Nova or stoeger 2000

Shotguns "R" us

Hey, im lookin into gettin a Benelli Nova 12ga. with atleast a 26" barrel.... id prefer it in camo but i wouldnt mind black..... im also lookin into a stoeger 2000 with the same criteria..... if anyone's got some useful info for me thatd be great, at my local dick's the nova in camo is $439 and the stoeger 2000 is $500 in camo, this is a little expensive for me but i may gotta settle for that if i cant find anythin cheaper, if anyone knows any other places to look thatd be awesome, also im curious about online stores like impactguns, ablesammo, gunsamerica, and gunbroker, any help would be appreciated. thanks

I have seen a couple of good Stoegers, but it seems to be a bit of a crapshoot when buying one.

The Nova is a nice gun, but I'm still a huge fan of the 870.

I shot one for a quarter of a century and never had a problem with it.

I agree with Tucker. The 870 is the most durable gun out their IMO, I sold my super nova, and kept the 870 because I got a bigger offer for the super nova. The nova has no significant advantage over an 870, the only real advantage was the shim kit, bigger trigger guard, and the threads on the chokes are at the very end of the barrel allowing easier cleaning. The 870 feels better to if you like a slim grip and a slightly shorter stock. The 870 is also cheaper and easier to find parts for. The 870 has a great trigger, the trigger smooth and fairly light for a shotgun. If I had to get a new pump, I would pick the 870 because it fits me better and is cheaper. The nova would be my second choice.

Alright, thanks guys, im kinda finding it funny though that no one likes the stoeger at all, my uncle's the M2000 got one and he loves it, never had an issue with it, i personally like it, low recoild, good feel, but maybe he just got lucky with it, ive also heard bad things about the new 870, i heard they rust real easily but once again, i could be wrong, ill probably end up goin with the nova, i love the feel and the slide, thanks again

Alright, thanks guys, im kinda finding it funny though that no one likes the stoeger at all, my uncle's the M2000 got one and he loves it, never had an issue with it, i personally like it, low recoild, good feel, but maybe he just got lucky with it, ive also heard bad things about the new 870, i heard they rust real easily but once again, i could be wrong, ill probably end up goin with the nova, i love the feel and the slide, thanks again

People that don't take care of their 870s have rust problems. Of course in the price range the 870 is considered a beater, and has the durability for it. Re oil it if it gets wet, clean it every 1000 rounds you will be good. I don't have any rust problem with my 870 in camo, but if it was blued I might.

People that don't take care of their 870s have rust problems. Of course in the price range the 870 is considered a beater, and has the durability for it. Re oil it if it gets wet, clean it every 1000 rounds you will be good. I don't have any rust problem with my 870 in camo, but if it was blued I might.

The "new" 870 express is a rust bucket. Thats what he is most likely talking about.

I've got three pump guns. A mossbreg 500 20ga. winchester speed pump black shadow and 870 super mag in real tree ap.all are reliable guns. How every the ejector in 870 came loose an spoiled hunt a goose hunt the last Sat of the season.Had to sit there an watch as my son had the best hunt of our season last year. Remington send me a shipping label,I had the gun back it all took less than a week. My Stoeger 2000 was back at stoeger for the third time. I think it working like it should now,but if you get one of them you may need a backup gun. And they don't always fix the problem the first or second time you send it and they keep it a long time. I now have a browning maxus and love it ! I did tried a nova & super nova liked it but it didn't fit me well. All these guns need care some more than others it doesn't take much time to spray down a gun and wipe it off with an oilly rag. All these guns can fail I think i'll start caring a back up in the truck.By the way winchester has started making the speed pump again, back bored invector plus chokes. they call it the SXP nice little gun. of the pumps I have the Win. Fits me best but doesn't come in 3 1/2.

• 1 year later...

I have both these guns my 2000 is newer and some problems there was a slight break in period for the nova but never any real problems

i say the pump is more dependable! i too was thinking of the 870 as we do use it in our military and its a cheap dependable gun!

Edited by Mrleaf