Benelli Model 121-m1

Zardoz

I have just purchased a model 121-m1 and can not figure out how it works?

I have never used a semi-auto shotgun before and I have spent at least 2 hours in fruitless attempts to make this work.

I can put rounds in the magazine by pushing in and sliding back the little button on the side of the reciever but when I operate the bolt the shell will not slide out of the magazine and into the loading lever.

The solution must be simple! It is driving me nuts or have I got a broken gun?

Can anyone help.

Thanks

Bill

• 2 years later...

For starters, hello Benelli forum! M1014, you seem to be the source for info on these 121-M1's. I need your help please.

If you want I'll post whatever how many pictures of my newly aquired 121-M1 for you to see, but what info did you give the OP for his problem? I'm in the same boat as him and all internet searches brought me here, where i saw your posts. Thanks in advance, and if I should start a new thread let me know.

• 5 months later...

Huklbrry,

Benelli state that the reason for this system was to facilitate rapid exchange of different cartridges without causing unwanted rounds to feed from chamber e.g. you are out hunting rabbits with std. vel. 1 1/8 oz No.6s and you see a fox. Quick! Remove round from chamber, drop in a 1 1/2 oz. Magnum No.1 and kaboom - bye, bye Mr. Fox so goes the theory ...

I've also heard that some people use it as a means of quickly emptying the chamber whilst they climb over an obstacle (empty chamber 'safe' gun) and then reload, without having to go through the process of a complete unload / reload drill.

As I've never used a gun utilising this mechanism I cannot really say how good or bad the idea really is.

Kind regards

Andy

Thanks for your help! Turns out, my gun's not broken, it's just automatic. It all becomes clear when I take it to the range, load it, put one in the chamber, and pull the trigger. As if by magic, the 121 m1 loads itself 7 more times! Ya'll should have told me to quit playing with it and go shoot it.

Huklbrry,

Benelli state that the reason for this system was to facilitate rapid exchange of different cartridges without causing unwanted rounds to feed from chamber e.g. you are out hunting rabbits with std. vel. 1 1/8 oz No.6s and you see a fox. Quick! Remove round from chamber, drop in a 1 1/2 oz. Magnum No.1 and kaboom - bye, bye Mr. Fox so goes the theory ...

I've also heard that some people use it as a means of quickly emptying the chamber whilst they climb over an obstacle (empty chamber 'safe' gun) and then reload, without having to go through the process of a complete unload / reload drill.

As I've never used a gun utilising this mechanism I cannot really say how good or bad the idea really is.

Kind regards

Andy

My 1977 Browning Sweet Sixteen system with the cartirdge shut-off lever is MUCH more efficient and easy to deal with. Taken me a lot of time to get used to the Benelli Montefeltro system. It's a pain in the rear. And... my right thumb gets really sore (for a week or more) trying to shove shells into the over-springed magazine tube.

Lately it seems that "progress" is always a step backwards... (e.i., Obama.)

P.S. You guys tried to buy any ammo lately? No 9mm in my community today. I am supposed to do the CHL course this weekend but can find no ammo! What's a guy to do? No 9 mm... AND... No 16 gauge, and 20 gauge is getting scarce. Plenty of 12 gauge still.

You know what we were all dreading after election day... I think IT'S HAPPENING!!!