Be honest...

ishootkittens

is 3.4 inches of eye relief enough when shooting heavy loads like 2 oz.. or 1 3/8 oz? I am wanting a scope for my supernova, but the eye relief is 3.4 inches.. i could really use some help guys.

I think that's enough eye relief. What are you worried about? Getting the scope between the eyes on recoil. That's what I am assuming. Keep it tight on your shoulder and shouldn't be a problem. What are you hunting? For deer and other big game a scope with crosshairs is nice, hence the eye relief. A red dot scope is an option if you are turkey hunting. With the red dot, eye relief is unlimited, eliminating the problem. The red dot can be used for slugs also, but it is harder to sight in because of the size of the dot at longer yardage.

If you're worried about recoil, then get a red dot or a holographic like Eotech or Fastfire.

I have a 2 MOA Vortex Strikefire on my AR.

The dot covers most of the target at 100 yards, but I still manage some pretty good groups with it, despite that.

th_223_7-8-09jpg.jpg

Edited by tucker301

Nice group! The 2 MOA is key at the longer ranges. The red dot/holographic scopes have come a long way with the battery consumption problem and they are fun to use. I have an Aimpoint on my dedicated turkey SBE and love it to death. Battery life is like 5 years, on low. Never had to change it, but I carry an extra, just in case.

If you shoot with a rest where that is not the recoil absorbing type most tend to hold the gun loosely and lean forward more and that is where I have seen most of the experienced shooters get there bell rung by a scope. If you wear safety glasses while shooting from a rest I doubt it would even hurt but I have never seen it happen with glasses. If you are shooting of a fence or something make sure the gun isn't to low because you will tilt your head down and you will loose eye relief.

For hunting I use 1-4 power scopes. 95% of the time there on 1 power. The eye relief is better for fast shots and at 1 power I can shoot with both eyes open. The only expection is my yote gun which has a 4-12. Once again, 95% of the time is on 4-6 power.

The best scopes I've looked through are fixed power scopes. For what your using it for, a 4 power scope would be great. Fixed power scopes are more clear due to they don't have as many lenses to look through.

Just my favor.

Novaking

well its not that im afraid of the setup, and flinching isnt the problem. If im zeroing it in and i get wacked everytime i shoot the damn thing them of course my aim is going to be off from the mild concussion i have just obained. But if it wont wack me while sighting it in, then i dont care at all if it hits me while im hunting, you dont feel it, if you drop an animal. But i ant to make sure the scope is on and my aimm is on, but i dont want to worry about my eye getting blacked! The mueller scope im lookin at has a circle-plex with a red dot in the middle, its good for all kinda stuff and is very versitle, the only thing that makes this scope perfect for me is the 3.4 eye relief.. actually i think its more like 3.3.. but i think after i aquire my target, i will move back from the scope just a smidge until i can see just a hint of black to give myself the maximum eye protection!