SOCOM 16 Range Report

Hookster

picked her up last week....went to the range today...shooting 2 moa with

bad eyes and iron sights. Brought her home and shimmed the gas system

and added NM spring guide...see how she does next time

Picture374.jpg

Looking Good Tinman!

Is that one a build or a SA in a USGI stock?

Btw... I went a little crazy this weekend ordering accessories for the Leupold that I'm putting on the Loaded

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-4-lrt-riflescopes/mark-4-4-5-14x50mm-lrt-m1-illum-reticle/

I ordered the Mark 4 rings, the torque tool, 2.5" & 4" sun shades, neoprene scope cover, alumina intensifier filter set, lens pen and the mounting tool!

Can't wait to get that setup together

Later,

Hookster :)

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tinman,

Nice Rifle man. She looks very clean and mean for being almost 20 years old. Geeze. Nice Score!!

Thanks...I think i did score. I seriously think she had about 100 rounds through her. when i stripped her all apart to clean, most of the parts were still packed in cosmoline. No visible wear on anything. Couldnt find a brass chip anywhere in the action. Ran a patch through the barrel and it came out white as snow. Muzzle wear was just a hair above 0. TRW barrel, TRW trigger group, HR op rod, and old SA usgi bolt....I am a happy man. I think she just bumped my m4 off as my favorite firearm i own

Edited by tinman1975

did they name that facility "Cow Palace" after Nancy Pelowsi??

LMAO

Nice 7.62's guys... Im in the market for a trooper/loaded as well....

Obama bent me over though, so wating for the I R S to finish with me so I can go buy more guns to support our great countries economy :)

Thanks...I think i did score. I seriously think she had about 100 rounds through her. when i stripped her all apart to clean, most of the parts were still packed in cosmoline. No visible wear on anything. Couldnt find a brass chip anywhere in the action. Ran a patch through the barrel and it came out white as snow. Muzzle wear was just a hair above 0. TRW barrel, TRW trigger group, HR op rod, and old SA usgi bolt....I am a happy man. I think she just bumped my m4 off as my favorite firearm i own

You scored big-time tinman!!!!!! Congrats!

:)

Hey Fellow M1A/M14 guys!

I just scored a U.S. Optics scope to go on the M1A Loaded

1.8-10x w/Illuminated reticle

scored a Sadlak NM op spring guide rod and Sadlak piston too!

Pics soon!

Here's a pic of my pair

DSC00543.jpg

Edited by Hookster

Hey Skeeter,

I had a chance to fondle a couple JAE stocks at the gun show. Those things are gorgeous! They really exude quality. You are going to like 'em. The only downside is they are fairly heavy. I may pick one up next time for use some time in the future. I spent too much this go-round on the US Optics scope. I didn't like the OD green as much in person, I think I'll go with the coyote brown.

Later,

M4:

Is that a Socom you have mounted into that Stock? that looks bad ass.

Hookster, whats up with the Scope you got? Any details? You keeping that on the 16 and using the Mk4 on the loaded? Nice (cough cough) 20 rd (cough) mags :)

Hookster, whats up with the Scope you got? Any details? You keeping that on the 16 and using the Mk4 on the loaded? Nice (cough cough) 20 rd (cough) mags :)

Hey Taylaboy

There were no Leupold's to be found at the gun show But........I ended up walking out with a U.S. Optics scope I don't know if you are that familiar with them or not but US Optics are pretty much considered a step up quality wise above Leupold and Nightforce. The model I got is the SN-3s. It's a 1.8x-10x-37mm. Here's a pic from the US Optics page but mine has some options not shown on here

http://www.usoptics.com/product.php?partnumber=SN3-1002

As you can see, it's a little more low profile than the Leupold. The quality of the optics and coatings supposedly provides equal or better light transmission compared to a leupold 50mm. We shall see.....just looking through it everything does look brighter than it does to the naked eye. The reticle is illuminated (red) and looks like this

http://www.usoptics.com/upgradesD.php?recordID=RET-089

The reticle scaling is in Mils and the adjustment knob are in .10 mil adjustments. One of the options I have that isn't shown in the picture is the EREK elevation knob which is large diameter but very low profile so that all the elevation adjustment clicks you'd need between 100-1000 yrds are within one full revolution of the knob. The more I read about ranging with the scope, the more it seems like mil/mil is the way to go and eliminate the extra conversion to MOA clicks. The reticle on this one is in the first focal plane ( I believe all US Optics scopes are) so the reticle mil marks are accurate at any and all magnification settings.

Anyway.....I got it mounted up (I also got some US Optics rings) and I love it! Hopefully I'll hit the range Friday! I like the smaller profile proportions of it. The dealer will also be sending me a 2" sunshade and an ARD to go with it soon also.

I also picked up the two books I wanted ""The M14 Owners Guide and Match Conditioning" by Duff and "The M14 Complete Assembly Guide" by Kuleck as well as some Sadlak parts (NM spring guide and coated piston) as well as some 10/20 mags (10 rd capacity in 20 rd body) although 20 rounders are okay to possess as long as you had them in state before 2000.

I should be able to get some pics of the new scope mounted on the Loaded up tomorrow night.

