Benelli M1 Entry

Shadow864

Hello All, I am new to forum, just recently scored a Benelli M1 Entry Model with Surefire forend Ghost Ring NS's for a really good deal... Waiting on the Class III papers to finish pending so I can bring it home... First off this will be my first Benelli purchase.. I own several pumps IE (remington's Mossberg, Ithaca) I bought this M1 for the intentions of a good HD gun and might be carried with me on duty in the near future... Questions for all you M1 owners are there any things I need to look out for this gun as far as special matience? types of shells it should be fed? Has anyone tried adding any additions to a benelli M1?

Edited by Shadow864

I can tell you from expierence with my buddies M1 and M3 you dont want to add alot of weight to the gun such as a flashlight can cause it to jam due the inertia system. Cycle 150-250 rounds of 00 buck full power and you should be able to feedlow recoil buck or birdshot after its broken in. If its for just hd or duty keep it stocked with full power 00 buck.Just my 2 cents. Congrats on finding one with a short barrel as they are really hard to find. If you want to mount a bunch of tactical stuff for HD you would be better suited with an M4.Btw its a great gun that started the whole Benelli semi auto swat revolution!

Thanks for the response... As far as adding anything else to the M1, its pretty much already setup to my taste. I also like the straight stock its got on it vs. the pistol grip, nothing against the pistol grip I am just use to training with the a straight stock and prefer it over the pistol grip..

Edited by Shadow864

I know allot of people mention the weight issue with the inertia guns (i.e. don't bolt too much to them or they may have issues cycling properly). But with the entry guns, does the decrease in weight (minus 4" of bbl and tube) go the other way (or maybe compinsate for the weight of adding a surefire)? My 14" M2 doesn't care what I put through it or how I hold it, it eats everything without a hickup. Just wondering if it's reduced weight might make any difference (it's a 14" M2 with ghost rings and pistol grip, no lights or anything else added)

It seems logical that the loss of the extra weight with the short barrel would give you a little more capacity to hang goodies on it without seeing cycling problems. I wonder, are long barrel M1s more prone to problems with lighter loads? BTW Congrats Shawdow on your new aquisition! I have an M1 tactical that got me into Benellis it has never hiccuped once on me

Hookster

Edited by Hookster

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a M1 Entry gun for 10 - 12 years now. I love it. The only problem I ever had was shooting reduced recoil buckshot. Occasionally, it would short cycle with that and other lower power loads. I replaced the recoil spring/tube with a stainless SureCycle tube/spring. Not a care since. It has reliably digested everything I feed it. I can't think of any other problems I've ever had with the gun. I've used it primarily for 3-gun competition and shotgun training classes out at the academy. I haven't hung a bunch of other stuff all over it either so I don't know what that would do to mine. I've even shot skeet with it a couple of times. Best round was 22. For a while it was my primary skeet/pheasant gun but I had put a 21 inch barrel on it for all that. I finally got another M1 and put the 21 on it an put the 14 back where it belonged. I love that gun.

Edited by truckcop

• 2 weeks later...