SBE II Observations

Lee Woiteshek

Bought one today, and just finished putting it together. Have the 24 inch synthetic. Bluing is mighty thin for almost 1400 bucks. I scratched it putting it together. Just about had an stroke trying to get the bolt handle out, (had to use pliers) and I found out that the forearm does Not snap into place as the manual says. Worst of all the gun rattles. Seems the silver thing behind the bolt moves back and forth when closed. Tell me this isn't normal. I apologize in advance for a semi depressing first post. This is my first "spring gun"as I sold my gas Mag 10, and this is the replacement.

sold an Ithaca mag 10 ?? .. you feelin alright? tongue.gif

was it the cost to shoot or was it the weight .. cause either way its' perty hefty :D

how did ya scratch it putting it together ? .. nevermind.. it adds character SBE's look better with war wounds anyways.

you have to shake the gun perty hard to get noise out of it.. like nothing you'll be doing when you need to be quiet..

Geez, I'm having a bad day. Hit the wrong button on the above post. Sorry. Had a Mag 10 that I'd chopped to 23 inches, and Robared with NP3 and Polymax with Briley chokes. Still swung like a 2X4 and with the arrival of Hevi Shot, I didn't need extra payload or recoil anymore. Finding shells could be an adventure too.

Lee,

Welcome to the Benelli family.

You'll soon learn to separate the helpful Benelli owners from the hopeless wannabes here.

As birddog said, don't sweat the finish. This dog is made to hunt! Besides, it's not bluing, technically, but we know what you mean.

I have seen several posts regarding the bolt handle. Mine is nearly impossible to remove when following the manual's procedures. I always remove the barrell, and slide the bolt out intact. Once out of the receiver, the handle comes out easily.

As for rattle, recheck for proper assembly. Mine rattles not a bit.

PS: Suffolk, huh?

I'm just a bit more inland.

Sorry for the delay in replying, shut the machine down last night and watched TV. The bolt closes just fine, and when I dry fire it, I can hear the firing pin, so I'm assuming its assembled ok. Now you have me worried. I wasn't going to shoot it unless I saw a turkey next month. Guess I'm gonna have to give it a test drive before then.

I would STRONGLY recommend not only test firing, but also patterning the shotgun with several different load/choke combinations.

Can you describe the rattle in a bit more detail?

Do you mean the silver thing to be the bolt head?

How are you shaking the gun?

I can rapidly move mine up and down and the bolt will rattle. This is because it is an inertia system. This would not be a typical movement encountered in a hunting situation.

Look at your manuals. Which part is loose?

It doesn't take a rapid up and down movement once the trigger is pulled on the closed bolt, just tilting the gun up and down will do it. The part making the noise looks like the cartridge drop lever, its to the rear of the bolt. When the weapon is in this condition the cartridge drop lever is inside the reciever and not showing through the bottom. If the bolt is closed and the trigger is not pulled, and you shake the weapon up and down you can hear a tinkle like sound I guess that's the inertia system. Thank you for your help. Lee

Originally posted by Lee Woiteshek:

It doesn't take a rapid up and down movement once the trigger is pulled on the closed bolt, just tilting the gun up and down will do it.

Mine does the same. Nothing to worry about.

Once th trigger is pulled, noise is no longer an issue :D

Good luck this season!

Wrap a shoelace around the base of the bolt handle and use it to yank it out with one hand while grasping the bolt body with the other.

I agree on the finish. My SBE has the worst finish out of the box of any weapon I have ever bought. Even a H&R Topper or a 10/22 has better bluing than a SBE.

Matte finish Benellis like BreakFree CLP - it keeps mine nice and dark - reapply every so often.

The rattle is indeed the spring behind the locking head. It's jsut how the gun works. I've gone 15 years without noticing it - maybe after 30 years it will bother me?

Bolt handle is always a biatch when new. I sometimes buy an oversize bolt handle. It gets better with time.

Yeah, that forearm thing is kinda funky, not like the older Benellis that were easier to snap into place.

mudhen - CA