SOCOM 16 Range Report

Hookster

Hey Hookster,

My buddy got himself the socom16 I was telling you about. he will pick it up next week. I told him to get the gas cylinder wrench, and piston cleaner set from sadlak. My question is: Since the Gas System is a little different on the 16, does the combo tool/gas wrenches still fit the gas plug and cylinder carrier like it does all the standards? dumb question, but I just wanted to make sure I was giving sound advice.

Hows your hog shootin?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Hookster,

My buddy got himself the socom16 I was telling you about. he will pick it up next week. I told him to get the gas cylinder wrench, and piston cleaner set from sadlak. My question is: Since the Gas System is a little different on the 16, does the combo tool/gas wrenches still fit the gas plug and cylinder carrier like it does all the standards? dumb question, but I just wanted to make sure I was giving sound advice.

Hows your hog shootin?

Hey T-Boy,

Yeah....gas cylinder wrench and combo tool fit the Socom the same as standard M1A, No problem! :)

I'm hoping to hit the range in the morning tomorrow if the weather improves. The gas cylinder shimming went great and I also have the Sadlak TIN coated piston and NM Op spring guide in place. I'm looking forward to seeing what these mods will do to my groups sizes. I've got some Federal Gold Medal and Hornady Match 168 gr. that I'm going to break out too!

Later,

Hookster :)

Hi Tinman!

Yeah I'd seen postings on M14TFL that that was the current wait time :( No problem though, sometimes you got to wait for the good stuff. I've got plenty of stuff to stay busy with in the meantime. It will make for a long year though.

Hey...Did you get to shoot your newest M1A since you shimmed and added the NM spring guide?

Later,

Well its been long overdue.....but I finally got to go out shooting the newest m1a. I also added a new usgi gas piston, so im not sure exactly what changes helped the most, but my accuracy improved greatly. I was somewhat suprised to see that my poi had dropped about 4 MOA ofter the changes. It took me a while to get sighted back in. At 50 yards most of the holes were touching. The changes definately cut down on random flyers. I would say overall the few minor improvements shrunk my groups by prolly 25-30%. at 100 yards I was holding under 2 inch groups with the irons. The rifle shoots better than I can....so I cant ask for much more....maybe one day ill put a scope on her just to see what she is really capable of. Oh and that was with radway green surplus ammo

Well its been long overdue.....but I finally got to go out shooting the newest m1a. I also added a new usgi gas piston, so im not sure exactly what changes helped the most, but my accuracy improved greatly. I was somewhat suprised to see that my poi had dropped about 4 MOA ofter the changes. It took me a while to get sighted back in. At 50 yards most of the holes were touching. The changes definately cut down on random flyers. I would say overall the few minor improvements shrunk my groups by prolly 25-30%. at 100 yards I was holding under 2 inch groups with the irons. The rifle shoots better than I can....so I cant ask for much more....maybe one day ill put a scope on her just to see what she is really capable of. Oh and that was with radway green surplus ammo

Hey Tinman!

Sounds like you've got a real sweet shooter there! That is strange that your POI would drop 4 moa from the mods but it sounds like all is well after dialing in your irons. I didn't make it to the range this last weekend but things are looking good for next Saturday. I'm anxious to see the results from the mods I've made. I'll post results soon.

Take Care,

My POI changes after leaving the range sometimes too. Happens after minor mod's, or just because I was doing something different on the weapon. Different cheek weld or eye relief, etc. usually takes me a clip or two to figure out what it is I am doing wrong and adjust back without trying to play with the settings.

Hey Taylaboy,

I've got a leather National Match sling on the way from Turner Saddlery

http://prostores3.megawebservers.com/turnersling_com/-strse-10/National-Match-Service-Rifle/Detail.bok

Also, These cheek risers have been getting a lot of good feedback at M14TFL

http://tnvc.com/items/weapon_accessories/tnvc_rsp.html

They will be coming out with multiple colors and versions soon including one without the mag pocket. I like the flap with the clear widow for keeping ballistic data cards etc

Later,

Guest cleefurd
Hey Taylaboy,

I've got a leather National Match sling on the way from Turner Saddlery

http://prostores3.megawebservers.com/turnersling_com/-strse-10/National-Match-Service-Rifle/Detail.bok

Hey Hookster,

If you ever wear that sling out, and want something better;

http://www.slingsbyjhw.com/

After stretching out my sixth Turner sling, I was given a JHW sling to try back in 2004. It refuses to wear out. The way they are tanned, and the leather selection makes them indescribably awesome. Turner slings are nice, and look a little more refined, but the JHW sling never slips, same position holes rain or shine, and don't dry rot for some reason.

Also the 50" sling is short. Believe it or not the same positions for an M14 require longer slings on the M16, due to toe-to-sling swivel distance. For anyone over 6' you'll need a 54" sling in the low (diamond not cross-legged) sitting position. At times I even tried a 56" but went back to the 54" due to how stout the JHW was, giving much better overall support, which in turn helped my head position in the sitting stage. Hard to believe how much better your shooting position is after tweaking your leather. The JHW feels like a new Turner does even after years of use, while the Turner starts to feel flimsy half way through a season, and sometimes after the 1st rain.

Edited by cleefurd

Hi Kip,

Thanks for the recomendation on the JHW.

I'd checked out their site but didn't realize that there was such a difference quality wise. I had checked out the Les Tam slings too but didn't feel like waiting for 5 months for a sling.

I'll see how the Turner is length wise etc. (Turner had advised me 52" would be fine for me on an M1A, I'm about 5'10"/160 Lbs) then order a JHW so it'll be here ready to go when the Turner stretches out.

Later,

Guest cleefurd

BTW the natural oak tan is the one I was given, and a hands down favorite of the AMU/USMC teams when specified. He will be the first to tell you it may show cracks on the surface, but they don't affect performance. I never notice it and he provides a great balm for them that keeps them in great shape.

BTW the natural oak tan is the one I was given, and a hands down favorite of the AMU/USMC teams when specified. He will be the first to tell you it may show cracks on the surface, but they don't affect performance. I never notice it and he provides a great balm for them that keeps them in great shape.

Hey Kip,

Yeah! I definitely like the oak tan. I like that classic look with the wood stocked M14!

Later,

• 1 year later...

Hey Hookster,

Hows your 16 doing? werent you working on getting a full size M1a too? I just ordered my Sage EBR and it should be here in a few weeks (I got the Mod 0) I also got a new muzzle break from Battle Comp on its way. What was the scope mount you got again? I was looking at the Titanium Sadlak, but remembered you had a different selection that looked pretty solid, so I wanted to ask again. Hope you're good buddy.