What's Your Pistol Preference? Benelli Doesn't Make One!

OhioM4

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to carry a Ed Brown Kobra Carry 1911, but I wasn't that impressed with it really. Great to carry, but it wasn't as fast as I wanted and had no light option..

So I now carry a Springfield Armory XDm in 9mm with a Surefire weapon light attached. My low light fighting capability went through the roof after switching to this. I'm trying to source a good holster for my X400 I recently bought though.

Just wanted to weigh in on 1911's. I hear troubling things about Kimbers. Some are great and folks love them. (My guys in the Corps use them.) But some guys don't like Kimbers. Same for Ed Browns; although I hear much more good than bad about Browns. I think most people who don't like them just find that they just don't feel right for them. More of a preference than a reliability thing.

What I hear most good things about is Wilson Combat and a guy named Dave Lauck (D&L Sports). I haven't had my hands on anything from Dave Lauck; but it used to be said that he could take a standard 1911 and turn it into a nail driver for less than half the cost of the other "custom" 1911 makers. That said, I checked out the D&L Sports prices, and they are not cheap ... Still, each one is custom crafted by Dave Lauck; so I'm sure the quality that was there is still present and accounted for.

I'm glad I at least picked a 40cal pistol. The support for 45s appears to be the majority. If I bought a 9mm you guys would probably toss me off the forum. I'll have to rent a few 45s. I do like the single stack magazine for a CCW. It doesn't look like there is any problem concealing the barrel length. The thickness looks like the trick to CCW. The SIG 239 may fit my needs. Its a compact, single stack available in 40cal. That way I only have one cartridge to stockpile.

I'm glad I at least picked a 40cal pistol. The support for 45s appears to be the majority. If I bought a 9mm you guys would probably toss me off the forum. I'll have to rent a few 45s. I do like the single stack magazine for a CCW. It doesn't look like there is any problem concealing the barrel length. The thickness looks like the trick to CCW. The SIG 239 may fit my needs. Its a compact, single stack available in 40cal. That way I only have one cartridge to stockpile.

I use a Smith and Wesson M&P 45. Its a 10 +1 single stack that comes with 3 different hand grips, so that you can customize the grip to your hand size. Rent it at the range if they have one. Outstanding Performance, Reliability, and if you purchase one remember to get the night sights :D!

Good Luck

Being very happy with my first firearm purchase (the M4) I find myself blinded by brand loyalty. I was seriously looking at the MR1 as an AR Rifle but, some of you guys with more experience waved enough flags I'm putting off that decision until I get more info. I find myself purchasing a pistol as my second acquisition. Benelli does not have any pistol offerings as far as I know and a short barrel, pistol grip shotgun won't do.

I just picked up a SIG P226SCT this holiday weekend after many months of research and range rentals. I took it out for the first time yesterday and am very happy with it. The fit, finish, and function easily exceeded my expectations. It's a bit big for concealed carry but I'm shooting it well.

I've seen a lot of postings here of members' assault rifle preferences but I can't recall much being written about pistols.

What pistols do you guys own and what function are they for; taget, home defence, concealed carry, etc??

Actually they do make handguns but they are for competition (Olympic Competitors use them)

http://www.berettaaustralia.com/dati/ContentManager/files/benelli/MP90S-World-Cup_32-2000.jpg

So I take that no one considers Beretta to Benelli as Chevrolet is to Pontiac? Unless you buy one of The Benelli match pistols (which would have no use beyond that) Beretta is it.

I myself am usually brand be it cars guns or ammunition with the exception that I use Federal in my SG and Winchester in my HG. I was gun ho Benelli/Beretta for quite a while but got sick of the sights falling apart on my PX4's. I have had at least one of each caliber so far but currently my HG of choice is a Smith & Wesson M&P40 with OE laser grips.

So I take that no one considers Beretta to Benelli as Chevrolet is to Pontiac? Unless you buy one of The Benelli match pistols (which would have no use beyond that) Beretta is it.

I myself am usually brand be it cars guns or ammunition with the exception that I use Federal in my SG and Winchester in my HG. I was gun ho Benelli/Beretta for quite a while but got sick of the sights falling apart on my PX4's. I have had at least one of each caliber so far but currently my HG of choice is a Smith & Wesson M&P40 with OE laser grips.

