New USA Magazine arrived today

zee10103

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about that. I have pounded in 16 Penney deck nails in my deck 35 years ago, and still hold strong after being subjected to all the harsh elements in Florida. I am sure your Titanium Nails would not last but 3 years.

Hrmmm...and none of these 16 penney nails bent upon hammering, no? If not, props to the carpenter who hammered them...

I always pre-drill my holes. Hey, can you send me a scan of this industrial Mag tube? And where I can purchase one. For my own safety I should have this one sitting on my Table Saw, and sell the Black tube @ my Gunbroker Page. Not sure if the colour will go well with my Table Saw. I do like the Black appearance.

I always pre-drill my holes. Hey, can you send me a scan of this industrial Mag tube? And where I can purchase one. For my own safety I should have this one sitting on my Table Saw, and sell the Black tube @ my Gunbroker Page. Not sure if the colour will go well with my Table Saw. I do like the Black appearance.

You pre-drill the hole the nail goes into? I have NEVER heard of that practice. Then again, wood-working is not my forte.

No not @ all. The Tube was $50.00 off List Price. So that led me to believe I purchased a Quality Product. Well They sent me a Free White "T" Shirt with their Logos. So figure I did OK. Yes I am into Wood Working Projects. I am a Face Book Member with the same User ID. I put up scans of most of my Projects.

No not @ all. The Tube was $50.00 off List Price. So that led me to believe I purchased a Quality Product. Well They sent me a Free White "T" Shirt with their Logos. So figure I did OK. Yes I am into Wood Working Projects. I am a Face Book Member with the same User ID. I put up scans of most of my Projects.

Cool about the FB/woodworking.

Thing is, you linked us to a tube: "This magazine tube is made with 12L14 mild steel"-link from your OP, and later in the thread, you claim "Chrome Molly Tube construction"-taken from your post on page 3. Definitely not the same tube.

Edited by Unobtanium

freedomfightertactical.com

This magazine tube is made with 12L14 mild steel, heat treated to a Rockwell B 84-87.

That is what that site says about the tube. Rockwell B scale is for soft metals like aluminum. Your tube is a Rockwell "C" of 3-6. Your aluminum reciever is about a 7 and it dings easily from shell-ejection. There is NO mention of "chrome molly" as you stated. In fact, the steel referenced is 12L14. This is a "carbon" steel, and often is called "lead steel" because it is so soft. It is normally used for parts involving bending, crimping, or riveting such as in bushings, inserts, couplings, and hose fittings.

http://www.jprosock.com/materials-steel.html

The fact that it is soft and easy to machine (at a rockwell of 3-6, it won't wear cutting tools out for a LONG time) makes it appealing to machinists looking to make a product that costs them very little. It is easy to machine and cheap to produce.

Basically, it is soft, ductile, and causes very little wear-tear on cutting tools and thus has a high profit-margin as a finished product.

Guest cleefurd

I'm confused. Why use free machining steel over a stronger alloy, at the expense of strength, when the added cost of the "L" type steel negates the money saved on tooling in this application? Typically from my experience "L" type steels are preferable where much milling and contouring is done, but of little advantage where predominately linear facets are engaged.

I spend between 10-18 times more on raw materials, with higher tooling costs, slower machine feed rates, and I have a MUCH lower profit margin. Why??? Because a Warrant Officer in Iraq was tired of being robbed by vendors who seemed to believe Benelli owners LIKED paying more. He knew me and my ethics, and he asked me to charge him what I would charge anyone else. I sold him my 1st Titanium tube for $190. Guess I ripped him off by a dollar... chalk that up to proto-typing fees.

Skeeter has me scratching my head. The Ferrari analogy works for me. The cheap gas will run that car... but for how long... and during that journey will it fail with a shop in sight, or mid-July in the Mojave desert. Wouldn't a reliable Mossberg be better than an M4 with a potential achilles heel?

Edited by cleefurd

I'm confused. Why use free machining steel over a stronger alloy, at the expense of strength, when the added cost of the "L" type steel negates the money saved on tooling in this application? Typically from my experience "L" type steels are preferable where much milling and contouring is done, but of little advantage where predominately linear facets are engaged.

I spend between 10-18 times more on raw materials, with higher tooling costs, slower machine feed rates, and I have a MUCH lower profit margin. Why??? Because a Warrant Officer in Iraq was tired of being robbed by vendors who seemed to believe Benelli owners LIKED paying more. He knew me and my ethics, and he asked me to charge him what I would charge anyone else. I sold him my 1st Titanium tube for $190. Guess I ripped him off by a dollar... chalk that up to proto-typing fees.

