Considering a Nova

Reggio

Hi folks,

So I've narrowed down my search to three guns. I am new to hunting and just got my license. I am in Ontario, Canada.

Well, I've heard much about lots of guns especially the 870 Rems and the Mossbergs (500 series). I an looking for a pump action to target multi species. I am not sure what I will end up targeting most so I want a very versatile and adaptable firearm.

I know the 535 Moss is very versatile. The combo can be adapted for many uses be it turkey, waterfowl, upland game or deer. And, it's very well priced. The 870 is also good, apparently, but maybe a bit more expensive that the 535.

I'd like to target all of the above; deer, turkey, grouse, rabbit, duck and geese. Is the Benelli Nova a good "all-around" gun? Can it be used under many different conditions targeting all of these species? I'd like an honest, objective opinion. I am willing to spend more for the Benelli because I've heard these guns are very good and sturdy. Perhaps I will not need to upgrade... whereas with the Mossbergs I am not so sure.

How is this gun for turkey and deer and upland game? I know it's good for waterfowl...

If I do buy it, will it come with the chokes that will let me target these species or will I need to spend some $$ to buy a rifled barrel for deer slugs?

what about recoil and weight? It seems like a fairly heavy gun..

I appreciate any input! Thanks in advance!

Reggio

Edited by Reggio

We have the 870 at work and they are a great cheap reliable way to start, but need to be well lubricated to avoid rust. The 870 has a lot of aftermarket parts to choose from for customizing and easy to find spare parts. I would personally not even consider the Mossberg. Remember one thing, if it cost less $$$, there's a reason. Do you know if you will even like hunting yet? If you have determined this as a yes, and you want to avoid upgrading later, the Benelli Nova Pump will satisfy your hunters pride. You will have to buy an extra slug barrell if you want to do it all i.e. Deer and small game. It come with 3 chokes which is sufficient to start off with and the ones supplied are the most important ones. You can always buy exras later if you feel the need. I have the Super Black Eagle II which gives me 5 different chokes, but only use 3. Having said that, and if a Benelli is the gun you want (I would), I would go with the SuperNova. This will give you the option of using 3.5" Shot for you Geese and Turkey(not legal in Canada yet unless you live in Ontario or hunt a private reserve) hunting and the Comforteck Stock for your recoil. The weight is pretty much all the same if you compare the same lenght of barrells. A little more $$$ but, this would in my opinion be the cats ass of pumps on todays market. If you buy a Benelli Pump, there's a good chance you may regret not getting the SuperNova. I don't think you will be looking to upgrade later unless you decide to go with an auto loading Benelli.

My top 4 Pump Action picks are:

1- Benelli SuperNova Pump

2- Benelli Pump

3- Remington 870

4- Mossberg 500 series

Good luck with your purchase.

Edited by jonesbb630

I do live in Ontario. The Nova is a 3.5" - same as the Supernova

So the three chokes provided won't take all the above mentioned game? I thought the IC and the Med will do for deer and upland and the full will cover turkey. I must say that it's a bit confusing with all the different applications... Will the extra barrel be more of a luxury down the road? I'd rather have quality over after market accessories. I like to keep things simple and other than a scope, I don't know what else I'd buy right now... maybe an extra choke or two down the road (X full?)

As for the need for recoil cushioning, that applies to the 3.5 correct? If I use 3" recoil won't be as much of an issue?

Thanks for the reply...

You Ontarians are lucky with your Turkey hunts as the rest of Canadian hunters envy you. Can you shoot Turkey with lead shot? I don't know the rules in Canada about that.

You are correct about the 3.5" availability in the Nova. I believe when they first came out, they only held 3" but Benelli upgraded them to take the 3.5" but don't quote me on that. One thing that the SuperNova has over the Nova Pump is not only a better stock but it comes with a shim kit letting adjust your drop and cast. If you plan to hunt Deer with a slug barrell, you won't have to worry about chokes. I was under th impression that was your plan. I personally would only hunt Deer with a slug barrell myself unless you want to try "OO" Buck Shot with your mod choke shot barrell. I personally have not experienced or tried this and perhaps someone else on this forum could help you clear that ???

Nontheless, no matter what Benelli you buy, you can't go wrong. The SuperNova is an upgrade from the Nova Pump but both are top performers.

Edited by jonesbb630

You Ontarians are lucky with your Turkey hunts as the rest of Canadian hunters envy you. Can you shoot Turkey with lead shot? I don't know the rules in Canada about that.