The Smith & Wesson M&P is such a great gun series. I have it in 45 acp and it is unstoppable. When they first came out they were doing a bunch of shows on TV that tested their performance and ruggedness. In one show, I believe it was "Sighting In" they put it into a rock tumbler for 10 minutes with giant rocks, they said it was the equivalent of aging it 50 years...not to mention the wear and tear it received. They took it out of the rock tumbler and chambered a round and pulled the trigger via a string and BOOM! From there I was a believer and called up my gun dealer Immediately and ordered one with night sights (Black of Course - Sorry to anyone who owns the Earth colored one but I find it to be hideous). The only test that I have seen on TV where the M&P series did not hold up well was a test for military use in the dessert where they filled the gun with very fine sand. That was the only thing that kept the gun from shooting and a reminder to all military who are stationed in the dessert is to always keep their firearms clean and sand free.

I have NEVER ONCE had ANY PROBLEMS with this gun and although I clean it after every shooting session, I have faith in it, and would never be worried about it not performing, which to me I find Great because I have a concealed carry permit and also bait bear so this gun is with me everywhere and I need a gun that will always perform and a gun that I don't have to worry about.

What a GUN! Love it! :D

Tough decision...I like them all

1911006.jpg

I really like those little Springfields. How does that feel with the Hogue grip compared to the commander framed guns when shooting?

I always feel like I need something more to hang onto with those short .45's.

That laser sighted Kimber looks interesting too.

Very impressive collection;)that.

Guest McDaddy

The Hogue feels great on the Springfield; however, I have gone back with the original thin cross cannon wood grips with a Pierce finger insert under the grip. Looks stock but has a little more girth and the finger grooves. I'll try to post a new pic. The Kimber with Crimson Trace is nice but my wife claims it. The Colt in the middle is a custom shop LW Commander serial number 129 of 500. The SIS is nice, but the shooter in the group is the STI. The Micro Springer and the STI both shoot wonderfully.

Obviously...I like the .45 caliber. Several 9's and a couple of 40's in the stable as well, but the .45 is my weapon of choice.

The Smith & Wesson M&P is such a great gun series. I have it in 45 acp and it is unstoppable. When they first came out they were doing a bunch of shows on TV that tested their performance and ruggedness. In one show, I believe it was "Sighting In" they put it into a rock tumbler for 10 minutes with giant rocks, they said it was the equivalent of aging it 50 years...not to mention the wear and tear it received. They took it out of the rock tumbler and chambered a round and pulled the trigger via a string and BOOM! From there I was a believer and called up my gun dealer Immediately and ordered one with night sights (Black of Course - Sorry to anyone who owns the Earth colored one but I find it to be hideous). The only test that I have seen on TV where the M&P series did not hold up well was a test for military use in the dessert where they filled the gun with very fine sand. That was the only thing that kept the gun from shooting and a reminder to all military who are stationed in the dessert is to always keep their firearms clean and sand free.

I have NEVER ONCE had ANY PROBLEMS with this gun and although I clean it after every shooting session, I have faith in it, and would never be worried about it not performing, which to me I find Great because I have a concealed carry permit and also bait bear so this gun is with me everywhere and I need a gun that will always perform and a gun that I don't have to worry about.

What a GUN! Love it! :D

Well I guess it's the best way to own a Glock without owning a Glock.:)

The Glock is a nice weapon my brothers have a few, but just keep in mind that its "Trigger Safety" causes more accidental self shootings than any other gun on the market, Just ask your local law enforcement :)

I have owned a G17 and G21C and can honestly say the cult like following behind them is silly, I don't know whats worse the .45 myths or the Glock lovers tales. Sure the S&W takes pages from the Glock design but the also fixed or made better versus what sucks on the Glock.

The Glock is a nice weapon my brothers have a few, but just keep in mind that its "Trigger Safety" causes more accidental self shootings than any other gun on the market, Just ask your local law enforcement :)

The "trigger safety" does not cause any accidents, dumbass LEOs and civilians with improper training cause "accidents".

With proper training and usage, coupled with a good holster, safetyless striker fired pistols are just as safe as any other pistol on the market, if not more so.

Saying that a glock's lack of safety causes accidents is like saying that your keyboard made a spelling mistake.

The "trigger safety" does not cause any accidents, dumbass LEOs and civilians with improper training cause "accidents".

With proper training and usage, coupled with a good holster, safetyless striker fired pistols are just as safe as any other pistol on the market, if not more so.

Saying that a glock's lack of safety causes accidents is like saying that your keyboard made a spelling mistake.

Yep, with an emphasis on the 'dumbass' behind the gun part :)

I'm partial to Glock .40's, S&W .38/.357 revolvers, and maybe even a S&W M&P .45 by the end of the year...