Skeeter has me scratching my head. The Ferrari analogy works for me. The cheap gas will run that car... but for how long... and during that journey will it fail with a shop in sight, or mid-July in the Mojave desert. Wouldn't a reliable Mossberg be better than an M4 with a potential achilles heel?

so your telling me the average weekend warrior here that actually shoots their m4 MAYBE once a month, has a GOOD chance for their 60$$ mag tube to create an issue of failure??? BULLSH-T!!!!:rolleyes: the odds are very slim due to the fact they are closet queens!!!:o now for a serious shooter or an LEO,militry etc. person who would honestly shoot their m4 alot more and use it to protect their life for work, yes i can see the more expensive better made tube a nescessity.

Texas Skeeetr, You are the Man with the plan. it is my belief some Members have this ego and desire to confuse others with their Earthly elements. Save the Planet, Recycle. Please leave Titanium in the Ground. I can under stand purefiction, but please it is just a Firearm. If you did not have a back up Weapon, well that is your fault.

so your telling me the average weekend warrior here that actually shoots their m4 MAYBE once a month, has a GOOD chance for their 60$$ mag tube to create an issue of failure??? BULLSH-T!!!!:rolleyes: the odds are very slim due to the fact they are closet queens!!!:o now for a serious shooter or an LEO,militry etc. person who would honestly shoot their m4 alot more and use it to protect their life for work, yes i can see the more expensive better made tube a nescessity.

So you are telling me that someone who buys an M4 instead of something cheaper didn't buy the M4 because it was more robust or more capable, but sees it only as a toy with no serious capability for hard usage?

Guest cleefurd
Texas Skeeetr, You are the Man with the plan. it is my belief some Members have this ego and desire to confuse others with their Earthly elements. Save the Planet, Recycle. Please leave Titanium in the Ground. I can under stand purefiction, but please it is just a Firearm. If you did not have a back up Weapon, well that is your fault.

Back-up weapons are contingencies, just like any other plan. Well thought out and well executed. That's all I'm offering.

If the terms "durable","rust-proof" and "Light-weight" are confusing and ego-centric to you or others... I apologize.

If leaving the paltry amounts of specific metals I consume in the ground would save the planet, please forward those statistics to me via PM and I will seriously consider the error of my ways.

Edited by cleefurd

Guest cleefurd

Nope. I never said anything had a GOOD chance of occuring. I mentioned a journey, the life of the gun, eluding to the increased probability of failure due to corrosion and or dents being a "possible" achilles heel of significantly softer mild ferrous based steel. No "BS" in that I hope. The price one pays to effect increased capacity is always worth what he/she will justify, commensurate with their own expectations and needs. I have seen barricades at 3 gun matches dent mild steel tubes, and they are now take-offs in my shop. Two from the same customer in fact, who posted his lament here on another post nearly a year ago. The tube he bought to remedy the issue has never failed, under the same conditions. No BS, no stressing the point. Only an alternative for the end user's consideration.

Edited by cleefurd

So you are telling me that someone who buys an M4 instead of something cheaper didn't buy the M4 because it was more robust or more capable, but sees it only as a toy with no serious capability for hard usage?

come on UNO, i never claimed the m4 to be a toy.:rolleyes: all i said was most people buy it cause its the best and hardly get a chance to shoot it. and that some guys will claim "you have to get a bizanium/kryptonite tube cause all the others will fail" is B.S.;) most all the 60$ tubes will work just fine on this weapon. i dont have a cheaper made tube on mine, if i was to get one it would be kips. but i dont want one. its funny, guys buy the m4 and then cant afford much accessories thus the 60$ tube.

Edited by texas skeeter

come on UNO, i never claimed the m4 to be a toy.:rolleyes: all i said was most people buy it cause its the best and hardly get a chance to shoot it. and that some guys will claim "you have to get a bizanium/kryptonite tube cause all the others will fail" is B.S.;) most all the 60$ tubes will work just fine on this weapon. i dont have a cheaper made tube on mine, if i was to get one it would be kips. but i dont want one. its funny, guys buy the m4 and then cant afford much accessories thus the 60$ tube.

If you buy it because it's the best, why install crap parts? A weapon is a SYSTEM. A group of parts working as a whole. It is only as good as its weakest critical part, which the magazine is by any definition. Ergo, you have turned "the best" into something cheap and shoddy by installing a low-budget critical part.

One does not install $39.99 brake-pads on a Porsche.

Titanium is always bonded to other elements in nature. It is the ninth-most abundant element in the Earth's crust (0.63% by mass)[25] and the seventh-most abundant metal.
The world has a mass of 6,600,000,000,000,000,000,000 tons. x 2000 = 13,200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 pounds. x 16 = 211,200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ounces. Given that is the amount of ounces the world weighs, we now use the .63% figure for the scant amount of Titanium on the planet.

We get 1,330,560,000,000,000,000,000,000 ounces of Titanium.

The tubes weigh in at 5.5 ounces each.

If Kip makes 241,920,000,000,000,000,000,000 magazine tubes, the world will be out of Titanium!!! Alert Obama!

At 189 dollars, Kip will have a revenue of $45,722,880,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 dollars.

Edited by StrangerDanger
Math FAIL