Pheasant Numbers

BlackDogs3

Let me rephrase the question:

How are the pheasant numbers on public land. I really don't care about pheasant numbers on game farms.

I learned last year that the great pheasant hunting in SD only pertains to $400 a day game farms or private land. Spent a week in pheasant central, saw hundreds of pheasants, but nothing in the land open to the public. Won't waste my money in SD again.

The ND report is promising, but I have driven 94 between Dickensen and Bismarck six times this year and I have only seen 5 birds. Last year, on my April trip I counted 57 dead and 30 live pheasants in the 100 miles. This year 4 dead birds at the same time of year. I have seen more pheasant wandering around in MT than ND this year.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

You are lucky as here in Massachusetts we are at the mercy of the state to stock the pheasants. There is almost no native population of pheasant or quail. We do have turkeys up the butt though. Just yesterday there were over 20 walking around in my backyard. They are so thick that people are running them over on the streets in highly populated areas.

You are lucky as here in Massachusetts we are at the mercy of the state to stock the pheasants. There is almost no native population of pheasant or quail. We do have turkeys up the butt though. Just yesterday there were over 20 walking around in my backyard. They are so thick that people are running them over on the streets in highly populated areas.

You can thank New York's Turkey Program for that. Good Turkey Hunting is what its all about..except when your talking about upland.:D

Guest McDaddy

Went out yesterday and ran my GSP's on a couple of sections here in the Panhandle. They actually pointed a couple of birds. I think TX will be as good as last year. For you Kansas guys; My three sons and I will be in Hanston KS in November. If you are close give me a shout.

Went out yesterday and ran my GSP's on a couple of sections here in the Panhandle. They actually pointed a couple of birds. I think TX will be as good as last year. For you Kansas guys; My three sons and I will be in Hanston KS in November. If you are close give me a shout.

I like the idea of networking for hunting. Wish there was more of it on Great Forums like this. I did invite one person on here to come up to hunt my family's land (605 acres) for any season that he wanted, but he was too busy with school. Oh well no skin off my back, hope that you meet up with some good ol' Benelli enthusiasts on here that can show you around there parts! Have fun and be safe! By the way are you going to let your sons use your Benellis? haha...that is a hard call IMO..depending on their age and respect for other peoples property. Give them the fever too early and Christmas might get a little too expensive! :)

Guest McDaddy

Ages 27, 25, 22 and they are great hunters and outdoorsmen. Two of them have a guide service and train GSP's in the Tyler Texas area. You can check them out at www.ggsportsman.com. They all sport guns as nice as mine but at times, they raid the safe. If that happens, I'll just bust out my old Ithaca/SKB 500 OU 20ga. It never misses...:D.

• 4 weeks later...

We just returned from N. Central SD. Lots of birds, lots of bean/corn still standing and lots and lots of water!

Tough going with warm weather, crops and water. But we hunted for days, limited out 4 guys all 4 days.

Besides my non-functioning M1, everything was great! Even my young dog ended up with like 8 water retrieves, are we pheasant or duck hunting?

Best of luck out there ArtL. Hope your M2 (if that is what you are going to be using) treats you well.

Happy Hunting! :D

I have been pretty lucky so far this year. With only a limited amount of time in the field and no dog I have gotten 3 pheasants so far..... 2 cocks and a hen. Looking forward to getting more. Did miss 2 birds though. One no hit and one no shoot. It got up behind me and was gone before I could get the gun up.

The M2 even though it is a tactical model works great. Did also call in a couple of coyotes but could not get a shot off at them. They were like ghosts..... Oh, using a 223 on the coyotes not the M2.

Edited by ArtL

I have been pretty lucky so far this year. With only a limited amount of time in the field and no dog I have gotten 3 pheasants so far..... 2 cocks and a hen. Looking forward to getting more. Did miss 2 birds though. One no hit and one no shoot. It got up behind me and was gone before I could get the gun up.

The M2 even though it is a tactical model works great. Did also call in a couple of coyotes but could not get a shot off at them. They were like ghosts..... Oh, using a 223 on the coyotes not the M2.

Great Job Art, if you want to use your shotgun on the yotes (I know you probably have got a ton and don't need the advice) you can get a pop up blind. I got one from Killzone and they will replace any and all parts for one year no questions asked for $8 shipping cost. It sets up in under a minute, two minutes if you put spikes in the ground for windy days. I can call coyotes into less than 15 yards (Closer if I wanted but I always kill before that :D) with a good blind, scent elimination, and a little bait.

Good Luck!

Great Job Art, if you want to use your shotgun on the yotes (I know you probably have got a ton and don't need the advice) you can get a pop up blind. I got one from Killzone and they will replace any and all parts for one year no questions asked for $8 shipping cost. It sets up in under a minute, two minutes if you put spikes in the ground for windy days. I can call coyotes into less than 15 yards (Closer if I wanted but I always kill before that :D) with a good blind, scent elimination, and a little bait.

Good Luck!

I'm really thinking about a blind as I have open ground by the cranberry bog, and about 150 yards or so where they pop in and then seem to disapear like a ghost. I have not been able to coax the yotes close. Anyway another good day for pheasant..... go one more to add to the total and may try tomorrow too.

I just love shooting the M2 at the birds. Just use cheap low brass #6's with IC and have good luck so far.

I'm really thinking about a blind as I have open ground by the cranberry bog, and about 150 yards or so where they pop in and then seem to disapear like a ghost. I have not been able to coax the yotes close. Anyway another good day for pheasant..... go one more to add to the total and may try tomorrow too.

I just love shooting the M2 at the birds. Just use cheap low brass #6's with IC and have good luck so far.

That sounds like a great combo you have for the pheasants, you must be having a Blast! That Blind and a Grey Ghost Super Screamer from Quaker Boy will get those "Ghosts" to come right in close! Good luck out there ART!

Happy Hunting! :D

Where are you that you can shoot hens?

The only place I can shoot hens is at the local gun club where we keep our German Short Haired Pointer from getting rusty...Good Question....by the way at $30 a Pheasant (At our local club) we always get the cocks but hens are an option and occasionally our dog points one that someone missed in the field, which we flush and shoot of course.

Where are you that you can shoot hens?

The district I hunt in MA allows hens or cocks. It shocked me too, but they allow it. The hens seem to be much easier to get as they tend to run in the brush and stay put until you or the dog are right on top of them.