SBE II Forend Problem (See Pic)

pcdmisexpert

Ok, I am at my wits end. The gun has been shot six times and on it's second forend.

The original forend that came with the gun was loose. Very loose. Went through customer service and had asked me the standard questions, do you have all the barrel rings, is the barrel flush etc. etc. So long story short, Benelli sends me a new one.

I install the new forend and problem solved, the forend tightens up. Well, better than it was orginally. I can still feel movement. Now, when I look down the barrel at the forend around the barrel ring, there is a gap. And if I twist the forend to the left, it centers it self to the barrel ring.

I do not believe this is normal, can somebody confirm this ?

Edited by pcdmisexpert

• 2 weeks later...

Here is how I fixed mine, hopefully your problem is the same as mine. Put some electrical tape on the outside of the barrel ring. You will have to see how many pieces stacked to one another to where the for end piece will fit snug. If you get to many or it is to thick the for end piece will not slip over the ring.This will tighten the for end up to where it isn't so loose. Let me know how it works.

we buy 1500.00 shotguns and have to use electrical tape to fix them???

Sounds like an odd occurrance. This guy has posted this all over the Internet, and received little support from other SBE II owners.

I checked my SBE II and about 15 others, and I have not seen the gap he speaks of. But, the forearms are not overly snug on any of them, so it's probably a bit loose by design so that the part isn't broken when taking apart and putting back together. It needs some play because of how the part fits over the barrel ring. His sounds like it might have excessive play, even with the new forearm.

The SBE II/M2 forearm, like the recoil pad, has gone through a few growing pains since they first came out. Some of the forearms were very snug around lower ring that goes over the mag tube. It fits very snug and I saw many broken when they first came out. I think Benelli added a hair of clearance later, as I have not heard that much about it lately.

Btw, not that it's relevant, but a Lexus comes off the assembly line with no less than 46 defects. Machines built by humans will always be subject to human error :)

I can only image the grief Beretta will get from their new $2000+- A400 :eek:

• 3 years later...

I have just bought a SBE II and have the same condition.The forend just doesn't fit snug enough around the barrel.I also(IMHO) feel the same way as the guy who posted this.We pay 1500.00 for a shotgun and need to use electrical tape to fix a condition that again(IMHO) shouldn't even exist.Fit and finish should be second to none on these guns.I'm not slamming Benelli ,not by any means.I think they are great guns.I have also emailed them in regards to this and will let everyone know how it works out.

I have just bought a SBE II and have the same condition.The forend just doesn't fit snug enough around the barrel.I also(IMHO) feel the same way as the guy who posted this.We pay 1500.00 for a shotgun and need to use electrical tape to fix a condition that again(IMHO) shouldn't even exist.Fit and finish should be second to none on these guns.I'm not slamming Benelli ,not by any means.I think they are great guns.I have also emailed them in regards to this and will let everyone know how it works out.

Good luck getting a response. I have been waiting two weeks for a response to a very simple question not wanting to void the warranty on my new SBEII.

@ duckwacker.I did get a response.What they told me was that some play is normal on these guns.My question back was what is considered "some play"? and again told the same thing.They did offer to send me a new forend to see if is any tighter fit.and then I can just send back the other forend.So as soon as I get it I will let everyone know how it works out.

I realize the play shouldn't affect anything but my OCD kicks in over stuff like that i guess.What I'm thinking about doing if the new one isn't any tighter is to lay some fiberglass front and rear ,let it harden and then just smooth it off untill I get the play out of it.

I too feel that at $1500.00 for one of these this shouldn't be needed at all,but that's just me.:p

• 4 weeks later...

OK heres the scoop on the forend. Benelli has sent me a brand new replacement.As soon as I took it out of the package I noticed that at the end there are several washers/spring,etc.They are tight and not loose or shaking around.The forend on mine when I bought it had play and they rattled in there.It never occurred to me that this could have been a part of the issue i was having.Well,that all being said.The new forend is very snug to the gun now.Benelli CS is second to none as far as I'm concerned.

I also have the same problem on my brand new LH SBE II I paid $1650 for. Contacted Benelli a number of times and ways. Waiting for a reply. My gun came with no spacers or rings for the forend.

I also have the same problem on my brand new LH SBE II I paid $1650 for. Contacted Benelli a number of times and ways. Waiting for a reply. My gun came with no spacers or rings for the forend.

I'm still not clear as to the purpose of these parts in the forend but I think all SBE II should have them.The new one I received from Benelli works great.

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing happened to me. I bought a right handed SBEII with no rings/spacers. I went back four days later to buy a left handed model for my wife and that one had the rings/spacers. Benelli is sending me rings/spacers. In the mean time, I put my wife's forend on my gun and I'm happy, happy, happy!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same prob on mine with mine and I just added a couple tiny pieces of tape to the aft end of the grip. Just receiving my slug barrel, there is no play at all and is tight. Either way I'm still happy with the gun. Not sure what the washers or spacers do, any pics or location of where they go?