shell selection

brandonk13

I'm currently trying to find shells that deliver dense patterns for waterfowl. I just bought a SBE 2 about a week ago now and I have tried Federal Speed-shok shells and am not a big fan. Does anyone have any suggestions for shells that deliver dense patterns with an IC or M choke so I don't have to go and spend a ton of money to find out?

I would recommend using Kent Fast Steel. You will have great results no matter which kind you choose and the price is low. Our Local bird dog/ gun club hated the Black Cloud in comparison to the much cheaper Kent Fast Steel...And they shoot a lot of every kind of bird you can imagine!

Happy Hunting! :D

No offense Mudhen, but Hevi-Metal is not worth it. If you want to bring home dinner get what I recommended you, even some Dark Cloud will do the trick. If you decide to use Black Cloud you should get a dedicated Black Cloud choke for best results (Like those made by Carlon's Chokes). Check this out if you are curious about Hevi-Metal...Name is cool, The results are not the best:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=102976

There are pros (keep in mind sponsorships) that say they get 97% pattern test results at 40 yards but I have yet to see a picture. If you buy #2 steel, half will be #2 steel while the other half will be #5 or #6 Tungsten. Its cost reducing but I would not say better IMO.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting! :D

Edited by tyson129

No offense Mudhen, but Hevi-Metal is not worth it. If you want to bring home dinner get what I recommended you, even some Dark Cloud will do the trick. If you decide to use Black Cloud you should get a dedicated Black Cloud choke for best results (Like those made by Carlon's Chokes). Check this out if you are curious about Hevi-Metal...Name is cool, The results are not the best:

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=102976

There are pros (keep in mind sponsorships) that say they get 97% pattern test results at 40 yards but I have yet to see a picture. If you buy #2 steel, half will be #2 steel while the other half will be #5 or #6 Tungsten. Its cost reducing but I would not say better IMO.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

None taken!

In a good year, I'll shoot 8-10 cases of shells, so I like to try as many different types as possible.

A good friend owns a pretty large gun shop, so I get decent prices on products.

Black Cloud is cool - I shot 2-3 cases last year. Good for longer ranges, no better or worse than any other steel at close ranges.

The Black Cloud chokes are fine, but I can clean my own chokes, thanks!

As to price, both are available for $189/case delivered, so that's a wash.

Hevi-Metal has worked great for me so far. Fast. Clean. Knocks down the birds just fine with about 1/2 the kick of Black Cloud. I've cut a few shells open, and the pellets look fine to me. Don't care what they use for buffer, flax seed, bird seed, I only care if the shell kills birds.

Maybe these guys from this morning have something to say about Hevi-Metal, including the banded one :D

ducks010.jpg

Edited by mudhen

Once again Mudhen no offense, this is just my Opinion, and I do not mean to put your suggestion down in any way.

Did you really find Kent Fast Steel to be that dirty? Which load were you using if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks in Advance and once again no Disrespect.

I've had no less than 6 duds from brand new Kent steel shells of various versions. I've had shells replaced by Kent more than once for manufacturing defects. I've had Kent shells stick in several different guns. They are filthy and will never be used in any of my guns unless they are the last brand of shell left, even then, I might give up hunting instead :)

Anything else?

I tried Kent Fasteel in a 3.5in. #4 earlier today at 40yds and counted 152 pellets in a 30in. circle and was pretty impressed. They were mostly uniform with the exception of the few (under 10) pellets that scattered. I made a stop at Cabelas last night for shells and I didn't look around enough to see any Dark Cloud shells. Are they expencive? Would it be worth looking into compaired to Kent Fasteel?

I've had no less than 6 duds from brand new Kent steel shells of various versions. I've had shells replaced by Kent more than once for manufacturing defects. I've had Kent shells stick in several different guns. They are filthy and will never be used in any of my guns unless they are the last brand of shell left, even then, I might give up hunting instead :)

Anything else?

