Cooking Canadian Goose

Tadeusz

try the breasts in a crocpot with chicken broth and whatever else you may want to add for flavoring be it onions, celery, carrots, ect. I like an ***** or two sliced in there. It slow cooks the meat and the chicken broth makes it not as dry. It's still a little tough, but I think its pretty good.

I personally soak it over night in salt water and then for a couple hours in italian salade dressing and a little hot sauce(if you like that). Then i cut it up into approx 1 in squares and wrap each square with bacon. Then fry it with the folded side down either in a frying pan or on the bbq either one works. You are going to want to serve it medium rare as it gets pretty tough you cook it any more then that.

I personally soak it over night in salt water and then for a couple hours in italian salade dressing and a little hot sauce(if you like that). Then i cut it up into approx 1 in squares and wrap each square with bacon. Then fry it with the folded side down either in a frying pan or on the bbq either one works. You are going to want to serve it medium rare as it gets pretty tough you cook it any more then that.

Wife cooked one last thanksgiving in a baking bag with dry onion soup mix a cup of water potatoes and carrots about an hour and 15 mins at 325. Folks ate it before the turkey.Son who killed it was late he missed getting any.

The taste of duck and goose is what has forced many to quite hunting them. I personally hate eating it but love hunting them. I usually give it all away.:)

Strange that you hate the taste yet your name is Goose2...? Figured if you had enough love for them to have it be your screen name that you would love every aspect about them.

I myself eat what I harvest....until it comes to predators....I won't eat Coyote :D

Just yanking your chain bro so don't get heated please.

I am an owner/partner of a commercial goose hunting club (Mazonia Hunt Club) in Central Illinois. I have a couple of simple recipes for goose that puts it in the gourmet category. Depending on what your taste preference is as far as "gamey" or mild. Cut in one inch chunks and marinade in Kikoman's Terriaki Marinade in refrigerator overnight. Remove from the marinade and wrap with bacon and one water chestnut held in place with a toothpick through the combination. Cook on your BBQ grill until the toothpick starts to char. Remove and savor the flavor!

Lately i've been using a meat jaccarder (or a tenderizer). You can find it at any cooking store to tenderize the meat, price range from $10-$50. It's a series of about 40 tiny blades that you push through the meat and it breaks up the strands and can flatten the goose or duck breast to make it easier to cook, depending on how hard you push the jaccarder through. I usually clean up the meat, jaccard the breasts then throw them in the marinade. The holes in the meat allow the seasoning/marinate to soak into the meat. After marinating right before grilling i'll lightly jaccard them again pushing some of the marinade through into the meat. trust me, IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE!! Give it a try, i work at a steakhouse and we jaccard all of our steaks, that's where i got the idea from.

Second idea for a marinate, during the holidays Sierra Mist has a cranberry splash flavor. I tried using that as a marinade with a carolina seasoning the other day...it has a sweet flavor but very very good. I'm sure you could also just use sprite and cranberry etc.

Somebody let me know how it works!