Recoil pad fell off SBE II

sodakfop

So here I am on hunt #4 with my new SBE 2 when I noticed that the recoil pad is gone. This was not a hard hunt, no tall grass, no thick reeds, this should not have gotten knocked off. Both local gun shops tell me this is not uncommon and carry them for $80.00. On October 22, I call Benelli to inquire why parts are falling off an $1500.00 gun, and they tell me this is a result of a bad batch. They will send me a new one. I need to rub some pubbing alcohol on it and this will make it sticky and the new one WON'T FALL OFF. I am still waiting so I called today November 2. I was told that the good news was that I was in the system, the bad news was that nothing had shipped yet. Apparently they are going to "TRY" to get it shipped today. I am just thinking, "Hmmm, i never had parts fall off my $300.00 Remington 870, apparently the price tag does not mean quality. Wish I would have bought the Super X3."

I told a friend about this yesterday. I was tellinghim about my hunt this weekend with my 10 year old 870 that has worked everytime without parts falling off. He told me a story about his Minnkota trolling motor that quit working at the Lake of the Woods on vacation. He called the company and they overnighted a new motor. It was in his cabin by the next day. He sent the old one back when he got home. He will NEVER have anything but a Minnkota for that reason.

I have 3 boys that are starting to hunt, as I start to look for guns for them, I will have to consider not only the durability and quality but customer service as well.

Not that common anymore, but it was back in 2005-06 when the SBE II first came out. Many were told by Benelli CS that some undersized pads were inadvertantly used, and they were subject to falling out. Everyone I talked to that had a problem with the pad, got new ones and were ok with that.

Do a search here, you won't see many complaints recently.

If you are that unhappy about a lost recoil pad, I think you should get the new pad from Benelli, sell the gun, and buy the SX3 that it sounds like you wanted instead :)

Btw, my Browning Silver, a clone of the SX3, broke on it's 3rd hunt and most of the DuraTouch and camo finish wore off after just a few hunts :D Had to buy new parts to keep the gun running until the free part showed up. Called Browning CS about the finish, and they said to pound sand.

Too bad Browning doesn't have a website that I could have gone to and blasted them.

I have an SX2, no duratouch issues but some do as I have heard. The SX3 is a sweet gun, been an easy choice for me over the SBEII but to each their own.

Worse things could happen than a lost recoil pad, consider it a fluke get the pad replaced use the gun.

I write a complaint on a $1500.00 shotgun that has $80.00 parts that fall off. You are obviously right that I have no right to go to a Benelli website and complain about my Benelli shotgun. What was I thinking? To express a complaint about a specific gun and the makers customer service on their website and forum. :rolleyes:

Listen man,

I'm sorry you had a bad first experience with your SBEII, but it happens from time to time, regardless of the price of the gun.

The 870's one heck of a reliable firearm, but you and I both know that there's somebody out there somewhere who has had one fall apart on day one.

They're probably not a big fan of the product either.

Like mudlips said, the recoil pad issue is a pretty old deal.

I'd check the year of manufacture on that one and see if the dealer gave you a stale one.

It could simply be a matter of the thing not being properly installed from the factory, or it could be that someone at the gun store was showing a customer how it pops out, and they didn't get it all the way back in.

Who knows?

I've never had to put pubbing alcohol ;), or even rubbing alcohol on mine, and never had a problem.

Here's your bottom line.

You have one of the best shotguns made, at any price.

You just happened to have a bit of bad luck out of the gate.

It is a fact that Benelli will make it right, but it may take a few days.

This is one area where I think Benelli could capitalize and beat the competition hands down.

To me, this should be a dealer serviceable issue.

No different than if you just bought a new GMC truck and the left headlight doesn't work.

You don't call Detroit... (or the white house :o), you call the dealer, and they fix it.

Small stuff like this should be the same kind of thing with new guns.

Tucker

I really have liked the SBE II, I do like the gun. And yes you are correct that an 870 could come apart as well. The fact that bugs me is that I call Benelli because my local dealer says that is "normal" and there is nothing they can do. Benelli says they know it is an issue, and they will take care of it. 11 days later it still has not left the factory.

I have less of a problem with the fact that the gun itself has a flaw than the customer service sending out a part during an already short season. You are right this should have been taken care of by the shop where it was purchased, but they did not and Benelli did not appear to be surprised.

And Cody I have never taken this off. I hunted with it, walked through grass right to the waters edge. I have no idea how this came loose. My concern is that the next one will do the same.