Man that sucks, you must have gotten a bad run of them. I have never encountered any one of those problems and I have shot well over a thousand rounds through various guns, mostly Benelli but some Remingtons as well. Sorry that you had such bad luck with them. I have found them to be a great shotshell. I am in no way saying that they are the best..because they are not. But for the money and the results I have been very pleased.

Thanks for your feedback, very interesting to hear about the poor performance.

Many Thanks,

Tyson

I tried Kent Fasteel in a 3.5in. #4 earlier today at 40yds and counted 152 pellets in a 30in. circle and was pretty impressed. They were mostly uniform with the exception of the few (under 10) pellets that scattered. I made a stop at Cabelas last night for shells and I didn't look around enough to see any Dark Cloud shells. Are they expencive? Would it be worth looking into compaired to Kent Fasteel?

I am glad you tried it and enjoyed the results. It really is a great shotshell that is inexpensive. Black Cloud is Expensive, I believe it is about $1 a shot which at the end of a good waterfowl day can really add up!

Happy Hunting!:D

Anything else?

And No mudhen there is nothing else. I'm not the one in need of advice.

You know what the difference between a wise man and a fool?

A wise man can learn from the fool.

Sorry if I took up any of you valuable time....:rolleyes:

Sorry if I took up any of you valuable time....

No big deal at all :)

You do seem to question people more than most. And your style is not one I see often. I've never had anyone tell me what to use if I want to "bring home dinner" :D

"If you want to bring home dinner get what I recommended you".

I'll admit that I'm not a fan of bashing new items without that item even being given a chance to perform in the field.

Kinda like how the Vinci was bashed right out of the gate. I know many Vinci shooters that are very satisfied with their purchase.

Same thing for Hevi-Metal. It just came out and right off the bat, folks were bashing it. Again, I'll admit, that bothers me. To me, bashing without a foundation just defies logic and common decency. A few Internet Wizards pop a few shots at some cardboard, and presto, the shot is crap.

I'll just stick to doing my own homework as usual!

And No mudhen there is nothing else. I'm not the one in need of advice.

You know what the difference between a wise man and a fool?

A wise man can learn from the fool.

Sorry if I took up any of you valuable time....:rolleyes:

How does a limit of Spoonie's taste...........

Figured a wise man must know ;)

No big deal at all

You do seem to question people more than most. And your style is not one I see often. I've never had anyone tell me what to use if I want to "bring home dinner"

"If you want to bring home dinner get what I recommended you".

I'll admit that I'm not a fan of bashing new items without that item even being given a chance to perform in the field.

Kinda like how the Vinci was bashed right out of the gate. I know many Vinci shooters that are very satisfied with their purchase.

Same thing for Hevi-Metal. It just came out and right off the bat, folks were bashing it. Again, I'll admit, that bothers me. To me, bashing without a foundation just defies logic and common decency. A few Internet Wizards pop a few shots at some cardboard, and presto, the shot is crap.

I'll just stick to doing my own homework as usual!

Doing your own homework is something I have always encouraged. I am glad that you have found a shotshell that performs great out of your gun(s). I would love to see a pattern test if you get a chance, say 40 yards so that we can all benefit from your tests.

Thanks in advance if you do decide to contribute.

Until then, Rock On with your Hevi-Metal :)

Happy Hunting!:D

P.S.- When does the fingerprinting start for buying ammo in CA mudhen?

Pretty sure not until 2011, and for handgun ammo only. But, some rules start sooner. Pretty sure pistol magazines, speed loaders, handgun ammo, primers (maybe?), and some other items have to go behind the counter as of Jan 1, 2010.

If they only knew how much ammo is going to get bought before that time :D

Pretty sure not until 2011, and for handgun ammo only. But, some rules start sooner. Pretty sure pistol magazines, speed loaders, handgun ammo, primers (maybe?), and some other items have to go behind the counter as of Jan 1, 2010.

If they only knew how much ammo is going to get bought before that time :D

HAHA Right :)