Nova Pump Problem?

Bulletbob670

Obviously there are a lot of gun guys on here so I thought I would throw out this question.....This is my brothers gun and it seems like he is always complaining about it not working properly so I took it to clean it up and take a look at it. The problem is once you load the magazine tube with 4 shells the "flap" that you have to push in to get the shells into the tube does not spring back down therefor not allowing the first shell to go into the chamber. You have to load the chamber then load the magazine and then push the slide lever lock and give it a "half pump" to get that "flap" to come back down so that shells do not eject onto the ground. This cannot be right...is it?

Sorry for lack of the proper terms but I hope you get what I mean. I know it is not a cleaning issue or it is gummed up because I just tore it down and completely cleaned and oiled it.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Obviously there are a lot of gun guys on here so I thought I would throw out this question.....This is my brothers gun and it seems like he is always complaining about it not working properly so I took it to clean it up and take a look at it. The problem is once you load the magazine tube with 4 shells the "flap" that you have to push in to get the shells into the tube does not spring back down therefor not allowing the first shell to go into the chamber. You have to load the chamber then load the magazine and then push the slide lever lock and give it a "half pump" to get that "flap" to come back down so that shells do not eject onto the ground. This cannot be right...is it?

Sorry for lack of the proper terms but I hope you get what I mean. I know it is not a cleaning issue or it is gummed up because I just tore it down and completely cleaned and oiled it.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Is the bolt (chamber) fully closed when you load the magazine or just "half cocked"?

It is normal to be able to load the chamber or the magazine first,whichever you prefur. But once you hit the bolt release and pull the trigger,(does the same thing) the "flappy thing":p comes up.

It is not dirt. If you take the trigger assembly out, you will see that where the "flap" or elevator is attatched, it is a very tight fit. On some of these guns, there is extra material there that doesn't allow the elevator to return down without closing the pump of the action without some extra force.

When you pump the action open, try closing it quickly and with authority, and see if the elevator does indeed go all the way down. Then try this again, but this time close it softly, like you would in the woods if you weren't trying to spook game. The elevator will almost indeed be stuck in the halfway position...

It is not dirt. If you take the trigger assembly out, you will see that where the "flap" or elevator is attatched, it is a very tight fit. On some of these guns, there is extra material there that doesn't allow the elevator to return down without closing the pump of the action without some extra force.

When you pump the action open, try closing it quickly and with authority, and see if the elevator does indeed go all the way down. Then try this again, but this time close it softly, like you would in the woods if you weren't trying to spook game. The elevator will almost indeed be stuck in the halfway position...

That is the only way to get the elevator back down...close it quickly and hard with a "half pump". If you do it softly it will stick up.

What is the fix?

Take the elevator off, and polish the living daylights out of it with a Dremel equipped with a rubber bit, or take a very small hand file and use it to smoothe out the points of contact inside the trigger housing that the elevator comes in contact with. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, I would advise taking it to a gunsmith, and for a nominal fee, they will have you back in action! Pardon the pun:)