I must have to much free time

Trapshooter1

I had the idea of co2 powered shotshells. I was thinking about using the firing pin to break the seal and shoot the slug. I realized that a co2 cartridge is about the size of a 12 ga bore, so I put it in an empty shell and what do you know. I took the primer out and drilled a big hole and the firing pin could reach the co2 easy. It is to big for the benelli bore, but maybe it would work in a 10 ga or an over bored barrel. It fits in the chamber and cycles in my 870 supermag. Here is some pics:

Co2s2.jpg

Co2S1.jpg

Can't wait for the, "Hey, ya'll watch this!" moment on this one. ;)

Yeah ... Isn't CO2 liquid when under pressure? Wouldn't that cause some issues having liquid CO2 shot back into the receiver under pressure? What would that do to the gas ports on gas-operated autoloaders? Would there be sufficient recoil to compress the recoil spring on a recoil-operated autoloader? If you ever shoot that thing, do yourself a favor and test it from a distance in a side-by-side rather than an autoloader or pump gun.

Edited by LeoAtrox

Those little cartridges shoot pretty far. I had a box of them when I was a kid. They were used for some industrial process. Instead of piercing the end with a hollow needle there was a little peg on the end that was really easy to break off. They do shoot liquid CO2 and frost over instantly.

You will probably have better luck with an Estes Model Rocket engine and use a primed shotshell to ignite the engine.

WHO THE **** SAID THAT!

NOT ME!

I disclaim any liability whatsoever should any one attempt to build a really cool rocket gun.

I am not actually going to shoot that I just thought it might be a good idea for a powder replacement, I didn't think about the liquid co2 going into the receiver. A while back, a friend of mine put one on a make shift log ramp in a fire and shot it into a field and it went in a slightly different direction and hit a grain buggy. When we checked it out it had a big bad dent in it. With a barrel to help direct the gasses, it could have enough power to kill a deer.

I am not actually going to shoot that I just thought it might be a good idea for a powder replacement, I didn't think about the liquid co2 going into the receiver. A while back, a friend of mine put one on a make shift log ramp in a fire and shot it into a field and it went in a slightly different direction and hit a grain buggy. When we checked it out it had a big bad dent in it. With a barrel to help direct the gasses, it could have enough power to kill a deer.

Trapshooter1, why don't you design a gun for shooting this off. Think of it as a potato gun type of assembly. Test your theory.

Trapshooter1, why don't you design a gun for shooting this off. Think of it as a potato gun type of assembly. Test your theory.

With the upcoming seasons I wont have the time to, maybe sometime in the off season. One idea for the design if I ever decide to try it seriously, is using heat to increase pressure. I could get some serious speed with a proper fitted heated pipe, but the cartridge probably won't fly strait enough to make 2 foot groups at 10 yards. I would need to really commit to design something accurate.

With the upcoming seasons I wont have the time to, maybe sometime in the off season. One idea for the design if I ever decide to try it seriously, is using heat to increase pressure. I could get some serious speed with a proper fitted heated pipe, but the cartridge probably won't fly strait enough to make 2 foot groups at 10 yards. I would need to really commit to design something accurate.

True, but still one of the most original ideas I have seen in a long time, and a fun one at that. Def don't waste time on that with the upcoming seasons. What are you going for first in your neck of the woods?

I am already going after doves but in the woods the first thing will probably be squirrel with my new 22 on its way today.

What did you get for a .22? Tell me you have a bull barrel on it...PLEASE! I love bull barrel .22s, like my dad's Ruger 10/22. They are so freaking accurate, fun, and cheap to shoot.

What did you get for a .22? Tell me you have a bull barrel on it...PLEASE! I love bull barrel .22s, like my dad's Ruger 10/22. They are so freaking accurate, fun, and cheap to shoot.

Look at the "got another one" thread. No I do not have a bull barrel on it, It is free floated though and is very accurate, probably more so than your dad's ruger if that is the only upgrade. I know what you mean about fun and cheap to shoot. I shot a pepsi can filled with water with a CCI 22 mag ballistic tip and it blew it into 3 pieces. I can put 5 shots in under 1/2" with a proper rest.