Tucker

I really have liked the SBE II, I do like the gun. And yes you are correct that an 870 could come apart as well. The fact that bugs me is that I call Benelli because my local dealer says that is "normal" and there is nothing they can do. Benelli says they know it is an issue, and they will take care of it. 11 days later it still has not left the factory.

I have less of a problem with the fact that the gun itself has a flaw than the customer service sending out a part during an already short season. You are right this should have been taken care of by the shop where it was purchased, but they did not and Benelli did not appear to be surprised.

And Cody I have never taken this off. I hunted with it, walked through grass right to the waters edge. I have no idea how this came loose. My concern is that the next one will do the same.

What I would have done is buy a $40 limbsaver which is a better recoil pad and be done with it. I have heard of many people with bad experience with Winchester CS so I doubt you will like there service much better. I agree Benelli does need to improve their CS because they will not reply to emails and it takes a long time to send a gun back to get it fixed.

[QUOTE=sodakfop;118065]

I was simply saying that the batch of undersized ones don't take much more than a set of eyes to remove they fall off that easy. When you get one that fits you will know what I mean because they are on damn good.

By no means was I saying you did anything wrong to make it fall off. Although the way in which you brought it up might be a bit extreme **** if I had an extra pad laying around I would give it to you but I don't.

I spoke with customer service again today, and they told me the gel pad has shipped out. I should have it soon. I took a couple of phone calls but I should be back in business this weekend.

Just curious if they told you anything (trick) to keep it from falling off again. Mine is not that snug....I usually take it off regularily to clean so I may have caused the problem. I got a limbsaver for it but I actually like the factory pad better.

jed

I agree with trapshooter. Replace the pad with a Limbsaver. A much better pad and the company stands behind its product. Limbsaver CS has been excellent. I have Benelli gel pads in all three LOP that I will sell you including the one that came off of my new SBEII (its the 14" LOP pad since Benelli extended the length of the SBEII stock in 2008). Replacing the Benelli pad on my SBEII makes shooting 3.5" steel only slightly scary rather than terrifying. I also replaced the Benelli pad on my 20ga SuperSport with a LimbSaver speed pad and I love it.

Just curious if they told you anything (trick) to keep it from falling off again. Mine is not that snug....I usually take it off regularily to clean so I may have caused the problem. I got a limbsaver for it but I actually like the factory pad better.

jed

They said to clean the pad and gun with rubbing alcohol and that would make the pad sticky. That is supposed to keep it from falling off.

Oh and I got it today.

They said to clean the pad and gun with rubbing alcohol and that would make the pad sticky. That is supposed to keep it from falling off.

Oh and I got it today.

Pretty sure the pad comes with some sort of lube on it. Mine did. Cleaning the pad removes the lube, I don't think it makes the pad 'sticky', but I certainly could be wrong. I have several of the gel pads, and wiping with alcohol has not made any of them sticky.

Tucker

I love the small gun stores but with most that I have bought guns from, when you leave the store it's your problem. I have to give Bass Pro a plug, They stuck by me through some major issues with benelli. It all worked out and now all is fine. Good luck.

Kinda OT, but who all makes pads for the SBEII? I have an X-coil I like for my SBEI, but I don't think they make an adapter for the II.

Thx

Edit, how does a limbsaver fit on the SBEII? I haven't taken the pad on my SBEII off in a while, but I don't remember any places for screws inside of it.

Edited by Drundel

With an annoying adapter plate :mad:

I like the slip fit pad, so the Sims is of little use to me....

What does the LS+plate change to the LOP? I have short arms and the 14" pad works great for me.

I just read your post form '06 about the pad. Sounds like there is no good alternative to the Benelli one yet.

Edited by Drundel

What does the LS+plate change to the LOP? I have short arms and the 14" pad works great for me.

I just read your post form '06 about the pad. Sounds like there is no good alternative to the Benelli one yet.

The adapter plate goes inside the stock and does not add anything to the LOP. The screws draw the plate tight.

The pad works great once on, that's not the issue, it's just a hassle to take on and off for cleaning and/or drying off, and the adapter is plastic and can't take too many of these on & offs before the screw holes are stripped out....

Pretty sure the pad comes with some sort of lube on it. Mine did. Cleaning the pad removes the lube, I don't think it makes the pad 'sticky', but I certainly could be wrong. I have several of the gel pads, and wiping with alcohol has not made any of them sticky.

I do not know mudhen, but that is what Benelli customer service told me to do. 2 different reps same instructions.