SOCOM 16 Range Report

Hookster

I must have mispoke. This was a wood stock. I was saying that the stain on it was all sorts of splotchy and the plastic shroud on it looked like it was made w/o a care in the world about the quality of the finished product. I'm not saying it wouldn't have worked, I just think for the price I would like a better looking gun. I have seen nothing but good things from srpingfields cs. Like I was saying before my friend bought a socom, and the barrel had no rifling so it wouldn't group for **** and the bullets would start to tumble. One call to cs and they sent him a new barrel. There a great company. That particular gun just wasn't for me.

Ahhh i see what you were saying...the brown handguard part. That makes more sense now. Yeah it is an expensive gun by most peoples standards...but as far as M1'a/M14's go...they are actually at the cheaper end of the spectrum. You do probably lose a little bit of quality just because of the fact that they are commercially mass produced.....but if you look at the nice hand built ones like LRB or fulton....some people pay up to 4-5 thousand dollars to build em. As far as the stocks...unfortunately most of the new M1A's built by springfield have boyd's stocks on em...and yeah those kind of suck......they are spray stained and a lot of times arent cosmetically as nice as a natural GI walnut stocks treated with linseed or tung oil like they used to. Also a lot of people dont like the thick contour of boyds stocks as compared to the old usgi walnut stocks

Edited by tinman1975

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from the 60 mile round trip to the gun shop........closed for Easter.....AAArrrggggg! Oh well I'll have a little more time to think about things and I can head up there next Friday.

Later,

Hookster :)

That sucks! I can't believe there open on sundays at all! There not here. Oh well though, it will give you time to change your mind and go for one of these instead.

http://www.lesbaer.com/boltaction.html

That's one **** of an accuracy guarantee! Even better than on a Jarret.

Hookster........shes looking pretty. Glad you took the plunge and drilled that cheek riser into the stock. I was a little nervous doing that to my Walnut Scout, but it definitely rounds out the weapon. I took her out to the Range last week and just did some iron sight slow fire group's on the 100. I had to walk it up from the bottom to center because of the new front sight post i put on, but Check it out:

CIMG0299.jpg

CIMG0298.jpg

Lookin' good Taylaboy! I'm looking at picking up a full length M1A loaded w/stainless barrel on Friday to keep the Socom company

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=44

I'm going to scope it so I've got some feelers out for scope mount opinions over on M14TFL

Now my dilema will be drilling the beautiful walnut stock for another Karsten or just getting the JAE stock with the riser

http://www.jallenenterprises.com/

Take Care,

dang Hooky!! you just talked me into another rifle. im definately gonna get the JAE swat black stock, but which m1 fits in it best?? im leaning towards the m1a super match grade .308. are the 2 compatible by any chance? the only reason i lean towards the super match grade is it most likely has matched parts that makes it more accurate. what are your thoughts?? i also am looking into a schmidt & bender scope for it.

dang Hooky!! you just talked me into another rifle.

Ah Yes! My mind control experiments are still going exceedingly well..........:cool:

Soon..... I'll have you sending me all your goodies!

If your going to scope it and put it in the JAE stock you are paying for a couple extras with the Super Match that you don't need (glass bedding in the stock and finer .5 moa adjustment on the rear sight elevation etc.) Also, If you want the JAE make sure they have it to fit the Super Match's heavy barrel. They probably do but I'm not sure (the Loaded and the National Match are medium weight)

Later Bro'

thanks for the info GB, but ill have to pass. A- i dont really like bolt guns and B- i likey semi or full auto weapons!!:D

Understandable! I love all guns. Theres just something about a bolt gun and being able to get ten shots into a quarter at 100 yards that peeks my interest though. If it doesnt have to be a .308 I believe his ARs have the same accuracy guarantee.

well HOOKY do you think someone sells just the super match barrel and receivergroup with trigger assy only? stock, sights obviously not needed. and the heavy super match barrel is better than the match or national match barrel? heavy is better medium right?? im still learning about this springfield stuff obviously!!:D

It would probably be easiest to just buy a Springfield rifle and start from there but you aren't limited to Springfield Armory. The M14 platforms are like ARs in the respect that you can build or have built whatever you want or have the budget for. Some of the real nice stuff is put together by LRB

http://www.lrbarms.com/

M14TFL.com is a great source for info

Later,

Skeeter,

If you are going to get the JAE Stock, might I suggest just peicing out the rest of the weapon? Just buy a Trigger group.....maybe a double lugged receiver and a free floating barrel and you are in business. To me its a waste to buy the supermatch if you arent going to use it in the glass bedded stock system like its meant to be. You would still be getting everything you need, just not wasting money you could otherwise be spending on 7.62 :)

