Shells coming apart?!

South FLA

Anyone every have their brass detach from the plastic hull when cycling?

I have been shooting Rio Field Loads through my Benelli M2 20 gauge and have had 3-4 episodes where the actual brass detaches from the hull. Upon ejection the brass gets caught jamming my gun as it cycles or last weekend on the dove field the brass was ejected but the plastic hull was left in the chamber as birds flew over mocking me:), thank God the hull in the chamber prevented the next round from loading.

I am wondering if my extractor is being a bit rough on the shells tearing the brass from the hull or if I have a bad batch of Rio Shells. I haven't experienced it with Federal, Remingtons, or Estate Cartridges, but I mostly shoot Rio ammo since I bought a bunch of flats 3 years ago.

By the way its a very clean detachment the hull looks perfect and the brass is not dented or crushed, except if caught in the action upon cycling.

Any ideas or input appreciated.

Anyone every have their brass detach from the plastic hull when cycling?

I have been shooting Rio Field Loads through my Benelli M2 20 gauge and have had 3-4 episodes where the actual brass detaches from the hull. Upon ejection the brass gets caught jamming my gun as it cycles or last weekend on the dove field the brass was ejected but the plastic hull was left in the chamber as birds flew over mocking me:), thank God the hull in the chamber prevented the next round from loading.

I am wondering if my extractor is being a bit rough on the shells tearing the brass from the hull or if I have a bad batch of Rio Shells. I haven't experienced it with Federal, Remingtons, or Estate Cartridges, but I mostly shoot Rio ammo since I bought a bunch of flats 3 years ago.

By the way its a very clean detachment the hull looks perfect and the brass is not dented or crushed, except if caught in the action upon cycling.

Any ideas or input appreciated.

Beats me. I shoot Rio's high brass, 20 gauge, and have never had a single problem.

I'll echo the "bad shells" sentiment going around.

But one thing you could try is take your barrel off and see if you can slide a round easily into the chamber with your hand and see how easily it comes out. If it is really difficult the shells might be grabbing after being shot hence ripping the brass off. Its a long shot, if your chamber was that tight I would think chambering would be an issue as well, but you could give it a try.

If the shell chambers tight has to to be the shell, it may not have been sized properly at the factory. As for the brass popping off, you got to be kidding me......I would never shoot that crap again.

I reload Win AA, Rem STS, Rem Gun Clubs, and a dozen times or more per case and never saw the brass seperate from the plastic.

Your Rio's I assume are factory new......I would be causious of the at brand especially if you see a lot bad shells.

If the shell chambers tight has to to be the shell, it may not have been sized properly at the factory. As for the brass popping off, you got to be kidding me......I would never shoot that crap again.

I reload Win AA, Rem STS, Rem Gun Clubs, and a dozen times or more per case and never saw the brass seperate from the plastic.

Your Rio's I assume are factory new......I would be causious of the at brand especially if you see a lot bad shells.

I as well believe you have a shell problem if your shells fit properly into the barrel. I also reload many different type shells ( not Rio's ) and have never had this problem. This problem also sounds very dangerous. If it is indeed the shells I would destroy them or definately get rid of them.

• 2 weeks later...