Trijicon RMR

Hookster

Hey All,

I'm starting to think a lot more seriously about the Trijicon RMR for use on my Benelli (powered led version not the fiber optics/tritium version). I tracked down some at alot better price than the list price on the Trijicon site (about 175. less :))

RM01_45-web1.jpg

I'd like to hear any opinions on 4 moa dot (RM01) vs 8 moa dot (RM02) Some of my thoughts include:

8 moa

larger dot= possibly faster target aquisition at close ranges?

less precise (but we're talking shotgun here)

larger dot more prone to bloom?

4 moa

more precise

less prone to bloom?

My other thought is it may not matter too much either way. I have a Colt C-More reflex with a 6 moa dot and my EO tech is a 1 moa w/ the 65 moa doughnut of death around it.

I believe Aimpoint T1s are 4moa. Any T1 owners secretly yearning for a slightly bigger dot? Anyway, I'd love to hear some feedback on the sight or dot size.

Hookster

Here's the mount which looks like it would keep it nice and low.

RM33_45.jpg

I also found pictures in this thread on M4carbine.net of someone who put one in a Larue mount:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=34780

It looks like the Larue would make the sight sit higher though. I think I'd like to keep it as low profile as possible.

Hookster

I thought about the RMR but had a chance to put the Burris FFII (what works on the M4) and it's really sweet. I thought I'd move it when a mount for a pistol arrived. Now it's staying put on the shotgun. Love to hear thoughts on the RMR though, especially assessments of the proper dot size.

One thing that draws me more to the Trijicon vs Burris is that the frame surrounding the RMR lens looks a lot more substantial. The recoil resistance rating in the specs is also a little better (1100 G for the RMR vs 1000 G for the Burris)

The one thing I'm having some thoughts about is that there isn't and on/off it would be on all the time which I guess would be OK. Batteries last 2 years constant use or 4 in dark storage so changing out once a year would be fine

Hookster

My brother has the rmr 4 MOA dot and it works well. However I have the fastfire 2 and like it better plus it is much less expensive.

Thanks for the response Yeti. What do you like better about better about the Burris? Does it seem like it would be as durable as the Trijicon?

Hookster

The reason i said I thought the FF2 was better than the rmr was:

-I thought the rmr had more distortion when looking through it than the fastfire did.

-fastfire was cheaper

-picantiny protector mount protects it more

just my 2 cents

also my dad had the trijicon rx30 with the arms levers on his M4. Bright as alll get out but too high need a cheek peice added to the stock for it to work well. The red dots were much shorter

Sorry I missed the question. I can't tell the difference between a 2moa and a 4moa dot when looking at them.

I liked the T-1 so much that I just got my second one yesterday for my AR15 with the tall LaRue mount. I've got most of the bugs out of it so far.

Had a run in with a 'Yote. Put a tracer round on him at 100 yards at night aiming at his glowing eyes. I sparked his eyes with the X300 mounted at 12 o'clock. The Vortex is the best, not a bit of flash that I could observe.

Congrats on the night coyote hit. I just picked up a bunch of Lake City M885 green tip. Maybe I'll take another look at the Vortex after I have a chance to flash test the ammo at night.

The only thing slowing me down on the T1 at all is size/weight. I'm trying to see what options would be more low profile and lighter like the one I posted above from the Larue site. Part of my thinking with that is that if I end up using a Surefire M80 as a forend (for 922r) in addition to the Sidearmor I'll be adding some weight and I might want to save some more somewhere else. I haven't found a weight listed anywhere for the M80 though so I'm not sure how much more it weighs than the stock forend. I'll just have to wait till it arrives. Anyone have experience with Pride-Fowler stuff?

Hookster

Edited by Hookster

Here are the weights for the M80. I weighed them on my postal scale at work.

Benelli M4 Factory Handguards: 5.0 Ounces

Surefire M80 Rail System: 7.9 Ounces

Surefire Ladder Rail: 0.4 Ounces

Daniel Defense Picatinny Rail Sling Mount: 1.5 Ounces

Magpul XTM Panel (two pieces): 0.25 Ounces

Factory Top Rail with screws and washers: 1.59 Ounces

It appears that you're adding very little weight over the factory handguard. However, where the weight sneaks on is dependent on what type of rail covers you install. Figure you're doubling the weight of the factory handguards. I think the M80 fit 4 Magpul XTM's on each rail. So full coverage would be 12 sections. Or 3 Ounces total. Ladder rails will only add 1.5 ounces roughly.

Also, consider how much in parts you've removed also. The factory top rail is worth 1.59 Ounces. The Handguards are 5.0 Ounces. The front sling mount is worth around an ounce. Add a Titanium magazine tube and you'll drop 5 ounces there (you'll add the weight back with round capacity though).

I just tried to weigh my T-1 with the low mount, but it weighs too much for my reloading scale. It weighs a bit less than the tall mount version. I'd guess the low mount weighs 4.5 - 5.0 ounces.

I wonder how that iron dot would co-witness with the M4's iron sights? Or does it seat high enough where it's above the irons completely?

Thanks for all the specs!! weight on the M80 is not quite as bad as I thought it might be. But, like you said the rail covers choice will affect things. I have both magpul xtms and ladder rails standing by.

The Larue mount with the Pride-Fowler is the lowest profile of the iron dot styles that they offer but looking at the scale in the picture with the quarter, I think it's doubtful that it would co-witness. I'm also now looking at this Trijicon red dot that only weighs .5 oz and will take 5000G impact.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=577&back_row=1&categoryID=13

Here's the mount:

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=560&back_row=4&categoryID=13

and the wings:

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=693&back_row=4&categoryID=13

That's pretty light! How long of a runtime do you get? One benefit to having a larger glass in front of your face is to protect your face from birdshot blow back. Even with eye protection, a scope helps a lot.

You might get a 1/3 co-witness with that setup.

Here's my new T-1 in a crappy pic in the loading room. I hate artifial light.

3936716434_ee2aa1809c.jpg

The manual just lists runtime as 2-3 years under normal use. It doesn't have a switch so it's constantly on and comes with a cover to reduce drain on the battery when it's in bright light and not being used. The Trijicon site lists a 26 week lead time on the wings for the mount for some reason and I haven't found them in stock anywhere else so that's kinda irksome. Anyway, just looking at options still. It would be nice if I could find one low enough to co-witness. BTW your AR build is looking fine

Later,

Hookster