You are correct about the 3.5" availability in the Nova. I believe when they first came out, they only held 3" but Benelli upgraded them to take the 3.5" but don't quote me on that. One thing that the SuperNova has over the Nova Pump is not only a better stock but it comes with a shim kit letting adjust your drop and cast. If you plan to hunt Deer with a slug barrell, you won't have to worry about chokes. I was under th impression that was your plan. I personally would only hunt Deer with a slug barrell myself unless you want to try "OO" Buck Shot with your mod choke shot barrell. I personally have not experienced or tried this and perhaps someone else on this forum could help you clear that ???

Nontheless, no matter what Benelli you buy, you can't go wrong. The SuperNova is an upgrade from the Nova Pump but both are top performers.

I thought you could shoot slug with IC choke? I am not really interested in buying a barrel that might cost me the equivalent of the gun in price... If I can't take a variety of game with the current set up (either nova or supernova) then I might just go for the Mossy... i don't mind spending a couple hundred more but as long as that means I don't have to start fiddling around with more barrels...

Thanks guys!

And as far as Ontario gobblers go, yes, you can get em with lead , if I'm not mistaken... its the migratory waterfowl that must be taken with steel.

cheers

I'm not saying you can't shoot slugs out of a shot barrell. I simply stated that I would prefer shooting Deer with a riffled slug barrell. If you can shoot lead shot, you can only use Full and Improved Mod. As for shooting slugs out of a shot barrell, I do not have the experience to form an opinion on that question as stated in previous post.

However, I did give you an honest non bias opinion which is the main topic. You have to keep in mind that a lot of us here started with a single shot Cooey and having a Pump was seen as luxury. We upgraded to an 870 and were happy for years. But when Benelli tried to make a name for themseleves back in Italy, they produced what is believed by most today as making simply the best shotguns on todays market. We eventually saved our $$$ and upgraded to Benellis. I have never met any 870 owner who regreted upgrading to a Benelli. I'm not saying this because I own one, but from experience.

Edited by jonesbb630

I have 2 novas (one 12 one 20 gauge). I also have a Supernova. Love all three. It really is a ''do all gun''. The only reason I have three because I wanted a 20 for doves and my Supernova is set up for turkeys and yotes. Can I do everything with 1. Yes.

Good luck with your choice. I would buy the Nova or supernova over the 870 or 535.

I just bought a Nova last week and had it out on the weekend for grouse. I have to tell you that I am already a huge fan. I planned on comparing an 870 to a Mossberg 500 (eerily familiar - must be us canucks thinking alike). The fella at the shop recommended that I avoid the Mossberg and compare the 870 to the Nova. I've hunted before with an 870 Wingmaster that my cousin owns and it's a great gun but I really liked the feel, fit and finish of the Nova. The Nova cost a bit more but it really wasn't a tough decision. After shooting it on the weekend, I am thrilled with my choice. That said, I think it's a 'feel' thing. Maybe if you handle both you might find you lean one way or the other.

I guess that sounds pretty biased but I love the gun. I really don't think you can go wrong... outside of the whole Ontario thing;-)

I have 2 novas (one 12 one 20 gauge). I also have a Supernova. Love all three. It really is a ''do all gun''. The only reason I have three because I wanted a 20 for doves and my Supernova is set up for turkeys and yotes. Can I do everything with 1. Yes.

Good luck with your choice. I would buy the Nova or supernova over the 870 or 535.

Is there really much difference between the Nova and the Supernova? I suppose the recoil is a bit nasty with 3.5" on the Nova.. is it much better withe the super since it claims to mitigate the kick back?

Thanks guys!

Believe me, if you shoot 3.5", you will need all the help you can get with the recoil. I have the Comfortech stock on my SBEII and I tell ya, when I shoot 3.5" # 2 Steel for Geese, I would not want to be without this stock. Some say, the difference is not that great with recoil, but I wouldn't know.

Get the SuperNova, or at least the Nova. You will be happy, and hellll your leaning towards a Benelli anyways, you did join the forum for advice from Benelli owners. You are basically begging to be talked into getting the gun you really want! So cut the crap and get yourself the real deal. Go with the Nova, and if you like that pay a little more and get the SuperNova....You will not regret it and for a little piece of mind, I take all species with my SuperNova that I have the opportunity at. It has not failed to take Turkeys, Partridge/Woodcock/Pheasant, Coyote, Porcupine, Squirrels (Red and Gray), Canada Geese, Ducks...you get the point and that has just been since May 2009.

