MR1 first test

cody6.0

I picked it up less than an hour after it was delivered by UPS at my local dealer. Benelli MSRP was $1299 and I paid $1100 so I didn't make out too bad knock on wood.

To be quite honest you can tell it's origins are more Beretta than Benelli, it looks like someone took apart a CX4 and M4 and mixed up the pieces and told someone to build a gun. The stock is the same one used on my M2 and the reciever looks like a magazine fed M2/M4. The fore end is very CX4 and is what I would call the least Benelli looking part.

Accuracy is in the air as I have only put 10rds through her but since the sight is attached to the fore end which comes off for disassembly i'm sure optics will be the only way to shoot wings off a fly.;)

Over all it's what I wanted and it complements my Benelli shotguns well too. As for the piston fouling folks experienced I guess only time or should I say rounds will tell.

!New info added below!

Edited by cody6.0

Have you ever taken a AR/M4/M16 apart the barrel doesn't stay the same thinkness from chamber to business end either.

So far I must say I am impressed with this thing the trigger is light years beyond my AR it has a short sight to bore and the opereation is very smooth. This thing can spit lead faster than my AR could also the piston drive on it cycles very, very fast.

My only dissapointment is the lack of a muzzle brake/flash hider but I guess the two extra inches of actual barrrel is a ok trade.

Have you ever taken a AR/M4/M16 apart the barrel doesn't stay the same thinkness from chamber to business end either.

So far I must say I am impressed with this thing the trigger is light years beyond my AR it has a short sight to bore and the opereation is very smooth. This thing can spit lead faster than my AR could also the piston drive on it cycles very, very fast.

My only dissapointment is the lack of a muzzle brake/flash hider but I guess the two extra inches of actual barrrel is a ok trade.

i wasnt trying to insult you or your new purchase, i was just making an observation. and im glad you are happy with your new weapon.:)

I have some interest in picking up this rifle, PM sent.

Edit: ok well i cant send pm's because i dont have at least 15 posts ;)

Hey i have some interest on picking up that MR1 that you posted that you are selling.

How much are you willing to drop the price if i pick it up?

Which model is this weapon: the pistol grip and collapasible stock, no pistol grip, or the pistol grip and the non-collapasing stock?

Could you send some pictures of the weapon?

Will it come with any accessories or is it just the rifle?

I also wanted to know if you had any better impression of the weapon now that you've owned it for a few days. Im very interested in it but i just havent seen any solid reviews.

Thanks for your time and hopefully we can make a deal.

Edited by fenrir

Cody - thanks for the test. I got a look at the MR1 a few months ago and I was impressed. Though I did not get to fire it, the feel was just "right". As to the look, I was a person who absolutely, positively despised the FS2000. Looked like a crappy space-gun wannabe. Then one day at a shoot we have on a New England forum I belong to, a member handed me his FS2000 as a thank you for letting him shoot my SOCOM-16/Troy MCS. Not wanting to appear ungracious, I took the ghastly rifle to the line and fell in love. You can't judge a book by its cover...

The three questions I have, which I didn't see covered: Do mags drop free? I it the safety/mag release ambidextrous? I'm a righty, but my left handed buddy was enquiring. Lastly, does the barrel seem to have the diameter where it could be threaded to accept a common flash hider? TIA

The three questions I have, which I didn't see covered: Do mags drop free? I it the safety/mag release ambidextrous? I'm a righty, but my left handed buddy was enquiring. Lastly, does the barrel seem to have the diameter where it could be threaded to accept a common flash hider? TIA

The mags do drop just like an AR and there is a Left & Right mag release. As for the barrel I am not sure what diameters muzzle brakes/flash hiders come in so I can't say 100% if you could do it. My original intentions were to keep one MR1 factory and add the short RX4 barrel to the other but I gave up on that project becase of all the red tape.

I have some interest in picking up this rifle, PM sent.

Edit: ok well i cant send pm's because i dont have at least 15 posts ;)

Hey i have some interest on picking up that MR1 that you posted that you are selling.

How much are you willing to drop the price if i pick it up?

Which model is this weapon: the pistol grip and collapasible stock, no pistol grip, or the pistol grip and the non-collapasing stock?

Could you send some pictures of the weapon?

Will it come with any accessories or is it just the rifle?

I also wanted to know if you had any better impression of the weapon now that you've owned it for a few days. Im very interested in it but i just havent seen any solid reviews.

Thanks for your time and hopefully we can make a deal.

The US release has only the fixed pistol grip stock and will come just as I bought it as there is no real accessories yet except some fore end rails.

As for pictures if I could find somewhere I could actually access to host them I could post up quite a few. The old dinosaur I have all my camera software on hates the new format homepages and photo hosts. I am trying to load it onto my other one as we speak so I can get some up for both general information and for anyone who is interested in buying it.

When it comes to my current impression I put a few more rounds through my other one Sunday and all I can say is that it was fun. Unlike an AR the MR1 is much more user friendly and when holding it I swear it puts itself on target. I don't know if any of you have had a Beretta CX4 but it is that simple to use and is equally as accurate.

I know that the ARGO system was a source of concern for others here as well as myself. I havent taken apart the one I am selling yet but I just cleaned the other last night and it was dirty but not beyond what I would call normal. The piston cleans up with a brush and the gas chamber is easy to clean since a 12ga cleaning heads fit perfect. I just wish I could remember what I used to get brass marks off my guns so I can do the same to my MR1's.

As for price I pulled it of GB because I figured I would give someone here or another forum a chance first. I would like to get $1150 but would be open to a decent offer buyer pays actual shipping to a FFL of their choice. If I don't hear anything I will most likely just throw it back on GB tonight.

Edited by cody6.0

As for pictures if I could find somewhere I could actually access to host them I could post up quite a few. The old dinosaur I have all my camera software on hates the new format homepages and photo hosts. I am trying to load it onto my other one as we speak so I can get some up for both general information and for anyone who is interested in buying it.

Transfer your pictures to the computer, then upload them to the hosting service. Much easier that way.

http://www.photobucket.com

Just thought I would add this also since the ARGO system used on the MR1 was a concern.

After disassembling my friends R1 I can say for 100% sure they only share the same concept and not design. The main differences being that the MR1 uses a free floating piston, one o-ring and a much different pressure control system.