What is the best? SBE II or Vinci?

jonesbb630

I currently own a SBE II and happy with it. My friend wants to buy a new Benelli, but is confused on which one is the best between the SBE II or VINCI. We haven't had a chance to try the VINCI as we live in Canada and won't be available to us until Dec. 2009.

SBE II = 2.75", 3", and 3.5"

VINCI = 2.75", 3", lighter and less recoil.

Does anyone have both or has anyone been able to test both and what is your preference?

SBE II or VINCI?

Should he wait for the VINCI or buy the SBE II now?

This would be mainly for Waterfowlling.

Opinions please would be grateful.

Thanks

Edited by jonesbb630

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both, and really have no problem with either of them. If I was to buy a gun mainly for waterfowl, I would have to go with the SBE ll, because of the 3.5'' factor. Recoil is something to consider on the Vinci, but the Comfort Tech on the SBE ll helps as well. It would be SBE ll all the way for me.

Buy both :)

While I will almost certainly add a Vinci to the crowded safe this year, I will never be without a few SBE/SBE II's in the safe.

Read up here a bit and you will find much info about both guns.

I don't need the Vinci, I want the Vinci.....

Amen to that!! It is just one of those guns that you can't live without..

On a more serious note, by adding the want to hunt Canada Geese, Pheasant and Wild Turkey. Wouldn't the SBE II be able to do it all and moreso than the Vinci?

The SBE is my go to turkey gun. I doubt that you would need the 3.5'' for pheasant, but for geese and turkey the extra pellet count works for me. It would work well for pheasant as well, with whatever load you choose. The SBE line of guns will not let you down. Like Mudhen said. Buy the SBE and get the Vinci next. All bases covered. Well, most of them...

I'm torn between the SBE II and the Vinci also...

I have no idea why Benelli would release the Vinci only in a 3"... they clearly wanna make some extra cash...

here are my questions though:

1) where is the vinci/sbe2 made?

2) if the vinci came in the 3.5", which would you prefer to have then? the 3.5" vinci or the sbe2 3.5"?

thanks!

Jack

On a more serious note, by adding the want to hunt Canada Geese, Pheasant and Wild Turkey. Wouldn't the SBE II be able to do it all and moreso than the Vinci?

Defiantly the SBE2, for me I have to have my 3.5"s for turkeys. I have an M2 which is a 3" chamber, but I have an 870 with appropriate camo and a 3.5" chamber for turkeys. The vinci's new action has a slight advantage over the SBE. I will call the vinci's action the IL for "in line" and the SBE's action ID for "inertia driven". The typical ID action uses the inertia provided by the recoil to operate the action. This type of action, is more reliable between cleanings, considerably lighter, and much simpler than the more common gas system. The inertia provided by recoil throws the bolt back, and a spring in the but stock (the part with the comfortech) returns the bolt. All the same goes for the IL action, except that the spring is located right behind the bolt. This makes for a slightly lighter, and with less weight to slow it down, slightly faster cycling. The IL action also allows for easier cleaning, because on the ID action, you need to take apart the recoil tube in the butt stock containing the spring, at the most once a year for reliable cycling. The Vinci has a slight weight advantage, but only slight. The Vinci's 3 piece design is no advantage as far as I am concerned. I used to carry my supernova around in a full length hard case, which made it tricky to take to shoots with 3 people in a sedan. The SBE2 comes with a 2 piece case, where you have to unscrew the for end cap, and pull the barrel off, and lay it in the case, very easy. The 2 piece case included with the SBE2, is as small as you would need it, I can't imagine why you would need it smaller. The Vinci is a surprisingly light kicker for such a light gun. Not a big difference in recoil compared to a SBE2. You may tell yourself you don't need 3.5"s, but eventually you will wish you could try them, assuming you are an active hunter. The Vinci is markedly new and hard to find parts and accessories for. If eventually it became popular, had time to prove its self, was available in 3.5", as cheap as the SBE2, and I was looking for a 3.5" shotgun in that price range, I would go for the Vinci. For now, my advice to you is get the SBE2, and you can always sell it for a Vinci if it were to gain popularity, and come out with a 3.5" chamber. I doubt you will be disappointing whichever gun you get.

