What is the inside Diameter of the SuperNova barrel?

tyson129

Would it be easier to ask what is the outside diameter of your choke tubes threading? Does anyone have a caliper handy? This question only pertains to the SuperNova's barrel. Thank you for anyone's correct answer.

My inside barrel is .783. This is also the measurment for the outside of the choke. (not counting threads). Yours might be a bit different.

ID of the barrel is not the same as the OD of the choke or the choke tube threads. Make sure you are clear what you are asking for.

Can't say for Benelli, but my other Italian-made gun has the barrel inside diameter stamped, in millimeters, on the barrel. It'll be approximately 18.4 mm or 18.5 mm. Thereabouts.

Direct measurement requires the use of an inside micrometer or inside calipers long enough to get past the point where the choke starts.

Nominal 12 gauge diameter in inches is 0.729.

That will vary if the barrel is backbored.

Edited by timb99

ID of the barrel is not the same as the OD of the choke or the choke tube threads. Make sure you are clear what you are asking for.

If you measure the lowest depth of your chokes threads it should give you the highest point of your barrel's threading which should be the diameter of the barrel...right?;) As far as being clear if you combine the first post with the second post you get the full post. Novaking understood it. Thanks again NovaKing!

If you measure the lowest depth of your chokes threads it should give you the highest point of your barrel's threading which should be the diameter of the barrel...right?;) As far as being clear if you combine the first post with the second post you get the full post. Novaking understood it. Thanks again NovaKing!

No, the area where the choke goes in is recessed so that if you put a pencil in your muzzle past the choke, and then pull the pencil past the choke you will feel the pencil jump down a hair. These diameters ( OD of the choke and ID of the barrel) are different. The begging of the choke's ID is bigger than the barrel ID, this means the choke OD is much bigger.

"If you measure the lowest depth of your chokes threads it should give you the highest point of your barrel's threading which should be the diameter of the barrel...right?"

No. Absolutely not.

You can buy a "cylinder" choke tube that has the same ID as the barrel, right? Your cylinder choke tube MUST have some metal between the deepest valley of its threading and the ID of the tube. Right?

So the depth of the thread cannot be the same dimension as the ID of the barrel.

The barrel ID is NOT 0.783. That would be larger than the standard nominal bore ID of a 10 gauge.

I think your logic is a little flawed.

If the measurement you are trying to obtain is the nominal ID of the barrel, which is the same dimension from the end of the forcing cone, which is just after the chamber, to the point where the choke tube starts, then you need an inside micrometer or an inside caliper deep enough to get down to that point.

The dimension will be anywhere from 0.723 to about 0.750, but unlikely to be any bigger than 0.750.

Tim

If the measurement you are trying to obtain is the nominal ID of the barrel, which is the same dimension from the end of the forcing cone, which is just after the chamber, to the point where the choke tube starts, then you need an inside micrometer or an inside caliper deep enough to get down to that point.

The dimension will be anywhere from 0.723 to about 0.750, but unlikely to be any bigger than 0.750.

Tim

I measured it where the choke tube starts. I came up with .783

Let me get this straight

Unscrew the choke.

measure with inside caliplers

measure right before the threads start.

yes or no

Edited by Novaking

I think what you are measuring is the recessed area of the barrel that accepts the choke tube.

What you need to measure is the ID of the barrel, deeper than the length of the choke tube.

There is a step diameter change in the barrel at the point where the choke tube seats into the barrel.

I think what you are measuring is the recessed area of the barrel that accepts the choke tube.

What you need to measure is the ID of the barrel, deeper than the length of the choke tube.

There is a step diameter change in the barrel at the point where the choke tube seats into the barrel.

That must be it , I think that is what he asked for

If so, then I misunderstood.

I thought he wanted the actual barrel inside diameter.

I don't think you were misunderstood, OK Nova king, did you measure the barrel where the choke is or normally is? if so that is not the true ID of the barrel. That is the ID of the choke cavity or the ID of the choke if you left it in the barrel. Any where you measure a choke will give you a different diameter than the barrel, unless you measure about an inch inside the wider part of the choke, but that isn't a good way to measure either. To find the ID of the barrel, you must measure somewhere between the end of the choke or where it would be, and the forcing cone the tapered area between the chamber and barrel (looks like a cone). It is impossible to measure the ID with a standard caliper, unless you found a dowel rod that fit perfectly down the barrel and measured it.

I don't think you were misunderstood, OK Nova king, did you measure the barrel where the choke is or normally is? if so that is not the true ID of the barrel. That is the ID of the choke cavity or the ID of the choke if you left it in the barrel. Any where you measure a choke will give you a different diameter than the barrel, unless you measure about an inch inside the wider part of the choke, but that isn't a good way to measure either. To find the ID of the barrel, you must measure somewhere between the end of the choke or where it would be, and the forcing cone the tapered area between the chamber and barrel (looks like a cone). It is impossible to measure the ID with a standard caliper, unless you found a dowel rod that fit perfectly down the barrel and measured it.

He asked what the measurement of the outside of the choke. Thats what I gave him. I don't know what he needs it for. I don't know how to measure the ID.