Extended Choke

leftie

ok so if the length of the barrel dosent really have anything to do with carrying the pellets any further or keeping your pattern any tighter fore longer it just helps your aim point ,or seight plane , what exactly does an Extended choke do compared to a flush choke ,are there any advantiges :rolleyes:

Won't help your sight plane at all unless you stick a bead on the extended part... think about it. The ported ones offer some advantages... maybe. And, for sure... they really look cool! (No I'm not a teenager but my wife says I act like one sometimes.)

With chokes, I think you just gotta' try 'em and see what they do for you. A patterning board is a must. I have settled on a Briley Light Modified Extended (and ported) for dove AND quail... tight enough to make the long shots, but broad enough not to tear up the birds in close. I patterned it and it out-shot all the others I tried. I had big holes in the pattern with larger openings and I don't shoot that good anymore to handle the accuracy needed for the tighter ones (at my age, I AM subject to "senior moments.")

ok so if the length of the barrel dosent really have anything to do with carrying the pellets any further or keeping your pattern any tighter fore longer it just helps your aim point ,or seight plane , what exactly does an Extended choke do compared to a flush choke ,are there any advantiges :rolleyes:

As you know a choke starts out almost the same diameter as the barrel where the shot enters it. As the shot travels down the choke the choke gets tighter like a funnel. This taper compresses the shot and makes it spread less over distance. A longer choke that extends out the barrel will make the taper longer and spread it out in theory giving more even patterns. They do to an extent but almost always you would hit what you are aiming at with the factory choke if you hit it with an aftermarket extended choke with the same restriction. Benelli crio chokes that are flush with the barrel are just as long as most other extended chokes like remington chokes. One major advantage is ease of changing chokes. It is tricky to remove a flush choke but easy with extended chokes. If you shoot trap where you might have to tighten your choke a lot or change chokes they make it a lot easier.l

The ONLY thing extended choke tubes do any better or differently than flush choke tubes is to allow them to be more easily removed and installed.

That's it.

Nothing else.

Plus they look cooler.

Nothing else....are you sure about that. Seems like an extended choke was designed for more than ease and aesthetic purposes, but hey I'm not the engineer behind there designs. Seems like there may be more to it than you think. Email Carlson's chokes (Or your favorite company) and ask them...I am sure they have more reasons for you.

I like Carlson's tubes. I have a bunch of them. I had them put tubes in one of my guns that previously had fixed chokes. But if you call them and ask them, what they'll say is sales BS (because they get more money for their extended tubes.) They'll say something like "the longer parallel section gives you better patterns." But its just that. BS. People who have objectively tested choke tubes by actually testing pattern characteristics (there's a program called Shotgun Insight that actually counts pellet strikes from photos of patterns, and analyzes patterns) have determined what most people know intuitively.

1. You need to pattern the choke tube to see if its worth a darn (works with your combination of barrel and shotgun shells.)

2. Extended tubes do not necessarily throw better patterns than flush tubes.

The bigger price for extended tubes is simple. There's more metal.

Even if an extended choke throw a better pattern you would hit 99.9999999999999% of the targets with a factory mod choke compared to an aftermarket choke. I prefer a cheapest extended non ported choke from briley if I have extra money or as a gift. Or for my trap gun I will buy the same chokes as I mentioned in the restriction(s) I need.

2. Extended tubes do not necessarily throw better patterns than flush tubes.

The bigger price for extended tubes is simple. There's more metal.

Here is what Carlson's Chokes had to say about that:

Dear Tyson:

The extended choketubes gives you a 25% longer parallel section than the

flush mount choke does. This longer parallel section gives you a more

consistent and denser pattern. The added knurling makes for easy removal

without having to have a wrench and the laser marked knurled ends makes it

easy to see which constriction you have in your gun without taking it out

to check.

There is a discount if ordered on line for 2 or more of the Extended

Sporting Clay chokes or the Extended Super Steel.

Thanks for checking with us.

Customer Service

Carlson's Choke Tubes

www.choketube.comDear Tyson:

Their extended chokes are not expensive (about $35 average), and yes they are easier to take out and view your constriction while in or out, but they do have a denser pattern due to its extended size.

I agree with trapshooter that you will hit the target 99.99999999999% of the time (if you know what you are doing) but special purpose choke tubes are just that. If I want a nice steel shot choke tube for long distance you can bet you butt that I am going to get an extended Steel choke tube. Call it preference, call it experience, but I choose chokes based on the job at hand. Yes I do use internal choke tubes as well because I use the right tool for the right job.

And yes timb99, you do need to pattern your shots, that is what every hunter/shooter should do to know how their gun patterns at the different yardages of the target they will be shooting or may be shooting at. But ammo will play a role in this as well, especially the wadding and shape of the shot inside the shell.

Good luck and Happy Hunting.

"The extended choketubes gives you a 25% longer parallel section than the flush mount choke does."

Which is exactly wht I said they would say. And, like I said, that's sales propaganda. I'd like them to show conclusive unbiased third party evidence of that, but they won't go to that trouble (and why should they?)

So I'll counter their propaganda with this propaganda:

There is a British company called Teague that makes choke tubes that taper all the way to the end of the choke, that is, NO parallel section whatsoever, and they claim their chokes perform better than chokes WITH a parallel section. Teague claims their chokes give less recoil, less deformed pellets, greater pattern consistency, and greater maintained velocity.

Who is right? Well, neither. The best choke is the one that gives your gun the best patterns with the ammo you're going to use.

This is why I say there's no conclusive evidence that extended tubes do anything better than flush tubes, except they're easier to get in and out, and they look cool.

And extended tubes DO cost more than flush tubes, but again, its only because they have more metal in them.

http://www.teagueprecisionchokesltd.co.uk/choke_information.html

the laser marked knurled ends makes it easy to see which constriction you have in your gun without taking it out

Benelli chokes as well as many other stock chokes have notches cut in them where you don't have to remove the choke to know if its a mod or not. Your mod choke should have 3 notches cut in the end that is easy to see with your choke in the gun. I don't think a longer parallel section will make for better patterning but I am not for sure. I am pretty sure a longer tapper section will make for better patterning.

Look Trapshooter, that was literally pasted from the email they sent me, I know how to read the chokes, but they do have a point that it is slightly easier to read a number then it is to count the notches.

Next, to the person who wrote the post above Trapshooter:

I will have to go back to Area 51 to dig out the archives on extended chokes and better patterning propaganda, Engineers don't know anything, and extended chokes don't pattern better. You are sooooooo right. I don't care, submitted an email from Carlson's Choke Tubes, tried a little harder than you to post some actual responses from people who manufacture them... Your just crapping on extended chokes because you secretly want one. And yes they can cost more just like your hunting gear in XXXXXXXXL costs more.

The only thing I agree with you on is to pattern your gun. I do it all the time with lots of guns and a lot of different ammo, for many different game, and at varying yardages. Good job you have cracked the case and spoiled the plot to sell extended chokes that don't actually pattern any better. I don't care.

Edited by tyson129

Any body every get an extended choke stuck in their gun and not be able to get it out like some of the flush mounts have?

Not yet, that would be a pretty easy removal in comparison to the internal chokes. Gun vice or vice with cloth, and a pair of pliers or an adjustable wrench with cloth would do the trick on the external chokes.

The ONLY thing extended choke tubes do any better or differently than flush choke tubes is to allow them to be more easily removed and installed.

That's it.

Nothing else.

Plus they look cooler.

This is patently inaccurate as it applies to the guns I own :)