New USA Magazine arrived today

zee10103

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New USA M4 Magazine arrived today. Have scans @ my home page. Do not know how to transfer to the Thread. Freedom Fightertactical.com Sure is nice.:)

"Mild Steel" ? Meh. For just $20 more I would have gotten SOCOMguy's good steel tube, or for $40 more, Titanium alloy from kip. Mild-steel tubes can be had for $60 or so elsewhere.

Do you know what Rockwell B 84-87 equates to on the NORMAL Rockwell scale? (Rockwell "C") It is a 3 to 6. That's right. Barrel-steel is usually 28-40 (1911 pistols are around 40, stainless varmint-guns are around 28-32, and AR-15 CMV is usually mid 30's...and your magazine-tube is likely no greater than...6.). This tube is in the same league of hardness probably as a steel Wolf shell-casing.

Kip's tube= 24 Rockwell hardness

Reference: http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MTA321

SOCOMguy's tube= 28-35

Reference: http://www.emjmetals.com/pdf/bluebook-h.pdf

Your tube: 3-6

Reference: http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-hardness.htm

Your Benelli M4's reciever is "Ergal" (or 7075) aluminum alloy, with a hardness of RC-6. However, this is BEFORE anodizing, so don't fear for your threads/abrasion upon installing one of the "harder" tubes. Aluminum anodizing is usually 60 or higher on the RC scale, but remember this is just a surface treatment mainly meant to prevent abrasion, not impact damage (evidenced by ejected-shell dinging). We know that ejected casings brass heads handily dent this reciever upon ejection around the port. Ergo, I state that dinging you mag-tube of the same hardness, given it's necessarily thin walls, would be very easy to do, and could result in a jam at the worst possible time as the follower/shells would not be able to travel past the dented portion if the dent were significant at all.

M4 reciever hardness:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/alloycat.cfm?alloy=7075

Edited by Unobtanium

way too much time spent worrying about tube strength here!! most members of this site dont rely on their m4 to save their life everyday for a living. so truly weight dont mean sh-t. heck i bet most on this site are lucky if they get to shoot twice a month. not to mention they sure dont put enough rounds thru their weekend warrior m4's to even wear out a cheap mild steel tube.;) good purchase though ZEE!!:)

Edited by texas skeeter
text

way too much time spent worrying about tube strength here!! most members of this site dont rely on their m4 to save their life everyday for a living. so truly weight dont mean sh-t. heck i bet most on this site are lucky if they get to shoot twice a month. not to mention they sure dont put enough rounds thru their weekend warrior m4's to even wear out a cheap mild steel tube.good purchase though ZEE!!

That is like saying "I normally don't floor my Ferrari, so I just run 87* gas in it."

Either way, it is a nice looking tube, I just feel that Zee could have gotten a nicer one for the same or less $$ and I felt that I should outline the reasons why I felt that way. If you can't say what you've got to say with numbers, you don't have much to say. :cool:

One can NEVER worry too much about tube strength :p

Dented tubes are no fun. However, the reduced weight of Kips is more valuable than the strength. The M4 is heavy as is, any reduction in weight is money well spent.

+1, I didn't even MENTION weight in my comparisons, only that the OP's tube is as easly, or more easily dented than aluminum.

Obviously, quite a number of M4 owners are adding the full-length tubes that the M4 was designed for - but isn't there some concern about legalities? What if the owner's M4 was used to protect the family and a LEO noticed the full-length magazine tube? Or what if, in this scenario of the M4 being used to protect a family and the perp was wounded and sues the person because the M4 did not meet BATF standards?

Yep--I want an extended tube, but the legal concerns override the practical concerns...

MikeSp

Obviously, quite a number of M4 owners are adding the full-length tubes that the M4 was designed for - but isn't there some concern about legalities? What if the owner's M4 was used to protect the family and a LEO noticed the full-length magazine tube? Or what if, in this scenario of the M4 being used to protect a family and the perp was wounded and sues the person because the M4 did not meet BATF standards?

Yep--I want an extended tube, but the legal concerns override the practical concerns...

MikeSp

I don't think it would be an issue as 922r CLEARLY states the ACT of modification is what is illegal, not the modification itself. So, while the gun MAY be confiscated (who cares, your life > gun), you can claim that you purchased it in that configuration from another, or a friend did it, or whatever. It would be up to the state to then prove that there is "reasonable doubt" that you did not do it yourself. Very difficult. I would NOT want to take that case as a prosecutor (which I am not, I have not studied law, please correspond with your attorney in this matter).