Later,

A dealer at the gun show (Cow Palace, South San Francisco) who sells pretty much mags only, had a ton of them. He told me they were American made but I don't know who the company is and there are no markings on them. They fit fine and the quality seems okay. If I get more info on a source, I'll post it.

Later,

Hookster,

You have been one busy Bee my friend. You actually have piqued my interest with this US Optic's Scope. Please let me know how well it shoots for you at the different distances. I have a question though, it says the parralex is "Fixed." Could you elaborate a little on your experience adjusting the Mil's at different distances to compensate your point of impact when you have had the chance to play around? I am still up in the air regarding scopes. You got my attention with this thing.

I was just busting your chops about the Mag's. :D Did the guy who made them give you the option of being able to pull out the spring and making it a 20rd mag if you want? Seems like it would be an easy fix (if we didnt live in Kommifornia.)

Looking forward to your Range Report.

Hey Taylaboy,

The one I got has the parallex adjustment option which is on the front objective bell.

This one is closer to the options I got than the one they show on the site.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=210042

But here are some pics! The mount is a Bassett and the rings are U.S. Optics X-Low

Enjoy.......

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00579.jpg

DSC00576.jpg

DSC00580.jpg

I got a bore sighter and a ring alignment tool to help fine tune the ring adjustment (the rings adjust for windage by having a adjustable clamp section on both sides of the ring)

I may get a second walnut stock from Boyds that I would drill for a Karsten riser and leave this one the way it is.

If all goes well, I'll have it at the range this weekend

More Later,

Hookster

Edited by Hookster

Hookster........You make me proud buddy!! That looks awesome. How was installation of the Scope Mount? Pretty painless? The Sadlak install looks like a frigging nightmare. Let me know how it shoots for you this weekend. I am sure it will be pleasureable!!

Hookster........You make me proud buddy!! That looks awesome. How was installation of the Scope Mount? Pretty painless? The Sadlak install looks like a frigging nightmare. Let me know how it shoots for you this weekend. I am sure it will be pleasureable!!

There is nothing close to pain involved with the Bassett installation. It could not be easier. Here's a YouTube video that shows how easy it is

I've read the Sadlak installation instructions......Yeah!!! "Somewhat" more involved than the Bassett! :rolleyes:

I still haven't come across an unkind word about the Bassett by anyone who has used one but if I do have problems I'll probably move to the Sadlak titanium or airborne steel mount.

Later,

Hey Taylaboy,

I'm going to shim my gas system. I was wondering if you had any problems getting the gas cylinder off or back on correctly or any tips you want to pass on?

Is there any any advantage to getting a flash suppressor alignment tool to get the muzzle brake back on? I see them for sale but they don't even mention using one in The Complete Assembly Guide.

Thanks,

Hey Taylaboy,

I'm going to shim my gas system. I was wondering if you had any problems getting the gas cylinder off or back on correctly or any tips you want to pass on?

Is there any any advantage to getting a flash suppressor alignment tool to get the muzzle brake back on? I see them for sale but they don't even mention using one in The Complete Assembly Guide.

Thanks,

Hey hookster, I have shimmed all three of my M1A's and its pretty easy if you have any mechanical inclination at all. Few tips: I would buy a proper set of castle nut pliers....i bought a heavy duty set off gunbroker for like 20 bucks. Buy the gas cylinder wrench if you dont have a nice padded vice you can use. Dont forget that the front sight has a set screw for the castle nut in it....a lot of guys use gorilla grips trying to loosen the castle nut and forget to unscrew the set screw. If the castle nut is still tight....spray a little break free or something and let it soak the threads....you wanna finesse this a little, dont risk torquing your setup. Once you have the gas plug, the muzzle break and castle nut assembly,the gas lock, and the front band slid off the front of the barrel, the gas cylinder should slide right off. One of my rifles was a little tighter and took a single , soft tap with a plastic mallet and it slid right forward. After shimming, when you reassemble look at the hole the gas cylinder goes through in the front band....try to center the cylinder perfectly in the hole before you tighten things down...a small tap in either direction should get you where you need to be. And the most important step, if you dont want a loose muzzle break, after you tighten down the set screw into the little recess in the castle nut....back the castle nut counter clockwise ever so slightly so that it binds against the set screw and keeps it from unthreading itself inder vibrations. make sure you put the barreled action completely back in the stock with the trigger guard locked before tightening the gas plug back on. if you have any questions pm me and ill give ya my contact info.

Oh also, as far as supressor alignment tools, save your money. If I remember you have the california brake....which has a larger diameter hole reamed than the nice FS that everybody else gets to have....so it would have to be way out of alignment to cause an issue. But also a little tip......take a brand new # 2 pencil and put in softly into your barrel....it works fine in a pinch and saves you the 40-50 bucks on an alignment tool you dont need

And after you are all shimmed...make sure and check that your gas port hasnt been thrown too far out of alignment. Soflty insert a 1/16 allen wrench through the hole in the bottom of your gas cylinder....it should slide pretty easily all the way into the barrel....you should be able to look down the barrel and see the allen wrench has passed completely through the port

Edited by tinman1975