Surefire M80 Forend Review

Hookster

Are you going to be using it as a mounting location for anything or just a 922r part?

Hookster

Hookster,

Probably just for 922r purposes. I'm sort of a minimalist when it comes to shotguns. I went with an optic, but found the Burris FF the one I like best after trying a T-1 and EoTech prior. Not a big light or laser fan but to each his own.

By the way, I have a SOCOM 16 mounted in a SAGE EBR stock. Pretty nice, but heavy. I'm almost positive you'll not get a co-witness on a M-1A. In fact, you need a cheek pad to get a comfortable cheek-wield and alignment with any optic. On my EBR stock, the cheek piece is fairly high. Just the way they're designed.

Matt

Edited by BigHat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Hookster,

Well, I am returning my Surefire forend and going with the KZ forend instead after trying out the two. I don't know if it was having to pay $230 for it as opposed to $190 for the KZ forend or just the weird rubber upper on the forend. I truly like the fact that the KZ is all metal where the Surefire is metal and rubber. The Surefire forend seemed like it would wear out a lot quicker. I already noticed some wear on the rubber just from taking it on and off twice, so I am sure that would get worse with time. Anyways just my two cents if anyone gives a rat's ass.

I'm sure the KZ will work fine for you. Hopefully Mesa won't be too long getting the Urbino out (it sounded like they were motivated to get things moving) then we can go back to the stock grips. I'm keeping my KZ as well in case I run into any problems.

Later,

Hookster

For myself, I find the M80 slightly more comfortable. I believe because the side rails on the M80 ride lower down on the side so my hand is more in contact with whatever rail covering is used. The KZ side rails are higher so only my fingertips and thumb come in contact with an ergonomic covering. Really though, that's just me and the difference is only a few steps above negligible. I could easily deal with either one but the stock grips still rate #1. I gather from your post you have/had some involvement with Mesa R&D?

Tell us more!

Hookster

Back in 2005 or 2006 I worked with Mitch over at Mesa Tactical. I pitched the idea and he liked it. So we collaborated on the design.

I had some of the early prototype stuff to test the mounting system. Unfortunately, Benelli changed some things around the barrel between model productions and our original model was off. They mainly added that shelf to the base of the barrel that seats against the receiver.

The original FCAM attached like the SideArmor does via the five top rail holes. Then a handguard portion slid into the top cover and engaged where the factory handguards seat (into the metal bracket retained by the magazine tube).

The front of the handguard seated indexed with the forward handguard mount as the barrel was seated. The lock up was very solid and provided a tool-less disassembly.

Overall concerns were always about weight, strength, ergonomics and providing an option that couldn't be achieved by other means at the time.

I would advise that a more valuable product would be to simply produce a similar replacement handguard that is made in the USA that has a low profile pocket for tape switches. This would sell big because it would be a compliance part and have some added functionality over the factory handguards as well. Big full length top rails really aren't needed. They're simply extra weight. The only value on the Sidearmor is it acts as a bridge over to the side rails.

Here is a thread about the FCAM over at Mesa's website with some really early prototype photos.

http://www.mesatactical.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=41

Seems they're renewing interest in the project with some injection molding rather than aluminum extrusions.

Hi Steve,

If you're asking about the price of the Surefire M80 forend they run about $230. The part of my M4 that you see the light attached to in the pictures is a Sidearmor rail. which run $329. The Streamlight TLR-1 that I use is low profile.

If you use the site search for "Sidearmor" you'll find multiple previous threads with lots of info and pictures. Here's a few:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19550&highlight=sidearmor

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19212&highlight=sidearmor

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19419&highlight=sidearmor

Take Care,

Hookster

Edited by Hookster

Hi Steve,

If you're asking about the price of the Surefire M80 forend they run about $230. The part of my M4 that you see the light attached to in the pictures is a Sidearmor rail. which run $329. The Streamlight TLR-1 that I use is low profile.

If you use the site search for "Sidearmor" you'll find multiple previous threads with lots of info and pictures. Here's a few:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19550&highlight=sidearmor

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19212&highlight=sidearmor

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19419&highlight=sidearmor

Take Care,

Hookster

So what I'm seeing is the Surefire part, the Side armor part, and the seperate lite.

Anything else? lol

Got it in the mail today, rapid turnaround. (I'd had one on order from OpticsPlanet for about a month.)

Looks good on the gun...the lines against the barrel aren't as clean as the factory ones are.

The metal mounting nubs are a nice touch, and the grip feels very solid on the gun.

It also looks like the pistons have free range of motion. We'll see what a little heat and gas does for them.

I'll let you know how it works on the range this weekend, and I'll post some photos as soon as I get through my probationary period.

I also installed an aftermarket magazine follower from Brownell's. (Red Aluminium) I acutally think the quality is better than Benelli's.

On another note...I got an unexpected notification from UPS that I have a package inbound...not sure, but I think the Benelli Bunny may have my Ti magazine tube from the Kipster...

I am so pumped that I may just wet myself.

*Update*

Just returned from the range...shot about 30 slugs through the gun with perfect function. (The gun, not me...)

There was no apparant gas leakage from around the handguard, and the pistons seemed to function fine. I was using a grip-pod system for stability, and it was rock solid.

On another note, I did notice that shooting the cheap remington "Slugger" rifled slugs did not fair well past 25 meters. 2" groups at that range, but the round entered the paper sideways at 50.

Edited by jon.benton

• 4 weeks later...
Did you decide not to use the Mesa Mount? I ended up using the same five bolts and washers. No clearance issues with the removal or installation of the barrel.

Right now I have the EOTech EOLAD on my M4 which will not allow enough clearance (in my opinion) for the shells to be pushed up far enough to be secure.

Another reason I didn't use it was an earlier thread that mentioned that heavier optics might be prone to causing the threads to strip out of the receiver...figure I'm pushing my luck with the sight, don't want to add the extra stress of the Mesa side saddle.

Cool, and thanks for kicking in. Do you have a perfered seller for this Forarm? Have not seen any @ feebay.

1st I'd call Sean at National Police Supply

http://www.nationalpolicesupply.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78_109&products_id=2745

Optics Planet would probably be choice #2

HDO Sports would be #3

Later,

Hookster :)