Mossberg to Benelli

Delta12

Well, I just made the switch from Mossberg to Benelli and it's a whole different world. I had a Camo Mossy 500 Combo, and a Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader. I sold them both and picked up the Long Grass Camo Nova, and the Black Synthetic Nova Tactical.

I am looking into a trap shooting league and with my Mossberg I always getting 24/25 couldnt get that perfect score. I just took out the Nova to get ready for Pheasant hunting and now I shot 11/25 for the 1st time out tonight. I have never shot a Benelli before and it's a smooth gun, racks much smoother and feels 100% better than my older ones. I hope this is just beginners bad luck with the gun... I was using a Modified Choke in both the Mossberg and Benelli with Federal Target loads for trap and sporting clays.

Going from a 24/25 to a 11/25 is humbling.. Is this due to the barrel being new and it needs to be broken in? Or just becuase it's a new gun that I am firing for the 1st time. :eek:

Well, I just made the switch from Mossberg to Benelli and it's a whole different world. I had a Camo Mossy 500 Combo, and a Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader. I sold them both and picked up the Long Grass Camo Nova, and the Black Synthetic Nova Tactical.

I am looking into a trap shooting league and with my Mossberg I always getting 24/25 couldnt get that perfect score. I just took out the Nova to get ready for Pheasant hunting and now I shot 11/25 for the 1st time out tonight. I have never shot a Benelli before and it's a smooth gun, racks much smoother and feels 100% better than my older ones. I hope this is just beginners bad luck with the gun... I was using a Modified Choke in both the Mossberg and Benelli with Federal Target loads for trap and sporting clays.

Going from a 24/25 to a 11/25 is humbling.. Is this due to the barrel being new and it needs to be broken in? Or just becuase it's a new gun that I am firing for the 1st time. :eek:

Your nova may pattern higher than your mossberg did, meaning you may have to aim under the bird slightly. Don't worry I shot trap with my nova when I first got it and shot 8 out of 25 first time and then 16 and slow progress from there. Pretty soon I was hitting in the 20s then I kept hitting 24s and I have hit several 25s with it. Not bad for 2 months shooting that nova. You will get better.

Good Call, there is a place right down the road from where I live that will let me pattern my shotgun. I might do that a couple of times before I go shoot trap/sporting clays. I should def. do that before Pheasant Opener this weekend.

Thanks for the help!

Simply put, the new gun does not fit you the same way as the old Mossberg guns did.

Pattern it, and see where it shoots.

If it doesn't shoot where you think it shoots, or where you want it to shoot, you have three options.

Learn to shoot where it shoots.

Get it modified so that it shoots where you want it to shoot.

Get a different gun.

Off-the-shelf guns are made to fit everybody. Which means they fit almost nobody perfectly.

Good luck.

same situation with my vinci I shoot trap 3-4 times a week usually a 4 or 5 rounds, and I used to shoot a 870 wingmaster my dad gave me and it shot great but it was wearing down being 45 years old and shooting it soo much and I want it to last so my dad got me the gun of my dreams the vinci and i went out and missed the first five on station two and i ended up shooting a 15 pretty bad so we patternd it and i just adjusted to it and the other night i shot a 25 in the wind with a full choke I was pretty happy with that and I been in the 20s pretty good I need to get my scores up for competition to all 25s and 24s, but my point is just keep at it and eventually everything just falls into place.