SOCOM 16 Range Report

Hookster

Hey Taylaboy, Skeeter and Nemesis!

I just got back from the gun shop. Their supply of M1As had been significantly reduced since last week including the Loaded model that I had looked at. They had sold the Loaded, a Standard with a synthetic stock, a Socom-16 and a Socom II since I was there Saturday. Apparently, it was a great week to be selling M1As!

I did however pick up a Standard M1A with a Walnut stock :D

Taylaboy, I still think that I will proceed along the route you suggested and do my old build. But I want to take my time and I still have some knowledge to aquire. I'm pretty sure when I do move ahead with the high end parts build it will end up in a JAE stock and I really also want to have a scoped M1A in a nice wood stock just to play with....hence today's purchase!

I'm really getting into these guns which is funny for me since they are a little more old school and I'm usually more into the latest and greatest. Whatever it is about them, I've definitely fallen for their charm. Actually.... I had been on the verge of picking one up in 1999 but ended up picking up a 7.62 Galil instead.

I had been thinking that I'd probably go with a Sadlak scope mount (the titanium or the Airborne Steel) and have them do their custom fit work for $45 to make sure I got a good fit with the out of spec SA receiver but I think I'm going to give the Bassett picatinny mount a try based some recommendations and a lot of good feedback about them that I've seen on M14TFL.

I'll keep you guys posted and I'll get some pics up after the 10 waiting period is over (like Homer Simpson says.....10 DAYS!!!...BUT I'M MAD NOW!!!!!)

Later,

Hookster :)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Me and old Hookster live in Kalifornia.......we are lucky to even have 2nd Ammend Rights out here!! I hate that 10 day wait.

Hookster,

You cant go wrong with the weapon you purchased, or your intentions with it. I am looking forward to your experience with the rail once you get everything on it. I was going to put the Titanium Sadlak mount on mine but am holding off for a bit longer.

Skeeter,

I actually just checked my PMs, and saw I had one from both you and hookster. Sorry I missed them, I never looked. Yeah, that Forum can get kinda uppity sometimes. When i tried to use the word "Z0mbie" it put Thug in its place. WTF?? Regardless, its a great place to get knowledge on the weapons. I was pleasantly surprised to see hookster lurking over there too. All you boys have great taste in firearms!!

I bought an old Polytech M14 for my first ever gun about 2 years back. Got it for $700 and have loved it ever since. I've since converted my friend to the itch and he bought a Springfield M1A Squad Scout, way better than mine, but I don't think I'll ever trade mine away.

Next gun of choice (when they're cheaper and/or I'm richer): FN Scar 17

Things I require of my guns:

1: Way cool

2: Simple and easy disassembly and cleaning.

I've kept with these rules except for one of my guns. The Walther G-22; crazy easy to lose important microscopic pieces when cleaning. I'd have sold it a long time ago, but it's so dang fun to shoot.

Hookster I have never seen that one before. Which one were you going after? the picatinny? If they let you still use the irons, keep 1/2 MOA and keep the clearance needed for Brass.....sounds like we have a winner. I was focused on Sadlak specifically because of the Iron Sight use Capability (Plus I am a sucker for all things titanium.)

I have never used a Scope in my life (Besides my Aimpoint T1.) Everything I have ever done has been Iron Sights, so I have been doing my research on all the different options, and have yet to decide which one I want. I want something that will stay effective at 300-800yrds without having to do a ton of Ballistic Calculations. So I am taking my time with that purchase. What sort of scope are you putting on your new Standard?

Yeah, I'm looking at the regular Picatinny (not the low) it says you should be able to use the irons with most scopes

http://www.bassettmachine.com/prod_smpr.htm

I think the "should" part in there is CYA in case someone had a scope with a huge bell end. Being able to use the irons with the scope in place is a big draw for me too! I haven't picked a scope yet but I think I'm leaning towards a Leupold. I'll keep you posted when I narrow things down.

Later,

Edited by Hookster

Yeah, the Leupold was my first choice. I think the Mark 4 was the one I was looking at? But I have to learn how to use the Mildot system. I picked up the Mildot Master with the slide rule in case I do. You seen that? pretty cool for quick calculations.

