gun camo

mlschiestel

I have a stoeger p350 max advantage 12g shotgun. I have just started hunting and bought this shotgun because and at the time all i really wanted to shoot was waterfowl. However this spring i will be turkey hunting and i would like to start hunting deer next year and i was wondering if the duck blind camo will be good enough to hunt or will i need to get maybe a shotgun with realtree? Any feedback would be appreciated

The camo you have will be fine. Movement is the key. Animals are not going to have the ability to look over and say "Hey, this is an Oak Ridge, those Cat-tails and brown grass don't belong here" They will go about their business, and as long as you can be still, and not draw attention to yourself, you will be fine. People hunt with all black guns, stainless steel, guns with gold inlays and everything else. They just know how to use the natural cover of the forest to disguise themselves.

I really like MODB - I think it will work fine in most situations.

I disagree to some extent that camo makes no difference. I spend a fair amount of money & time on hunting trips. I don't want to risk a game opportunity because someone on the Internet said I didn't need this or that. I prefer to find out for myself and let the animals in the field decide what I need or don't need.

I've had hens within 6" from the end of my camo gun barrel and not react in any way. I'm waiting for the 'peck' that will probably happen someday. Close up hens have brought me many a tom :) I've layed out in a Texas field in 12" of grass, prone with gun ready, waiting for a flock of 50 birds to feed into range.

I don't honestly believe that if I were not camo'ed head to toe, and shooting a fully camo'ed gun, I would get as many chances as I do.

Now I hunt many different states in many types of different cover. If I only hunted in dense cover, my opinion might be different. But I have to be prepared for whatever hand the hunt deals me.

Now, if someone else wants to pay for all my hunts and gear and time, then I would probably try other methods. But until that happens, I'm going to stick with what has worked for me in the field :D

I really like MODB - I think it will work fine in most situations.

I disagree to some extent that camo makes no difference. I spend a fair amount of money & time on hunting trips. I don't want to risk a game opportunity because someone on the Internet said I didn't need this or that. I prefer to find out for myself and let the animals in the field decide what I need or don't need.

I've had hens within 6" from the end of my camo gun barrel and not react in any way. I'm waiting for the 'peck' that will probably happen someday. Close up hens have brought me many a tom :) I've layed out in a Texas field in 12" of grass, prone with gun ready, waiting for a flock of 50 birds to feed into range.

I don't honestly believe that if I were not camo'ed head to toe, and shooting a fully camo'ed gun, I would get as many chances as I do.

Now I hunt many different states in many types of different cover. If I only hunted in dense cover, my opinion might be different. But I have to be prepared for whatever hand the hunt deals me.

Now, if someone else wants to pay for all my hunts and gear and time, then I would probably try other methods. But until that happens, I'm going to stick with what has worked for me in the field :D

Amen to that brother!

Not arguing with anyone, but humans killed wild game for centuries before Realtree came along. :cool:

Yes, and humans killed animals using box canyons and poison darts too :)

No offense intended, but I think the old 'my grandpappy kilt animals with a blunderbuss' is maybe one of the lamest statements around. It just doesn't have any relevance to today's world in my opinion. It's a tired and stale position that resolves nothing.

But that's just me.....

I agree with you 100% on this one. If I'm turkey hunting in complete camo, as you need to be, given the choice, why would you not have a camo'd gun. If all you have is a shiny wood and blued gun, make the best of it. Many do. But given the choice, mine would be camo'd. I realize that I'm preaching to the choir here, but that is my 2 cents worth.

I agree with you 100% on this one. If I'm turkey hunting in complete camo, as you need to be, given the choice, why would you not have a camo'd gun. If all you have is a shiny wood and blued gun, make the best of it. Many do. But given the choice, mine would be camo'd. I realize that I'm preaching to the choir here, but that is my 2 cents worth.

I could not agree more...why go all the way and stop short with your weapon...you know the one that is about a yard long! That Gun could be hot pink and you could kill a Turkey but with Camo you will kill even the most educated ones...Not the yearlings unless that is what you are into.

Go Camo because like they say "if a Turkey could smell like a deer they would be impossible to hunt". That should be a clue that their other senses are unbelievable!

