WOW!!!

MassMark

It seems like only yesterday I was contemplating and then planning for the purchase of a new Benelli Super Nova Tactical. Turns out it was February!!! Well, I've never been known to be one who's on time for a party, so I took delivery of my brand new SNT this afternoon... I had been Benelli-less since selling my Super90 some years ago to go help fund 1/2 a year in Africa. Since then, I have had some quality trigger time - first with a friends Nova Tactical - then his replacement SNT. Nothing beats finally owning your own... :cool: One day, I'd love to replace my long lost Super90 Tactical, but for now - I'm in Benelli heaven!

Why this shotgun is not in the homes of more people and in the patrol cars of more LEO's, I'll never know. Having owned both 870s and 500s, the obvious edge of the Super Nova Tactical, is clear from the first rack of the slide and the first trigger pull. Shooting from first 10 and then 25-yards with standard Remington 00-Buck at center-mass targets, the accuracy was more than impressive. Moving back from 25-50 yards and shooting Brenneke KO's I was nothing short of amazed by the accuracy of this gun and the muted recoil, compared to it's Mossberg and Remington cousins. This gun is really in a class by itself. After 50-rounds of Remington 00 and 15-rounds of the Brenneke, I was left with fading light and wanting to shoot more...This is just a superb gun - just superb.

Of course, like all new owners I have a few basic questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, I was curious about a sling. I'm thinking of purchasing a Troy or Vickers 2-point and had even thought about using an M-14 sling. I was curious as to what others use.

Next, I would like to add a +2 extension. I understand that this topic has been covered in depth and have considered Tac-Star, (which I have read has some weak points), Mesa Tactical, (which seems solid), Choate, (which I have not read about on here, but have seen discussed elsewhere) and finally Benelli OEM, (which I would prefer). I was wondering if anyone has a source for original Benelli OEM +2's.

Last, ammo. I am a believer in 00-buck and my first experience with Brenneke KO slugs was just stellar, (If you have not tried them - you should). What caught my eye, was some Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense rounds. They are plated BB shot and heavily marketed where I work part time, (DSG) as an HD round. I have a box, but have not fired, or researched their effectiveness. They seem to rely on the plated BB's and tight mass to effect the desired result, but have not really heard whether these are deemed to be an effective HD round. I plan on taking some to the range for testing, but was wondering if anyone else had either tried, or read anything about this fodder.

Thanks so much to all who contribute to this site. Much of what I read here - coupled with my own positive Benelli experiences, led me back to this pistol gripped SNT. Thanks also to Mike from Vincent A. Pestilli Associates, (my Benelli Rep). A recent visit while I was working behind the counter, sparked me to get off my butt and place my order. I am grateful I did...

I have a original Benelli tube that looks like the one found on M2 tacticals and makes both the Nova and Supernova 6+1. I would part with it for $70 shipped for the tube, barrel nut/coupler, ext. spring and end cap.

By the way I hope you enjoy your new SNT I put well over 5,000rds through mine with not one issue. Also shells like the Federal Flite Control are very nice out of the fixed cyl. barrel on the SNT.

Edited by cody6.0

Hey MassMark,

Welcome back to Benelli-Land!

As far as the Rem HD 00, it sounds a lot like the Remington LE TAC 8 00 seen here:

http://www.remingtonle.com/ammo/ss_tac8.htm

I just recieved 75 rds of this stuff to try out today (Thanks Tinman1975 for the Ammotogo.com link) I'll be posting some thoughts and pics as soon as I get a chance to shoot some of it and see how it patterns.

Later,

Hookster :)

I have a original Benelli tube that looks like the one found on M2 tacticals and makes both the Nova and Supernova 6+1. I would part with it for $70 shipped for the tube, barrel nut/coupler, ext. spring and end cap.

By the way I hope you enjoy your new SNT I put well over 5,000rds through mine with not one issue. Also shells like the Federal Flite Control are very nice out of the fixed cyl. barrel on the SNT.

Thanks so much Cody - PM sent. As much as the aftermarket tubes look great, I'd like to stick with Benelli OEM. I read your post about going back to 4+1 and the subsequent math challenge you had to put out there - +1 for patience... :) I'd like to give a higher capacity a whirl - though I'm realistic about the nuances of a shotgun in a fight and the extra rounds may be superfluous. Any issues with the OEM tube I should be looking for? Thanks again. Thanks as well for the tip on flight control - if they hit anything like those school-buss Brenneke's, they will be a welcome addition....I was amazed - thoroughly - at how accurate those Brennekes were...

Hey MassMark,

Welcome back to Benelli-Land!

As far as the Rem HD 00, it sounds a lot like the Remington LE TAC 8 00 seen here:

http://www.remingtonle.com/ammo/ss_tac8.htm

I just recieved 75 rds of this stuff to try out today (Thanks Tinman1975 for the Ammotogo.com link) I'll be posting some thoughts and pics as soon as I get a chance to shoot some of it and see how it patterns.

Later,

Hookster :)

Hookster - thanks for the welcome and I'm wondering if this is the same stuff. It's definitely not 00-Buck and has the following listing on the package:

HD Ultimate Home Defense

• Loaded with Remington's Heavy Density Tungsten-Bronze-Iron pellets.
  • Heavy duty pellets are even heavier than standard lead pellets and retain higher energy for greater stopping power
  • Short-range patterns in smoothbore barrels are very tight for maximum effectiveness
  • Remington HD - The Ultimate Home Defense Shotshell

They are 2 3/4 1250fps 1 1/4oz BB shot...If I can get there, will try some short range tests this afternoon and post some pics...Of course, with the over-the-top marketing, these shells are not a cheap ride. We're talking about $29.99 for 10 rounds. On a fiscal level, it certainly makes a good argument for the tried and true 00-buck, but if this fodder has some defense value, then it may be worth the wallet crunch...

Cody 6.0: I sent you a PM regarding the extension, but don't have enough posts yet - will get there in a minute. If it's a Benelli, I'll take it. I have read through some of your threads here and can feel your pain. Some of the worst deals I have ever made were ones where I was actually doing someone a favor and taking a loss..

In any case, I see you have an M2 and will likely be posting Q's on that after some research. I had an old 90's era Super90 Tactical and loved it. As much as I'd like an M4, the M2 seems close. I had a chance on a squeaky-clean Super90, but missed it by a millisecond....For now, the SNT is a nice ride and I'll bide my time for either another Super90 or an M2...

If I don't get enough posts to PM today, I'll shoot you an E-mail, but I'll state publicly, that I'll take the OEM extension...Would love the M&P, but I have enough AR builds going and may give an MR1 a whirl when my next ProForm comes along...:cool:

Edited by MassMark

I did a search on sling mounts, but only came up with a clamp-on style, picatinny. It seems like a good idea - especially if I want to attach a light, (which I may). It just seems too busy for me. What I'm looking for, is something to attach directly to the sling swivel slot on the SNT tube. I thought about a standard QR, but am looking for more of a loop that a Troy or Vickers sling hook could attach to. Does anyone have info on a QR loop, rather than the rectangular standard QR? TIA....