Happy Hunting and be Safe! :)

Is there really much difference between the Nova and the Supernova? I suppose the recoil is a bit nasty with 3.5" on the Nova.. is it much better withe the super since it claims to mitigate the kick back?

Thanks guys!

There is differences between the two.

The Supernova:

1. adjustable shimsfor pitch and cast

2. comforttect stock

3. bigger trigger guard

4. two piece receiver

The nova doesn't have these things. The comfortect system doesn't make a difference for me and the bigger trigger guard doesn't ether.

Get the SuperNova, or at least the Nova. You will be happy, and hellll your leaning towards a Benelli anyways, you did join the forum for advice from Benelli owners. You are basically begging to be talked into getting the gun you really want! So cut the crap and get yourself the real deal. Go with the Nova, and if you like that pay a little more and get the SuperNova....You will not regret it and for a little piece of mind, I take all species with my SuperNova that I have the opportunity at. It has not failed to take Turkeys, Partridge/Woodcock/Pheasant, Coyote, Porcupine, Squirrels (Red and Gray), Canada Geese, Ducks...you get the point and that has just been since May 2009.

Happy Hunting and be Safe! :)

I'll tell you what' holding me back from the Benelli and making me lean toward a Moss or Rem combo - NO RIFFLED BARREL - and the more I read the more I realize that to properly take down a deer you need a rifled barrel with sabot slugs... I don't want to spend $400 additional dollars on top of the 550 for the Nova.. so I am probably not going to go with it... the accuracy is lacking otherwise... and I will target deer.

I'd someone can give me a really good reason to change my mind, feel free...

I'll tell you what' holding me back from the Benelli and making me lean toward a Moss or Rem combo - NO RIFFLED BARREL - and the more I read the more I realize that to properly take down a deer you need a rifled barrel with sabot slugs... I don't want to spend $400 additional dollars on top of the 550 for the Nova.. so I am probably not going to go with it... the accuracy is lacking otherwise... and I will target deer.

I am an avid deer hunter and you don't need Sabot slugs to accurately take down a deer. I have dropped many deer with buckshot. Please don't take offense to this but you sound new to deer hunting, unless you live in a state that only permits the hunting of deer with a shotgun or you are hunting areas that you would need to make 150 to 200 yard shots than yeah you would want to get a Slug Gun and your biggest worry next will be the multiple hundred dollar scope that you are going to attach to your shotgun to even make those shots possible. But you listed off a bunch of game which made me believe that you wanted versatility. I will be using my SuperNova for all of my stands that are setup for 100 yard or less shots and my rifle for hunting open territory. What range do you picture yourself shooting deer at?

Furthermore to "properly take down" a deer you need to place a shot in the vitals, spine, or break their front shoulders which would also most likely hit the vitals- in other words make a clean shot. You can use many different loads other than slugs on deer such as Buckshot. You get into the thick woods with some 3.5" 00 or 000 buckshot and you are going to drop a deer with a well placed shot. You are going to def need to get out there and pattern your gun for each ammo you decide to use for each of the game you have specified that you will be going after this fall before going out into the field.

Best of luck and I hope you make a good choice...and don't forget about rifled chokes like the one I use on my SuperNova from Carlon's Chokes that gives me 1/2" groups at over 50 yards with Brenneke Black Magic 3" 600 gr slugs which were made for smooth bore or rifled barrels (That's right 1/2" groups at over 50 yards through a smooth bore barrel with a rifled choke- so there is a reason to get the smooth bore Nova or you could just buy the Nova with a rifled barrel). I use Black Magics for Hunting Bear, and I trust my life with them. Maybe down the road you will be ready for a Benelli, but you came to a place that has people that live for Benelli and have it running through their veins, so what shotgun company did you expect for recommendations from here?

Happy Hunting and Be Safe! :)

Here in Illinois shotgun (and bow) deer hunting is the most common way to take deer. Out of thoughs shotgun hunters I bet less than 10% use a rifled barrel.

Do you even have a 150 yard shot? Most hunters around here average 50-80 yards. A good slug/choke combo is the cheapest and for short ranges the best.