Good luck with your choice! Can't Wait to Welcome you to the Benelli Family!:D

*clears throat* okay.. the max4 hd camo is FINE! its just the break up that blends you into your surroundings. As long as it isnt orange and pink stripes i believe you will be okay. It is your movement that counts. Stay still, not everything in the woods is brown and green. Turkeys know that just as we do. Just becuase it doesnt say timber on it doesnt mean you cant use it around trees. Its acamo patter to help your break up among "natural" objects. Some camo claim to be better than others and that might be the case when talking about blending with your surroundings, but its more about pattern of camo instead of color in my opinion. but if you are worried about color just think about the woods you live in. If you hunt thick cedars then you may want to think about your break up, but dead grass, hay, sandstone,corn stalks,etc are the same color as your waterfowl camo. you will be fine.

*clears throat* okay.. the max4 hd camo is FINE! its just the break up that blends you into your surroundings. As long as it isnt orange and pink stripes i believe you will be okay. It is your movement that counts. Stay still, not everything in the woods is brown and green. Turkeys know that just as we do. Just becuase it doesnt say timber on it doesnt mean you cant use it around trees. Its acamo patter to help your break up among "natural" objects. Some camo claim to be better than others and that might be the case when talking about blending with your surroundings, but its more about pattern of camo instead of color in my opinion. but if you are worried about color just think about the woods you live in. If you hunt thick cedars then you may want to think about your break up, but dead grass, hay, sandstone,corn stalks,etc are the same color as your waterfowl camo. you will be fine.

Thank you.

The original question was if his existing gun would be suitable to hunt turkeys or deer with. The existing gun IS camo. There was just confusion on if the Advantage Max4 pattern would make a big enough difference in the outcome of the hunt to justify using a complete different gun, or putting another pattern on it.

well i would like to thank everyone for their responses as i'm sure it wasn't the greatest question but again i do appreciate you all taking the time to help me out. I think i probibly should be more worried about how my gun shoots then what it looks like but i was really worried because of how tricky i hear turkeys are to get. I think the only thing i am going to need is just some more experience with hunting to truly to decide things for myself. Again thanks for the responses

Thank you.

The original question was if his existing gun would be suitable to hunt turkeys or deer with. The existing gun IS camo. There was just confusion on if the Advantage Max4 pattern would make a big enough difference in the outcome of the hunt to justify using a complete different gun, or putting another pattern on it.

Then you added:

"People hunt with all black guns, stainless steel, guns with gold inlays and everything else."

Hence my reply :)

Some can't take an answer for what it is, they have to edit out bits to make their point valid.

The trend on this board in particular, is to wait for others to try and help someone, and then come in and pick apart the answers provided, through the use of quotes and such. Flaming and bantering soon follow, and the original question then takes a backseat.

Some can't take an answer for what it is, they have to edit out bits to make their point valid.

The trend on this board in particular, is to wait for others to try and help someone, and then come in and pick apart the answers provided, through the use of quotes and such. Flaming and bantering soon follow, and the original question then takes a backseat.

You hit that nail on the head Chad. Too bad that is how it really is around here. Still I feel comfortable on this Forum, until the SnEaKeR SPamMeRs ATTACK!!!!!:)

Hey, give those cheap Nikee Jordons a try! They are the real secret behind my fortune in the woods:p

There is a lot of good info available on here. Everyone gets along pretty well, it just seems to get a bit crazy in any thread that has to do with turkeys, from time to time.

I'll bet that if Remington had a Forum, it would make this one look like Sunday School. Benelli shooters have passion, but Remington fans have an unbelievable amount of charactors from every corner of the Earth. I would most def. like to see that board created:)

Hey, give those cheap Nikee Jordons a try! They are the real secret behind my fortune in the woods

There is a lot of good info available on here. Everyone gets along pretty well, it just seems to get a bit crazy in any thread that has to do with turkeys, from time to time.

I'll bet that if Remington had a Forum, it would make this one look like Sunday School. Benelli shooters have passion, but Remington fans have an unbelievable amount of charactors from every corner of the Earth. I would most def. like to see that board created

HAHAHA! Nothing Like Remington Country!!! :D

Die Hards since their Grand Pappys ;)