My challenge is picking a scope that lets me go from x10-45/60? pretty easily. Anything within 100yrds I can Iron Sight. But then again, if you ever have to use it as a combat weapon (which is the first purpose for all my weapons regardless) most of your targets are going to be within 100yrds. So I keep getting caught up there and second guessing my choices.

I think Elcan makes a scope that you can just hit a switch and it goes from x1 to 600 yrd range? But then I convince myself I am limited past 600yrds.

Pride Fowler also has some comparable scopes that do the same thing. Then I see posts from guys in Iraq/Afghan that insist you can put a ACOG for a 5.56 on the M1a, and still hit targets dead center at 800yrds.

So, basically I am still at a loss. Scopes are so damn expensive i only want to do it once, and prefer to have the option of putting it on other rifles should I increase my family. Let me know what you end up doing for sure.

There are so many choices/options to sift through with just Leupold Mark 4 scopes alone it will take me a while to choose but It may end up being something like this

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-4-lrt-riflescopes/mark-4-6-5-20x50mm-lrt-m1-illum-reticle/

or maybe the 8.5x-25x?....I still have a lot of agonizing ahead regarding magnification range and options

I want it to be something nice I could use on other rifles later if I want. (like a LWRC REPR ;)) Hehe

http://www.lwrci.com/p-120-repr.aspx

I am however going to move ahead with the Bassett scope mount. Here's a demo video of how easy it goes back on, supposedly within 1/2 moa of where you had it

It seems way more straight forward then the Sadlak mounting instructions

Later,

I am in the same boat as you....live in Kalifornia and just bought my 3rd m1a...its an older one with all usgi parts. I think I am going to try the bassett mount myself. People seem to love the leupold and ive heard a lot of good things about the super sniper. My biggest reservation is this: Do i really want to spend 1500 dollars on a scope/mount combo on a rifle that is going to shoot 2-3 MOA? I guess it just depends on what its being used for....for ringing the gongs at 800 yards at the range....I think will skimp a little on the scope and just buy more ammo, the rifle still rings the 600 yarders with iron sights, which is good enough for me. Right now I think I am considering a bushnell elite 3200

I am in the same boat as you....live in Kalifornia and just bought my 3rd m1a...its an older one with all usgi parts. I think I am going to try the bassett mount myself. People seem to love the leupold and ive heard a lot of good things about the super sniper. My biggest reservation is this: Do i really want to spend 1500 dollars on a scope/mount combo on a rifle that is going to shoot 2-3 MOA? I guess it just depends on what its being used for....for ringing the gongs at 800 yards at the range....I think will skimp a little on the scope and just buy more ammo, the rifle still rings the 600 yarders with iron sights, which is good enough for me. Right now I think I am considering a bushnell elite 3200

Yeah.... I've had the same thoughts about putting a high dollar scope on a 2-3 moa setup but I'm going to view it as a investment that I could enjoy now on the M1A and use on other platforms in the future and with my eyes getting close to being 49......magnification is my friend

Later,

Hey All,

I got a call from the gun shop that the guy that had beat me to the punch picking up the M1A "Loaded" model had backed out of the deal. I have now upgraded my purchase from the Standard to the Loaded with the stainless match barrel!

Later,

ahhh I love when stuff like that happens!!! Congrats Hookster. With a rifle like that....you wont need magnification to be your friend!!

Yeah, I'm definitely stoked on this one! It was hard to sleep last night!! I got an e-mail that the Bassett shipped out yesterday too!!......Life is Good!

Later,

Hookster :D

Edited by Hookster

Hey All,

I got a call from the gun shop that the guy that had beat me to the punch picking up the M1A "Loaded" model had backed out of the deal. I have now upgraded my purchase from the Standard to the Loaded with the stainless match barrel!

Later,

I guess that 10 day wait worked out in your favor! Congrats!

lets see!! i walk into the gun store here in tejas and say i want that gun, next i walk out with it!!;) F-CK those restrictive laws!! Ah Tejas, where guns are real guns and ya aint gotta wait 10 days.......

Si Senor Skeeter! Tejas es muy bueno!

El Hookestro :)