I am an avid deer hunter and you don't need Sabot slugs to accurately take down a deer. I have dropped many deer with buckshot. Please don't take offense to this but you sound new to deer hunting, unless you live in a state that only permits the hunting of deer with a shotgun or you are hunting areas that you would need to make 150 to 200 yard shots than yeah you would want to get a Slug Gun and your biggest worry next will be the multiple hundred dollar scope that you are going to attach to your shotgun to even make those shots possible. But you listed off a bunch of game which made me believe that you wanted versatility. I will be using my SuperNova for all of my stands that are setup for 100 yard or less shots and my rifle for hunting open territory. What range do you picture yourself shooting deer at?

Furthermore to "properly take down" a deer you need to place a shot in the vitals, spine, or break their front shoulders which would also most likely hit the vitals- in other words make a clean shot. You can use many different loads other than slugs on deer such as Buckshot. You get into the thick woods with some 3.5" 00 or 000 buckshot and you are going to drop a deer with a well placed shot. You are going to def need to get out there and pattern your gun for each ammo you decide to use for each of the game you have specified that you will be going after this fall before going out into the field.

Best of luck and I hope you make a good choice...and don't forget about rifled chokes like the one I use on my SuperNova from Carlon's Chokes that gives me 1/2" groups at over 50 yards with Brenneke Black Magic 3" 600 gr slugs which were made for smooth bore or rifled barrels (That's right 1/2" groups at over 50 yards through a smooth bore barrel with a rifled choke- so there is a reason to get the smooth bore Nova or you could just buy the Nova with a rifled barrel). I use Black Magics for Hunting Bear, and I trust my life with them. Maybe down the road you will be ready for a Benelli, but you came to a place that has people that live for Benelli and have it running through their veins, so what shotgun company did you expect for recommendations from here?

Happy Hunting and Be Safe! :)

Yup VERY NEW - as in a rookie. I am in Canada and I have yet to go on my first hunt. You seem to have a wealth of knowledge... most people are swaying me to go with a riffled barrel but I'm interested in what you have to say. I need to learn more about smooth bore vs riffled and buckshot vs slugs... I've even read a few articles from Field and Stream and the like and they discourage buckshot

I will take my time... and continue to research. I don't want to buy another gun so I want to be happy!

btw, are you using the 3.5 shells with buckshot or 3?

Hi folks,

So I've narrowed down my search to three guns. I am new to hunting and just got my license. I am in Ontario, Canada.

Well, I've heard much about lots of guns especially the 870 Rems and the Mossbergs (500 series). I an looking for a pump action to target multi species. I am not sure what I will end up targeting most so I want a very versatile and adaptable firearm.

I know the 535 Moss is very versatile. The combo can be adapted for many uses be it turkey, waterfowl, upland game or deer. And, it's very well priced. The 870 is also good, apparently, but maybe a bit more expensive that the 535.

I'd like to target all of the above; deer, turkey, grouse, rabbit, duck and geese. Is the Benelli Nova a good "all-around" gun? Can it be used under many different conditions targeting all of these species? I'd like an honest, objective opinion. I am willing to spend more for the Benelli because I've heard these guns are very good and sturdy. Perhaps I will not need to upgrade... whereas with the Mossbergs I am not so sure.

How is this gun for turkey and deer and upland game? I know it's good for waterfowl...

If I do buy it, will it come with the chokes that will let me target these species or will I need to spend some $$ to buy a rifled barrel for deer slugs?

what about recoil and weight? It seems like a fairly heavy gun..

I appreciate any input! Thanks in advance!

Reggio

I recently purchased a 12Ga SuperNova smoothbore, with APG camo. Plan on hunting deer with slugs and maybe move to a Badger rifled barrel and scope (much) later.

Very pleased so far. The weight is the same as an 870 and the recoil seems less with the comfortec stock, but then I'm comparing to MY gun now. I have not fired any mags or supermags yet. Our deer season has not started yet.

A great gun. Not the cheapest, nor the most expensive gun ever made., but they are good lookers and should definetly get the job done.

Happy hunter here.

Go for it.

I recently purchased a 12Ga SuperNova smoothbore, with APG camo. Plan on hunting deer with slugs and maybe move to a Badger rifled barrel and scope (much) later.

Very pleased so far. The weight is the same as an 870 and the recoil seems less with the comfortec stock, but then I'm comparing to MY gun now. I have not fired any mags or supermags yet. Our deer season has not started yet.

A great gun. Not the cheapest, nor the most expensive gun ever made., but they are good lookers and should definetly get the job done.