Another thing, who's to say you can't swap mag tubes back in a few minutes? Just don't get retarded with the lok-tite.

Also, we have a bazillion threads dedicated to this supposed problem, lets not turn this thread into another.

If you shoot a perp with the M4 and he's still kicking, you're doing it wrong. Or you're a retard using birdshot in a defense gun.

In a few months, you'll be able to grab Mesa's shortened LOP stock, one of these aftermarket tubes and a magazine follower. All parts made in the good ol USA. 922 no longer applies due to meeting the BATF&E's retarded foreign made parts count. Then no one will have to hear about this stupid ass law that has never been enforced.

That is like saying "I normally don't floor my Ferrari, so I just run 87* gas in it."

Either way, it is a nice looking tube, I just feel that Zee could have gotten a nicer one for the same or less $$ and I felt that I should outline the reasons why I felt that way. If you can't say what you've got to say with numbers, you don't have much to say. :cool:

One can NEVER worry too much about tube strength :p

i didnt quote ya UNO till now. and wasnt in any way trying to negate your helpful info. and your ferrari analogy was a poor one and not the same. but still love ya man!! all im trying to say is, it makes me chuckle w/ everyone making a big deal out of these tubes. the cheap basic steal is just fine and 99% of the people on this site will never out shoot a cheap mag tube or notice any difference between the two. im just telling it how it is, and obviously it didnt need much numbers to get my point across. i myself use the benelli 2rd ext. so if i have to protect the family god forbid, i can quickly/easily put the plug back in. and i truly wasnt trying to call you out.

i didnt quote ya UNO till now. and wasnt in any way trying to negate your helpful info. and your ferrari analogy was a poor one and not the same. but still love ya man!! all im trying to say is, it makes me chuckle w/ everyone making a big deal out of these tubes. the cheap basic steal is just fine and 99% of the people on this site will never out shoot a cheap mag tube or notice any difference between the two. im just telling it how it is, and obviously it didnt need much numbers to get my point across. i myself use the benelli 2rd ext. so if i have to protect the family god forbid, i can quickly/easily put the plug back in. and i truly wasnt trying to call you out.

Meh, I still feel that buying a $1500 shotgun and then screwing a $139 tube into the reciever instead of a $189 tube that is superior, is pointless, from an economical standpoint. Will it be okay for range-use? Sure! I guess I just think differently. If 2 nails will do, I use 5.

Man, I can not believe I started another 922r. Who did, and who did not Thread. My M4 is just a once in a while shooter. I have owned it now for @ least 2 months, and not fired a shot yet. My prefered House intruder is HK53, or MP5. Both are short with plenty of rounds for those Zombies.

Man, I can not believe I started another 922r. Who did, and who did not Thread. My M4 is just a once in a while shooter. I have owned it now for @ least 2 months, and not fired a shot yet. My prefered House intruder is HK53, or MP5. Both are short with plenty of rounds for those Zombies.

Neither can I, especially with so many others on the first 2 pages of this forum.

From my understanding you can get away with the ext tube if you were to install a regular stock and get rid of the pistol grip. At least that's what people in the republic of cali are doing to avoid problems.

THANK GOD!!! i moved out of that STUPID state 2 yrs ago!!!:D i wish all the poor saps that choose to remain living there the best!! after all said and done, no more whining from anyone from CRAZIFORNIA!!! as they can always move!!!;)

If you violates 922r he will eatz yoo!

ab5dw9.jpg

Whoa...hold the bus! Is that an extended magazine I see on that class 4 disruptor? Any weapon that can be readily converted to a non-sporting purpose (blasting womp rats and humans is considered a sporting purpose for this rule) is subject to rule 922(φ). You will need to replace the flux capacitor and two other parts with USA(Earth) made parts to be in compliance.

Remember; gravitational compression bombs don't kill people, the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal does!

Whoa...hold the bus! Is that an extended magazine I see on that class 4 disruptor? Any weapon that can be readily converted to a non-sporting purpose (blasting womp rats and humans is considered a sporting purpose for this rule) is subject to rule 922(φ). You will need to replace the flux capacitor and two other parts with USA(Earth) made parts to be in compliance.

Remember; gravitational compression bombs don't kill people, the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal does!

and to think i hated the whole trekkie thing back in the day!!:D

I my defence, MSRP $199.95. Chrome Molly Tube construction. I tested the strength of the Tube. I drove my Ford 2000 Tractor over it two times. Not even a scratch. This Mag is as strong as schedule 40 galvanized pipe.

The tube you linked us to in your OP was $139, Mild steel, and in general, had all the atributes of a cheap zinc-coated deck-nail.