you are using the same shells and also check the recoil pads of both guns. Like I said if it works don't fix it.

If it cycles and you can stand the recoil then there isn't a problem. I guess the recoil spring could have gotten compressed over the years and it could make a slight difference. Check to make sure you are using the same shells and also check the recoil pads of both guns. Like I said if it works don't fix it.

I agree with Trapshooter1 here but if the problem is bothering your friend it may be a weathered or worn in recoil pad that needs to be replaced. Heck if he wanted to he could even get an aftermarket recoil pad if he thought it would reduce recoil better than Benelli's, not to mention probably save him some loot.

Good luck

I agree with Trapshooter1 here but if the problem is bothering your friend it may be a weathered or worn in recoil pad that needs to be replaced. Heck if he wanted to he could even get an aftermarket recoil pad if he thought it would reduce recoil better than Benelli's, not to mention probably save him some loot.

Good luck

Yea I have heard the limbsaver pads make a big difference. This would be a good fix if the recoil is annoying.

Idyates,

First, if your friend likes the ways yours feels then I would make sure he has his gun set up just like yours with the same shim kit. Fit is the biggest factor in recoil. A gun with a A shim and one with the D shim has a huge difference in where the stock will sit on the shoulder and so on.

#2- make sure that his gun is thoroughly cleaned and is running smooth. Clean the recoil spring and everything.

#3- It could be the actually Spring in the stock. There is a possibility although extremely rare that this spring will lose its spring. If that happens the bolt could slam into the back of the receiver under heavy loads. Like I said it is rare but can and does happen. Some will suggest a surefire spring kit as they are bullet proof but I say if that is the case just get a new spring and put it in. It is cheaper and lasts a LONG time. How long do stock springs last. I have a SS which comes with a lighter butt spring than what comes on the waterfowl models with over 50k of rounds through it with mostly heavy 1 1/8 loads at 1300FPS. The whole system is still rockin out and still the stock springs.

#4- the pad might be worn out but again this depends on the use and how the gun is taken care of. There are other aftermarket pop on pads that have been said to feel better than the stock pad. Again I think these pads will not wear out just by shooting with them but I could see it wearing do to how the gun is handled or how it sits in the blind w/ mud, water etc..etc...

Just my 2 cents.

Replace the stock Benelli recoil pad with a LimbSaver. LimbSaver makes two sizes that fit without modification and the reduction in recoil is very very noticeable. They pads will run only about $40. I replaced the stock pad on my new SBEII with a LimbSaver with a 10401 and the recoil pad on my 20ga Supersport with a 10400 speed pad. I can now shoot 3.5" steel shells out of my SBEII without wanting to go hide somewhere. I also like the way that the LimbSaver fits my shoulder better than the Benelli gel pad. The off center curve in the Benelli pad causes the gun to twist a bit when I put it up. By the way, if anyone needs a Benelli gel recoil pad, let me know - I have all three LOP sizes and I am not using them.