Hookster, if I could do it all over again, I would just buy the peices separate and do a build from scratch. I have swapped out or modified everything on my Scout except for the Bolt and Barrel. The Reciever has a few mods, gas system is shimmed, new front sight post system, stock has been drilled in the Rear for cheek riser and front for the Front Rail to mount b****s, lots of the guts have been upgraded or replaced entirely. To me it would just be easier to get the exact peices of what you want up front and build the whole thing on your own. You may have different intentions though, cause I like the Walnut too :)

Skeeter,

If you are going to get the JAE Stock, might I suggest just peicing out the rest of the weapon? Just buy a Trigger group.....maybe a double lugged receiver and a free floating barrel and you are in business. :)

yeah that was my intention after reading up on that m1a/m14 site you directed me towards. and thanks Taylaboy for the heads up!! TS

Hookster, if I could do it all over again, I would just buy the peices separate and do a build from scratch. I have swapped out or modified everything on my Scout except for the Bolt and Barrel. The Reciever has a few mods, gas system is shimmed, new front sight post system, stock has been drilled in the Rear for cheek riser and front for the Front Rail to mount b****s, lots of the guts have been upgraded or replaced entirely. To me it would just be easier to get the exact peices of what you want up front and build the whole thing on your own. You may have different intentions though, cause I like the Walnut too :)

Hey Taylaboy!

I have been considerating the do it yourself route. I should probably pick up the "Complete Assembly Guide" book and read it before I went that direction. If I do move ahead with picking up the SA M1A Loaded I don't think I'd be viewing it as my last M14 type rifle purchase by any means.

quick question:

With all the changes you've made to your Scout were most of them motivated by actual problems/malfunctions that you experienced, trying to improve accuracy or just wanting to know that you had the best quality parts on board?

There are so many opinions on everything at M14TFL it can sometimes be a lot to sift through

Take Care,

Two suggestions to get a lower checkweld:

1) Desert Warrior check rest (requires drilling into your stock to mount it).

2) Run an Aimpoint T-1.

The former is pretty inexpensive and probably the best bet if you want to save money.

I run my M1A this way and it is awesome. Mines an LRB--you will not find a better M1A!

The reason I made all the Mod's on my scout were purely out of obession. I wanted to make it more accurate, durable and personalized to my shooting style. Pretty much the same reason I found this forum and tweeked my M4. As I am sure you know, those rifles come pretty damn perfect. Some guys scoff at the upgrades people make, but its just a matter of taste.

I have that exact book you mentioned, and can honestly say it is my bible. EXCELLENT peice of gear you should snatch up ASAP. I have taken that rifle completely apart and put back together and it has been indispensable.

The reason I would do it different is because now I am more familiar with the weapon system and see where my upgrades were just purely redundant. I would just start over with a new build because the M14/M1a Platform is a very simple one. Instead of spending 2k on a standard model, you could spend the majority of that on upgrading the main peices. For example:

A double Lugged receiver would let you use a free floating barrel. Standard Receiver wont. Which improves accuracy and consistency. All the mods I have done such as the cheek riser and bi pod mount , scope mount, etc you could just replace by getting a modified stock from the get go, and still have options of slapping other things on it later if you want too. You could just get a basic USGI Trigger Group and have it modified, or buy one that comes that way. All the smaller parts you can just buy as you go.

Unfortunately I didnt have this knowledge up front, but the rifle still turned out great. I got a lot of satisfaction doing all the gunsmithing myself like it was a personal accomplishment.

I hope I dont sound like I am telling you what to do, but I am sure you know that. Just wanted to throw it over the fence at you since you are on the cusp of getting a new one!

My Understanding is the M14 was an actual service rifle used by the Marines. I believe the main difference was the coveted "Selector Switch" where you could put that bad boy on full auto. I believe there was some differences with the Gas System as well but not positive.

The M1A is essentially the same thing but just the Civilian version (Minus the switch.) If you take the rifles apart they are pretty much identical. I wish I could give you a list of specific differences, but I lost the links on my browser recently.

Springfield Armory has made a few different versions of the M1A. You have the National Match, Standard, Socom 16, Scout, Socom 2, and a couple others. Fundamentally they are all the same, with the main differences only being the barrel length/sight system and types of stock. But the receivers, bolts, Trigger Group, and other peices are all pretty much the same thing.

It can be confusing at first because lots of manufacturers who make aftermarket parts will just say "M14" or "M1A" which would lead you to believe they are completely different. However, depending on how specific you are getting, they are pretty much the same.

Hookster seems like a pretty knowledgable fellow, so he may be able to add or subtract some of my points.

You gonna get one Skeeter? Fun rifles boy!

Yes Sir Taly, im gonna build one here real soon. after i finish my 12ga. silencer project!!:D but when im ready, i know where to get the m25 receiver and the JAE stock. everything else i still have to research and figure out which parts to use. ill hit you and Hooky up for that info. did you read my pm to you??:p