How To Fill The Groove and Float the Fourth

tucker301

A buddy wanted his Benelli altered so that it would float a round on the carrier.

I took the opportunity to take some pictures of the procedure and I put together this how to guide.

Some use JB Weld. In fact, he had used JB Weld, but it didn't hold and he asked me to do it over for him.

I've done several this way and there have been no problems.

Mine is actually filled by a tig welder, but not all of us have access to such a thing.

benelli-floatjob.jpg

crum, I have heard of that method, but I have not seen it done.

Id the 45 cut in the same direction as the other one or in the opposite direction?

bnburns05,

The older Benellis will float the fourth without this modification. This will make the newer ones like the SBEII be able to do it as well.

The modification allows you to load one more round in the gun, above its normal capacity.

Many states have no capacity restrictions on shotguns outside of waterfowl hunting. Some allow unplugged guns for Snow Geese in the Spring as well.

NC early goose season requires no plug.

With this modification and technique, you can get one more round in there.

The modification allows you to load one more round in the gun, above its normal capacity.

Many states have no capacity restrictions on shotguns outside of waterfowl hunting. Some allow unplugged guns for Snow Geese in the Spring as well.

NC early goose season requires no plug.

With this modification and technique, you can get one more round in there.

I understand the concept, but I have a hard time picturing how to load the fourth round. Do you open the bolt, put the shell down in the bottom of the chamber and then insert a shell in the chamber and shut it?

I understand the concept, but I have a hard time picturing how to load the fourth round. Do you open the bolt, put the shell down in the bottom of the chamber and then insert a shell in the chamber and shut it?

You actually have a perfect understanding of how it works.

It's tricky with 3.5" shells, because you have to open the bolt enough, but not all the way. :cool:

Edited by tucker301

You actually have a perfect understanding of how it works.

It's tricky with 3.5" shells, because you have to open the bolt enough, but not all the way. :cool:

I would think that the carrier coming up and pushing the shell against it would stop it even with this done, but it obviously works, someone sent me a PM with a video demonstrating how it is loaded with a shell floated, thanks to all for the information!

I wouldn't mess with the JB deal for many reasons:

The plugged gun issue is federal in nature. You think your state F&G is tuff? Wait until you have to travel to the nearest federal court to make an appearance. I see Mr. Tanjeans almost as much as I see Mr. Greenjeans.

That little blob of glue could end up costing a shooter his gun + some hefty fines. I sometimes hold two shells in my left hand and can rattle off five shots pretty quickly. I have incorrectly been accused of floating and/or pulling the plug. Can you imagine me telling the fish cops that I only float during spring snow season? Can you imagine a judge buying that after seeing the glue? I don't float and I wouldn't believe myself :eek:

The whole SBE floating thing was a big issue in my area a few years back. I've talked to wardens about it. They know about it. They read these websites. I know several wardens in my area that read the Refuge Forums on an hourly basis during the season. I've been called 'mudhen' by wardens at 5 a.m. in the pitch black.

Nope, no desire to pick at this scab. The bolt was modified by Benelli for legal reasons, and I'm fine with their logic.

If you want to float, buy a gun that floats unmodified :)

But that's just my take.....

Just thought I'd add that I don't care if someone floats. That's your call :)

It just seems safer to float with an unmodified gun or only use the modified gun legally.

Might be a good reason to keep an eye out for older SBE's - they are starting to show up cheap, although in pretty poor condition. But if the gun is not totally shot, a few parts from Brownells could keep that old SBE running for a looooong time :D

Can you imagine me telling the fish cops that I only float during spring snow season? Can you imagine a judge buying that after seeing the glue? I don't float and I wouldn't believe myself :eek:

Nope, no desire to pick at this scab. The bolt was modified by Benelli for legal reasons, and I'm fine with their logic.

I would imagine (not having talked to wardens about this issue) that if you plugged your magazine for 1 less you would be alright. Meaning if I made a plug that would limit the magazine to 1 round and I floated that would bring the total capacity of my gun to 3 just like it should be.

I don't see what this mod buys you really, when I wanted more rounds I just slapped a mag tube extension on :p

I would imagine (not having talked to wardens about this issue) that if you plugged your magazine for 1 less you would be alright. Meaning if I made a plug that would limit the magazine to 1 round and I floated that would bring the total capacity of my gun to 3 just like it should be.

You be pretty sharp! That was the discussion I heard when the issue first came up - that all SBE's would have to be plugged to hold only one shell :(

But, from what two federal fish cops told me, Benelli agreed to add the groove, and the fish cops agreed to not push the issue on the existing guns.

Don't know for sure if this version of the story is accurate, but it sounds logical...

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Sorry if I missed the point here, but my M4(made in '09) is able to float one on carrier, and I have NOT modified it for the purpose of floating. What I do is load up 7 in the tube(thanks Kip!) pull back charging handle about 80% of way back, slip one in chamber, then insert the "floater" primer end first onto the carrier, push on front of shell to level it and allow bolt to close on chamber. **DO THIS WITH THE SAFETY ON!!!!!*** presto, I have a floated round and 9 shells of 12ga fun ready to go!

I have *NOT* tried this with my Supersport though. I'll try that tonight. I usually only load up two at most for skeet shooting!

Sorry if i missed the point. Just trying to help out with those that want to float.

2-wheel.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...