Surefire M80 Forend Review

Hookster

Hey All,

Well, I finally got my Surefire M80 picatinny rail forend today (many thanks to MeanGreen for the lead). Anyway, I thought I'd share some thoughts on it as well as some pictures. As most of you probably know I'm looking at using it simply as a forend grip that would be a U.S. made 922r compliant part that would also allow me to keep my Sidearmor rail system. I don't intend at this time to mount any accessories to it although from looking at it, if I were to mount my Streamlight TLR-1 to the right side it doesn't look like I'd have the problems StrangerDanger had with his hand hitting the backplate/wire plug area of his Surefire light (I believe it was a X300) due to the Streamlight having a 90 degree plug and smaller backplate projection

So, as far as being a forend that I can use in conjunction with my Sidearmor rail, I'm very happy with it. I had been concerned about weight before but it only adds 2.9oz after removing the weight of the stock grips. Additional weight on top of that would depend on your choice of rail covers.

The other issue that has been raised is hand comfort/grip feel. I've tried a few combinations of rail coverings already and they're included in the pictures. I believe the combination that StrangerDanger recommended was Magpul XTMs at the 6 oclock and ladder rails at 3 and 9 (3 ladder rails are included with the forearm). I found this fine too and probably the closest to the circumference of the stock grips. I also tried and like the XTMs on all three sides. I bought enough to completely cover all three sides but three panels per side seems more than enough to grip. Any extra would just be adding weight. This will probably be the combination I'll be using for now. It does make for a fairly fat grip but I have large hands and thought it had a good feel.

Overall I find it more comfortable than the KZ which I reviewed here:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19590&highlight=KZ

But depending what your after in a U.S. made forend the KZ may be a better choice for mounting options etc.

So in closing, If the Mesa "Urbino" U.S. made stock that MeanGreen posted comes out and is of good quality I would probably go back to my stock Benelli grips instead of Surefire or KZ but until then I think I'll be fine with the Surefire.

Now all I need is my FL tube. (Hi Kip!!!)

And now some pictures.....

DSC00435.jpg

Edited by Hookster

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hookster,

it looks pretty cool actually. Have you shot it to see if the binding issue plagues yours?

Have you tried mounting the pressure switch to the surefire rail instead? You're right about the x300 poking too far to the rear due to the xt07 tail cap design. Yours is much more low profile.

On the other hand, holy expensive batman!

No, I just got the M80 this afternoon so I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I've looked around but didn't see any posts about binding problems. Do you have links to accounts of problems? It looks like the gas pistons/rods have enough play room. I haven't tried changing the switch position but I'm pretty happy with where it's at. Even with the enlarged grip size, the switch position still feels very natural to use.

Hookster :)

Hookster,

Great review. Man, you gun looks awesome with that Sidearmor rail. Now I know why you went with the Surefire instead of the KZ. I am also thinking the same thing, if and when Mesa comes out with their Urbino and I going back to the stock forend. I'll also probably then have to pick up the Sidearmor rail after that. :)

Hey Axhoaxho,

I just got an email from Optics Planet (who I was on backorder with) that they finally have them back in stock. But I had just aquired mine from National Police Supply where MeanGreen had refered me to. Sean DePriest, the owner there is a great guy to deal with. He didn't have it in stock but said he'd try to get me one. He called me about a day and a half later that it was on the way. So I had it in hand 4 days after talking to him. Very refreshing after all the time I spent on backorder.:)

Later,

Hookster

Hey BigHat,

I got the Magpul XTMs from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26423/Product/AR_15_M16_XTM_trade__RAIL_PANELS

The ProMag ones I picked up at a gun show and you should have gotten some Surefire ladder rail covers with your M80.

Take Care,

Hookster

Great !! I didn't realize it came with covers. Thanks for the info. The tracking data from Optics Planet indicates it will be here Tuesday.

Hi Sukhoi,

Let's call it more like a slightly undersized Pringles can :rolleyes:

Actully I like the feel of the Magpul XTMs on three sides, but like I said, I have fairly large hands. I also found the XTMs on the bottom and ladder style covers on the sides comfortable, and like I said, probably fairly close to the circumference of the stock grips. If you wanted to go smaller still you could run ladder style covers on all three sides. I tried this and found it ok. That combination was probably the closest in feel to the KZ handguard to me.

Take Care,

Hookster

The reports I read about jamming were quite old. I can't search for them very well on my ******. I recall some were mentioned on ar15.com. I didn't have any issues with mine with the 11707 barrel assembly.

There is some weight saving potential on yours beyond kips tube. You could run one or two of those short rails from Sidearmor. You'd save a few ounces. Then another ounce or so by removing the factory front sling loop.

I'm tempted to buy one again honestly.

I've done some more searching and haven't found any reports of any cycling issues due to the M80. Like I said, it seems like there's plenty of play room in there for the rods.

Yeah, I just got the long siderail back on the right side when I was playing around. I was planning on putting the short rail back on the right side but I need the long one on the left because I have the switch and sling swivel on that side. I'll probably pull the factory front sling loop when I install my FL tube.

So... thinking about buying another M80 eh... Sidearmor/Surefire/KZ should probably be paying me for the advertising :p But hey, If you can be 922r compliant and look cool while doing it. Why not?

Later,

Hookster

Edited by Hookster

Hey BigHat,

Did it come? if so, watcha think?

Hookster

It here's but I got in after 11 (was in Dallas) and it's locked-up at my front desk. I'll check in tomorrow night and let you know. Thanks for asking.

Edit: Got it on. I like it. Think the std rail guards will do well enough to protect the hands without adding too much bulk. Easy install once I realized I needed to attach it to the barrel and then slide both onto the mag. tube unlike the approach to the std hand guards. Popped in my follower too. 5 min journey to 922r compliance. A good thing.

Can I assume the included LokTite was just a gift for use when mounting their light or something else? I see no reason to need the stuff to install the guard. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you very much,

Matt

Edited by BigHat

Edit: Got it on. I like it. Think the std rail guards will do well enough to protect the hands without adding too much bulk. Easy install once I realized I needed to attach it to the barrel and then slide both onto the mag. tube unlike the approach to the std hand guards. Popped in my follower too. 5 min journey to 922r compliance. A good thing.

Can I assume the included LokTite was just a gift for use when mounting their light or something else? I see no reason to need the stuff to install the guard. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you very much,

Matt

Hey Matt,

I'm glad your happy with it. I too found the LocTite that's included a bit of a mystery since there are no screws/bolts in the M80. I assume the same thing, that it's there to help secure whatever you might mount to the rail. Are you going to be using it as a mounting location for anything or just a 922r part?

Hookster