Need some help with my Nova Pump!!

wnbf2be

Hey guys,

I have a Nova Pump (best pump shotgun ever by the way). Its got a 28" barrel and its my trusted duck/goose gun.

That said, I have recently taken up deer hunting and have been trying to figure out if I need to buy a dedicated slug barrel for it?

From what I have read around here, it seems like I can shoot slugs through this thing as long as I use the IC choke or better yet, get a rifled choke. Is this correct? If so, thats completely new to me...I thought shooting slugs through a non-rifled barrel was a big no-no????

Pardon my ignorance here. I am a rookie at this particular side of hunting...historically I just shoot at things that fly off the water. ;)

You can certainly use it in its current configuration with slugs.

My old 870 used to shoot 3-4" groups out to 125 yards with a 24" cylinder bore barrel.

The trick is to try different slug loads and find what your Nova likes best.

You will want to shoot slugs designed for a smoothbore through the IC choke. These will be labeled as "rifled slugs".

The projectile itself is rifled but not to make it spin as it flies through the air.

Remington SLugger

slugger_big.jpg

Federal Truball

fedpictruballslugs.jpg

Here is a good article concerning slugs

Edited by tucker301

Thanks for the assistance here, guys. I appreciate it.

If I were to buy a rifled choke tube for the gun, are there any particlar manufactures that make those? Does Benelli? I have not yet searched for one...but it seems like that might be a good investment.

Thanks for posting the pics of the ammo by the way...thats very helpful.

As for the effective ranges...I dont think I will need anything over about 75 yards to be honest. The places we hunt, the deer are up close and personal. Was out last weekend with my bow and had a nice one at less than 20 yars but never got a shot at it. With a slug gun, I would be eating venison right now. ;)

The Nova uses the Benelli standard choke tube (not crio).

Carlson's makes a rifled tube for it.

http://www.choketube.com/mobilchoke.html

RifledChoke.jpg

If you use that tube, you'll want to shoot saboted slugs.

Here's another good article for you.

I didn't read this one either ;)

http://www.whitetailfanatic.com/html/rc_go_slug.shtml

Edited by tucker301

Actually it says that sabot slugs do not spin in a smooth bores, and rifled slugs do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Huck

Sir correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the article you but up contradicts what you write about spin out of smooth bore with a rifled slug.

Actually it says that sabot slugs do not spin in a smooth bores, and rifled slugs do.

I think you need to reread that Sir.

So if you're shooting a smoothbore, stick to rifled slugs such as those made by Remington, Winchester and Federal; or full-bore slugs such as the various Brenneke, PMC, Fiocchi, Rottweil or Wolf designs.

Despite the fact that virtually all rifled slugs have grooves or flutes on them, they do not spin in flight. The grooves are actually raised areas that give the projectiles a buffer against becoming deformed when squeezed through a tight choke. Stop-action photos of rifled slugs in flight show that the rifling is actually rubbed off the slug by the time it exits the barrel.

Quote:

Sir correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the article you but up contradicts what you write about spin out of smooth bore with a rifled slug.

So if you're shooting a smoothbore, stick to rifled slugs such as those made by Remington, Winchester and Federal; or full-bore slugs such as the various Brenneke, PMC, Fiocchi, Rottweil or Wolf designs.

Despite the fact that virtually all rifled slugs have grooves or flutes on them, they do not spin in flight. The grooves are actually raised areas that give the projectiles a buffer against becoming deformed when squeezed through a tight choke. Stop-action photos of rifled slugs in flight show that the rifling is actually rubbed off the slug by the time it exits the barrel.

I also like Carlson choke tubes.

Quote:

Good catch, I would like to see a slug in slow mo to see if thats true.

I believe this to be true to a point. If shot through a tight choke, i could see how the rifling would be rubbed off, but I shoot rifled slugs through a rifled choke but which isnt tight at all. I was worried about shooting rifled slugs through a rifled choke but I contacted carlson's and they said it was perfectly fine and even effective. THeir choke tubes are short but they are made of a high grade material that allows you to shoiot all kinda junk out of it. No steel of course. BUt im glad to hear about someone trying to use their smoothbore as a deer slayer. Im doing the exact same thing man.

I bout some of the cheep rifled winchester super X's and decided to test out the old carlsons. I didnt have a scope or anything so I decided to set up a crayon box at about 40 yards. WIth a standard bead sight, I hit the crayon box 3/4 times. haha at 40 yards, i couldnt even see the crayon box because the bead overlapd it. But i havent tried the truball slugs, but i have heard they are amazing! Im going to try brenneke's black magics as well because they are one of the biggest accurate slugs out there. I wanna make sure if I hit something its going down!

hey all!

just wanted to introduce myself. the name is john and i'm from milwaukee, WI. brand new benelli supernova owner, got the 26" in the realtree APG camo. haven't even shot this thing yet. this would also be my first year out hunting. really excited about this week since its the season opener for duck.

forgive me since i too am a noob to this world. i just wanted to clarify that the smoothbore barrel is the one that came with the gun? and if fitted with a rifled slug choke you are able to shoot certain slug shells?

although i won't be big game hunting anytime soon, i just wanted to know for future references.

thanks!

you will have to find some that your gun likes. no one really knows what slug your gun will like. I havent got to try mine either. but everyone says good things about federal's truball slugs, brenneke slugs, and some of Remmingtons slugs. Youll just have to try it out. IF you buy a carlsons rifled choke tube, you will be able to shoot rifled,fosters,or sabots out of it wihtout damaging the tube. Results may vary though.

I have used a benelli nova for 4 years now for deer hunting, and all I have used was the IC choke and Remington sluggers. I shot many different slugs through it and the sluggers seemed to shoot the best and I have killed many deer with it and some at around 70 yards :) Nova's= Best all around gun.

An IC is fine for all of your Foster slugs but you may want to pick up a rifled choke (or slug barrel if you want the real deal) for the use of Sabot slugs. There are only a few companies out there that make Sabot slugs that are designed specifically for use in rifled barrels only.

I think you will find Brenneke to be a great company out of your SuperNova, that is what I have been using a lot of recently, but each gun handles ammo differently even if they are the same model. Try a few of the popular brands mentioned throughout this forum that cover this topic to get an idea for what is working for other Benelli shotgun hunters, and see which performs best out of your gun.

Best of luck and Happy Hunting! :D