Happy hunter here.

Go for it.

The smooth bore is what both the Nova and SN come with, correct? What type of slug would you fire out of it? What about buckshot?

Yup VERY NEW - as in a rookie. I am in Canada and I have yet to go on my first hunt. You seem to have a wealth of knowledge... most people are swaying me to go with a riffled barrel but I'm interested in what you have to say. I need to learn more about smooth bore vs riffled and buckshot vs slugs... I've even read a few articles from Field and Stream and the like and they discourage buckshot

I will take my time... and continue to research. I don't want to buy another gun so I want to be happy!

btw, are you using the 3.5 shells with buckshot or 3?

Canada ay, what part? If your on the East Coast that would make us almost neighbors, I live in Maine. Def take your time picking out your shotgun.....although deer season is coming up real soon and your going to have to get out there, get use to your gun and start pattern testing.

I am using 3.5" 00 and/or 000 Buckshot but I stagger my rounds. If I am in one of my tree stands I will have a Slug followed by Buckshot followed by a Slug and the last one will be Buckshot.

Shotguns come with two different types of barrels, smoothbore and rifled. So unless you choose the rifled barrel model you are going to get a smoothbore as this is the most common type of shotgun barrel.

PM me if you have any questions. Always Glad to see a new Hunter!

Good Luck and Happy Hunting! :)

The smooth bore is what both the Nova and SN come with, correct? What type of slug would you fire out of it? What about buckshot?

Yes, mine came with the 26" barrel. The chokes that came with it are the F, M and IC. I am shooting Federal Premium truballs, originally using the M choke. Benelli suggests using the cylinder choke with slugs, but since i don't have one, I'll use the IC, which is the closest to the "C".

Buckshot is not legal to hunt deer in Indiana.

I do live in Ontario. The Nova is a 3.5" - same as the Supernova

So the three chokes provided won't take all the above mentioned game? I thought the IC and the Med will do for deer and upland and the full will cover turkey. I must say that it's a bit confusing with all the different applications... Will the extra barrel be more of a luxury down the road? I'd rather have quality over after market accessories. I like to keep things simple and other than a scope, I don't know what else I'd buy right now... maybe an extra choke or two down the road (X full?)

As for the need for recoil cushioning, that applies to the 3.5 correct? If I use 3" recoil won't be as much of an issue?

Thanks for the reply...

Here is my take on purchasing a Supernova and a slug barrel (from Benelli or eslewhere).

The 870 has been around forever and is certainly proven. They are everywhere. You can buy an Express 2 3/4" with 2 barrrels and a cheap scope for under $500. A similar setup from Mossburg will run $250. Unless one is supershooter, either will get the job done just fine and probably last a lifetime.

A Supernova can be had for around $500. Add the rifled barrel and your looking at about a grand. Is the Supernova twice as good as an 870? of course not.

But,

For many people, whatever shotgun they buy, may be the only one they will own their entire lives. Since we are talking a difference of $500, not $5000, for something you could possibly use for 20-30 years, is it really worth angsting over what really amounts to a few bucks?

I could not afford both righ now, so I purchased the Supernova only. I'll try to hit something with it now and upgrade to a rifled barrel later - or maybe not.

Get the gun you'd like to be shooting 20 years from now, if possible.

Get the gun you'd like to be shooting 20 years from now, if possible.

I like your perspective on this :). But at the same time, 20 years from now I would like to be shooting that eras weapons, and in 20 years my collection will be much more extensive :D. For now he should just get the Nova or SuperNova and not feel the burn of regret.

Buckshot is not legal to hunt deer in Indiana.

I can't believe Buckshot is not legal for hunting deer in Indiana!! You guys must have fired Buckshot before and seen the range and patterns it has at the different yardages..right? Its a super tight pattern and has a great range! Funny that you can't use any kind of rifle unless they use a handgun cartridge there either! Your state is limited to hunting with bows, slug guns, handguns with the legal calibers, and rifles that shoot handgun cartridges with the legal handgun calibers.

Great deer, Odd rules.

No buckshot in Wisconsin either. At least not for whitetails. It can be used for varmints though. Part of the lower portion of Wi. was shotgun/pistol/muzzle loader, forever. They changed that last year to allow center fire rifles throughout. That worked out well. No one was killed by a bullet from 17 miles away, as was the worry from a lot of the small town politicians. Much ado about nothing...