Dave's Metal Works extension question

rmcalhany

Just got my DMW extension for my Benelli M2 Tactical. I have some questions I thought you guys would know the answer to.

The factory tube had a metal cap in the end, and no follower.

DMW's package has no cap at the end of the tube, and a red follower.

Is it right to just assemble the tube, follower and spring, without anything capping off the hole at the end? That seems odd to me.

If that is right, the next question, is which spring should I use? Does it matter?

Thanks.

Robert

Did you buy the tube kit new?

What length is the ext tube (how many extra does it add?)

It should have come with a spring and the end cap which looks like a follower (the end cap use to be black)

Depending on the number of rounds the ext tube adds you might be able to use the factory spring but as rule of thumb your spring should extend 12" -15" past the end of the ext tube (uncompressed)

Hope that helps

Yes. New from Midway.

I can't post a link yet with my post count, but follow this route on Midway's site:

Homepage > Gun Parts > Universal Gun Parts > Shotgun Magazine Extension Tubes & Clamps >

It was the 3 round extension. Mag tube is now flush with my 18.5" barrel.

Ok, then the "end cap" is red and looks just like the nordic components follower I was using (a little smaller though). In fact, the Midway webpage, see link above, calls it a follower.

So, I take it that I'm not supposed to use my NC follower with this setup. That's a shame, I just bought it.

Odd that DMW uses the follower to seal the end of the tube.

I really hate the red end. Guess I'll have to have someone re-anodize it for me.

As for the spring, I'll have to measure things.

Thanks.

Robert

Yes. New from Midway.

I can't post a link yet with my post count, but follow this route on Midway's site:

Homepage > Gun Parts > Universal Gun Parts > Shotgun Magazine Extension Tubes & Clamps >

It was the 3 round extension. Mag tube is now flush with my 18.5" barrel.

Ok, then the "end cap" is red and looks just like the nordic components follower I was using (a little smaller though). In fact, the Midway webpage, see link above, calls it a follower.

So, I take it that I'm not supposed to use my NC follower with this setup. That's a shame, I just bought it.

Odd that DMW uses the follower to seal the end of the tube.

I really hate the red end. Guess I'll have to have someone re-anodize it for me.

As for the spring, I'll have to measure things.

Thanks.

Robert

Here is the link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=180456

That is the link, but doesn't show the follower. That's why I suggested clicking on the tubes & clamps link above that product. Then going to the DMW products (link on the left) to display all the DMW extension tubes. There you see the follower in the kits.

I'm guessing this really was intended to be a follower, and not a cap for the end of the tube. Although, I don't know how to cap the tube.

I've sent an email to DMW to get an explanation.

I'll also take some pics tonight and post them tomorrow.

Robert

My guess is the kit you received is missing the end cap.

The red follower is just that a follower.

If you don't hear back from DMW right away contact Midway and have them pull a kit and check it for an end cap. (should be black/blued steel)

Good luck (I will let you know when I receive you trigger groups)

Jeff

Just spoke w/ Midway. Doesn't come w/ cap. The factory one doesn't work as the DMW tube seems a hair narrower in diameter.

I took some pics, but can't post them here because of my post count (nor can I post links).

If you guys go to brian enos's forum, in the 3-gun shotgun technical discussion section, I've been able to post links to pictures in a similar thread I have going there.

I'll call DMW later today to see if I can get this resolved.

So the consensus here is that in addition to the red follower, there was supposed to be a black end cap.

thx

Robert

The DMW tube kit I had came with a black end cap (looked similar to a follower) but did not come with a red follower.

If I were you I would wrap up the DMW tube kit and send it back to Midway and buy a Nordic Kit you will be happy you did.

Oh and the Nordic kit does come with an end cap.

Good Luck

My issue with the NC tubes is that I didn't want to have any writing on the barrel. Their website shows their logo on the side.

That being said, I just spoke with Dave at DMW and he says that he changed the color of the cap from black to red.

He did say that it can be used either as a cap/end piece OR a follower (hence the color change).

If used as a follower, then the NC follower I have is fine to use as the cap/end-piece.

He did mention that he still has some black caps, and is swapping the red one out for me.

So all will work out in the end. But some sort of writeup in the package or something would have helped with the confusion.

Thanks everyone.

Robert

• 2 weeks later...