Defiantly the SBE2, for me I have to have my 3.5"s for turkeys. I have an M2 which is a 3" chamber, but I have an 870 with appropriate camo and a 3.5" chamber for turkeys. The vinci's new action has a slight advantage over the SBE. I will call the vinci's action the IL for "in line" and the SBE's action ID for "inertia driven". The typical ID action uses the inertia provided by the recoil to operate the action. This type of action, is more reliable between cleanings, considerably lighter, and much simpler than the more common gas system. The inertia provided by recoil throws the bolt back, and a spring in the but stock (the part with the comfortech) returns the bolt. All the same goes for the IL action, except that the spring is located right behind the bolt. This makes for a slightly lighter, and with less weight to slow it down, slightly faster cycling. The IL action also allows for easier cleaning, because on the ID action, you need to take apart the recoil tube in the butt stock containing the spring, at the most once a year for reliable cycling. The Vinci has a slight weight advantage, but only slight. The Vinci's 3 piece design is no advantage as far as I am concerned. I used to carry my supernova around in a full length hard case, which made it tricky to take to shoots with 3 people in a sedan. The SBE2 comes with a 2 piece case, where you have to unscrew the for end cap, and pull the barrel off, and lay it in the case, very easy. The 2 piece case included with the SBE2, is as small as you would need it, I can't imagine why you would need it smaller. The Vinci is a surprisingly light kicker for such a light gun. Not a big difference in recoil compared to a SBE2. You may tell yourself you don't need 3.5"s, but eventually you will wish you could try them, assuming you are an active hunter. The Vinci is markedly new and hard to find parts and accessories for. If eventually it became popular, had time to prove its self, was available in 3.5", as cheap as the SBE2, and I was looking for a 3.5" shotgun in that price range, I would go for the Vinci. For now, my advice to you is get the SBE2, and you can always sell it for a Vinci if it were to gain popularity, and come out with a 3.5" chamber. I doubt you will be disappointing whichever gun you get.

what if the vinci was out now with a 3.5" ... which would you pick?

what if the vinci was out now with a 3.5" ... which would you pick?

That would be a hard decision, but right now the Vinci is to new, the SBE's recoil could be just as light with a limbsaver recoil pad, The Vinci isn't proven. I would pick the SBE, because it is a proven durable design, and many aftermarket parts and accessories are available for it, and none are available for the Vinci. The Vinci isn't available in 3.5" and may never be, so.....

I'm new to duck hunting and such...

so forgive the really noobish question...

I think I really like the walnut satin finish better than the camo or black composite...

wood is still fine for duck hunting right? are there any cons to wood (other than it scratches?)...

benelli's SBE2 is made in Italy right?

thanks!

Jack

I think I really like the walnut satin finish better than the camo or black composite...

wood is still fine for duck hunting right? are there any cons to wood (other than it scratches?)...

thanks!

Jack

Yes the SBE2 as well as the Vinci is made in Italy, Wood is fine, but the blue finish of the barrel is more rust prone than camo. I don't have a whole lot of experience with wood stocks, but as long as they aren't abused they should last longer than you. I have seen a couple low grade wood stocks broke, but they were abused badly. Wood stocks can also crack much easier than synthetic.

but Benelli to be sure uses good quality wood?

it seems like there isn't a big difference between the Vinci and SBE II, except for the 3.5" thing...

So I gotta hold both of them and see which one feels more natural... I think, from what I've read so far that the SBE II would be the better buy because it's been around longer and is tried and trusted...

how would the SBE II compare to the browning maxus?

thanks for all your help btw!

