SOCOM 16 Range Report

Hookster

An M1a would bankrupt me with all of the things you can do to them!

.......and do things to them... I shall! :)

Yeah Madison....You got that one right! I'm already looking at a whole lot more spending to get it dialed in how I want.

I just ordered a bunch of different 168gr loads to see what it likes to eat best. My Troy tritium sights just arrived today too for my LMT MRP setup....Yea!

Btw...Welcome to the forum!

Later,

Hookster :)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which Troys did you get?

My MRP has been getting worked over as well lately.

4514129224_c50b1519b7.jpg

4513488499_c19b6336bf.jpg

Crappy photos, I know.

It's in the 22lr conversion in these photos. I think next week I'm going to send the 22lr barrel to ADCO to have it profiled down, cut to 14.5" and pin a PWS FSC556 in place. Overkill for a 22lr, I know.

Hey SD,

I picked up the tritium folding HK style front and the tritium folding rear (the regular style not the new DOA aperture)

I also recently picked up one of the Aimpoint flip up cover with the integrated flip up flash kill for the Socom-16

http://dynamicarmament.com/items/mounts-optics~scopes/aimpoint/aimpoint-m4-m4s-flip-open-lens-cover-w-Killflash-12462-aimpoint-m4-flip-open-ard-cover-front-12462-detail.htm

Later,

I put locktite on every screw on my weapons. They tend to shake loose if you shoot enough. I also use a grease pencil to mark the screws to whatever they're attached to. That way, I have a visual reference to if they're starting to back out.

It is the tall mount LaRue. Using a lower mount can cause issues with getting your face close enough to the top of the receiver. Plus, a lower mount would limit my ability to put a light on the 12 o'clock rail.

I have the Aimpoint dialed in at 50 yards. It shoots Point of Aim at around 200 yards also.

I've never sat down at a bench and tried for MOA groups. You can dump magazine after magazine in either 223 or 22lr at 50 yards into a tin can.

Hey Taylaboy!

From what I understand the gas system was shortened slightly and the system plug has a little more volume to help compensate. The muzzle brake also helps to provide some of the extra back pressure that is lost by shortening the barrel. The gas piston itself is identical and interchangable. I can probably give you more details next week after I pick up the M1A Loaded and compare the two :)

Later,

Function/reliability. I couldnt see SA putting a Lemon into production, but I guess he read a bunch of forums where people were warning each other about the difference. My assumption is that its just a web rumor that nobody really has proof of. Everyone I talked too that has a 16 loves it. He isnt an experienced shooter, and doesnt want to go for targets past 200yrds, so I told him dont even question himself. I knew you were about to have both sides of the spectrum to compare so figured I would ping you in case you ran into any performance issues. If you are buying another one.........my guess is thats a big fat NO. :)

The NO is indeed large and fat :)

I love the SOCOM-16 but if it makes his mind feel better to get a Scout or whatever, why not?

I think a lot of the SAI bashing is just because they are the biggest target with so many guns out there that of course there will be more problems reported with SAI rifles.

Later.

H:)Okster

Edited by Hookster

The NO is indeed large and fat :)

I love the SOCOM-16 but if it makes his mind feel better to get a Scout or whatever, why not?

I think a lot of the SAI bashing is just because they are the biggest target with so many guns out there that of course there will be more problems reported with SAI rifles.

Later.

H:)Okster

The main advantage of buying the scout over the socom is....it will save him another 1500 bucks or so..because once he has a socom he is gonna want a standard or two to everage out....if I were only gonna buy one...then maybe id go scout. But so far my socom has been nothing but reliable...actually even more reliable than one of my standards

The main advantage of buying the scout over the socom is....it will save him another 1500 bucks or so..because once he has a socom he is gonna want a standard or two to everage out....if I were only gonna buy one...then maybe id go scout. But so far my socom has been nothing but reliable...actually even more reliable than one of my standards

I totally agree tinman! If I really were going to have just one I'd get the Scout. But having the two ends of the spectum is the way to go! (16" & 22") But I may end up with a Scout as well Lol......We'll see......:)

I pick up my M1A Loaded tomorrow after work!

Can't Wait!!!!

Later,

4527927774_2439a55dcc.jpg

Green dot over the red Aimpoint dot at approximately 50 feet.

4527927854_bfc41eee04.jpg

Looks great SD! who makes your rail mounted FDE mounting ring? Where did you mount the laser switch? I got my Troys on this weekend. I'll get some updated LMT and M1A pics up later this week!

Later,

Hookster

Congrats Hookster!!!!! Thats an awesome rifle. Keep us posted on any of the Mod's you end up doing. Being a loaded version, I doubt you will need to do much. But you seem to have the obsession gene like myself, so I am sure there will be SOME minor mods :)

Strangerdanger, that weapon looks awesome. Never seen a green on red laze like that. Nice job buddy.

Tinman:

This guy wont listen to me. I tried to explain that a Scout is the perfect Middle Ground version ( I have one myself.) But He isnt interested in shooting anything that isnt 50 feet in front of him, so the SOCOM is exactly what he needs.

Heres my Baby. Meet "Gina"

P1160592.jpg

Congrats Hookster!!!!! Thats an awesome rifle. Keep us posted on any of the Mod's you end up doing. Being a loaded version, I doubt you will need to do much. But you seem to have the obsession gene like myself, so I am sure there will be SOME minor mods

Hey Taylaboy!

Yeah! I'm totally stoked :)

I'll be hitting the range with some Wjnchester 147gr and 4 different kinds of 168gr match ammo on Friday morning.

I'm close to ordering a scope. I'm thinking of a Nightforce 3.5x-15x 50mm.

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightforcescopes/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/3_5-15x50___3_5-15x56_/3_5-15x50___3_5-15x56_.html

but I haven't totally decided yet. I'm still trying to make a final decision on the magnification range that I want. Any thoughts?

This Loaded still may end up in a JAE stock in the long run

http://www.jae100.com/

I might make the LRB receiver build my Classic wood-stocked M1A.

I'll keep you posted.

Later,