No its not at all like that, do some research and you tell me what gun is involved in more accidental self shootings than the Glock. I know Duggan you are so highly trained but statistically the Glock causes most of the accidental self shootings amongst officers. Maybe its a numbers game because of the fact that Glock comes in with the lowest quote when a police department gets ready to buy new pistols, but from what my local law enforcement has said to me and what my concealed weapons permit trainer who is a retired cop from New York City is that Glocks cause the most accidental self shootings due to it's Trigger Safety.

Prove me wrong with data, don't just trash talk. I never said I didn't like the Glock, I shoot my Bro's Glocks all the time and they are a blast. My brothers and I have never shot our selves, and I'm sure that a lot of the police officers who have shot themselves accidentally are highly trained, so what is it that caused them to have an AD?

Edited by tyson129

When using statistics it's important to realize that correlation does not always prove causation. I think what Duggan is trying to convey is that the trigger safety itself is not defective. When making a statement like the trigger safety causes accidental shootings, it is going along the same line of logic of "gun's cause killings".

When you get down to it the gun wouldn't cause the killing it is the person using the gun, just as the safety does not cause accidental shootings, but rather incorrectly handling the gun.

So if you want proof. you should provide some "data" of an actual malfunction of the trigger safety not data proving human error with a more complex safety system. As it is now your data of "most" accidental shootings is not enough to make such a broad statement as (paraphrased) "Glocks trigger safety is bad, and is at fault for accidental shootings"

P.S. I don't really like Glocks for anything other reason than i don't find them aesthetically pleasing.

Edited by Renault

When using statistics it's important to realize that correlation does not always prove causation. I think what Duggan is trying to convey is that the trigger safety itself is not defective. When making a statement like the trigger safety causes accidental shootings, it is going along the same line of logic of "gun's cause killings".

When you get down to it the gun wouldn't cause the killing it is the person using the gun, just as the safety does not cause accidental shootings, but rather incorrectly handling the gun.

So if you want proof. you should provide some "data" of an actual malfunction of the trigger safety not data proving human error with a more complex safety system. As it is now your data of "most" accidental shootings is not enough to make such a broad statement as (paraphrased) "Glocks trigger safety is bad, and is at fault for accidental shootings"

P.S. I don't really like Glocks for anything other reason than i don't find them aesthetically pleasing.

What a great response! That is exactly what needed to be said. Good job!! P.S. I don't like the way the look either..

No its not at all like that, do some research and you tell me what gun is involved in more accidental self shootings than the Glock. I know Duggan you are so highly trained but statistically the Glock causes most of the accidental self shootings amongst officers. Maybe its a numbers game because of the fact that Glock comes in with the lowest quote when a police department gets ready to buy new pistols, but from what my local law enforcement has said to me and what my concealed weapons permit trainer who is a retired cop from New York City is that Glocks cause the most accidental self shootings due to it's Trigger Safety.

Prove me wrong with data, don't just trash talk. I never said I didn't like the Glock, I shoot my Bro's Glocks all the time and they are a blast. My brothers and I have never shot our selves, and I'm sure that a lot of the police officers who have shot themselves accidentally are highly trained, so what is it that caused them to have an AD?

Having a "trigger safety" means that you actually have to follow shooting fundamentals, IE keeping your finger the **** off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. I am consistently amazed how many people I see who do not follow this rule.

Most ADs seem to come from improper draws and holstering, either from a shirt or something getting caught in the trigger guard, or from a finger being where it shouldnt be, which is 100% operator error.

I don't doubt at all that glocks have the highest AD rate ... if you are a dumbass, you should not have a glock, no question about it. If you want to mexican carry with no holster, you should not have a glock. If you want to ignore any and all trigger discipline, you should not have a glock.

The "trigger safety" assumes that the operator is going to be competent enough to follow the rest of the shooting rules in order that ADs are not an issue ... but obviously this is not the case with everyone, as there is bad technique and dangerous practices that are rampant in professional and unprofessional people alike.

I do not claim and have never claimed to be a super trained operator commando elite scout sniper ... I am just am observant civilian that sees trends and patterns in life.

The glock design is not dangerous ... improper usage of said design is what is dangerous. In fact, the glock has many safety features that are specifically incorporated to prevent ADs ... I would feel very comfortable throwing a loaded glock across a room ... would you be so comfortable with a 1911 or any hammer fired weapon? I think not.

The old adage holds true ... it is a poor carpenter who blames his tools.