I just love the look of wood, and it's cheaper too!

what's the price of a SBE II walnut in a hunting store?

but Benelli to be sure uses good quality wood?

it seems like there isn't a big difference between the Vinci and SBE II, except for the 3.5" thing...

So I gotta hold both of them and see which one feels more natural... I think, from what I've read so far that the SBE II would be the better buy because it's been around longer and is tried and trusted...

how would the SBE II compare to the browning maxus?

thanks for all your help btw!

I just love the look of wood, and it's cheaper too!

what's the price of a SBE II walnut in a hunting store?

Benelli for sure uses quality wood. I haven't been looking at SBE2s with a wood stock, but you can look up the SBE with a wood stock on gunbroker.com and you will get a good idea what a fair price is. I hear lots of good things about the Maxus, but unfortunately, I have no experience with that gun.

thanks for the website,

i just noticed the wood sbe2 doesn't have the little rubber recoil stopper things on the stock... you think the wood would kick harder ?

thanks

I noticed no difference between my M2 with comfortech, and an M2 American which doesn't have the comfort tech. There is probably a slight difference, but not easily noticeable. I do think it makes a difference with heavier loads but I don't know for sure because I didn't shoot heavy loads through the american, but the heavy loads kick lighter than I think they should.

I think the wood maybe kick a little less due to the weight.I have shot wood guns for a long time and have had know issues if they get wet take apart ,let them dry and oil before putting them up simple.I went with the Black 28" SBEII looks super sexy when oiled you won't be sorry with either purchuse wood or black.As for the Vinci it's new 3" not alot of time in the field no add on's. The m2 is a great little gun and is the same as the Vinci and has the wood option and is proven.

If I were buying today I'd pick the SBE's or M2's if I didn't need the 3.5 shells. The Vinci doesn't have a track record with it's new operating system. It doesn't matter to me to have a gun that comes apart in 3 pieces.

Ask me again in 3 years and the answer might change.

thanks!

Jack

Yes, wood and bluing are fine. But IMHO the comfortech stuff is a help, at least when shooting heavy loads at ducks and geese. Depends a bit on how much duck/goose hunting you intend to do.

I currently own a SBE II and happy with it. My friend wants to buy a new Benelli, but is confused on which one is the best between the SBE II or VINCI. We haven't had a chance to try the VINCI as we live in Canada and won't be available to us until Dec. 2009.

SBE II = 2.75", 3", and 3.5"

VINCI = 2.75", 3", lighter and less recoil.

Does anyone have both or has anyone been able to test both and what is your preference?

SBE II or VINCI?

Should he wait for the VINCI or buy the SBE II now?

This would be mainly for Waterfowlling.

Opinions please would be grateful.

Thanks

heres my opinion, if he has longer arms the vinci would probabley fit better sounds stupid but my friend has a sbe2 and we went sporting clay shooting a couple weeks ago and we shoot trap reguarly so I took a few shots with his and it comes up too short for me but the vinci slides into place perfect even with all my waterfowl gear on if hes got shorter arms ide go with a sbe2, now were I hunt we decoy our ducks so 3.5 isnt neccasary. yet my friend just likes the bragging rights of being twig shaped and shooting 3.5 and he hunts same conditions as me. and the vinci has actually been field tested and proven to preform better than the sbe not in ducks yet but pheasent and dove. and they shoot about the same honestly his jams alot more mine has never jamed and i shoot about 250 shells a week outa it. dont get me wrong I love both guns it just depends your condidtion, and actually speeking of canada hunting my sisters husband goes hunting in random places out in canada for geese and all the guides that are out there shoot 2 and three quarter, witch is real interesting for those geese and sopposabley they reccomend using 2 and three quarter some dont even allow 3.5 depends were your going in my opinion you can take down waterfowl like a sportsman with 2 and three quarter Im shooting three inch this year just couse I wanna try it but ill probably still buy some 2 and three quarter shells

Edited by VINCIshooter