Length of Pull Adjustment - Synthetic SBE

toddcady

I'm interested in purchasing a SBE in 28", primarily for waterfowling. I want the Synthetic stock for the amount of inclement weather it will have to resist.

My concern is that the synthetic stock (standard at 14.25") will be difficult to fit to my 13.25" Length of Pull.

Has anyone sized the buttstock for someone whose Length of Pull is shorter than the standard? What's involved, is it an easy cut? Solid material or honeycomb? Do I buy my gunsmith a package of WeldBond?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Todd Cady

[ 11-25-2003, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: toddcady ]

Contacted an exceptional individual who had the knowledge and expertise to give me an answer.

Here's a partial quote:

"The SBE only comes in one length (14.25") the stock can be cut down by a gunsmith. The stock is hollow and requires a wood block to be contoured to fit inside the bottom of the stock and glued in place to give the bottom recoil pad screw something to bite into. You will also have to put an aftermarket pad on it because once it is shortened the stock pad will no longer fit. "

Thanks for the help!

T.

• 5 weeks later...

Toddcaddy, did you try to shorten the length of pull on your sbe?

i would like to try it and i think that i can , i just don't want to regret it...

i have a 20ga. side by side that has a trigger length of pull of 13-5/8" and i can shoot very quick to the shoulder, with no hang-ups on clothing, now my sbe i get it caught on my jacket all the time and it seems like the birds are a long ways out when i do finally get on them... i really want to shorten the stock!!!! let me know your thoughts on the idea?

Originally posted by onthebrink:

Toddcaddy, did you try to shorten the length of pull on your sbe?

T--- not yet.

i would like to try it and i think that i can , i just don't want to regret it...

i have a 20ga. side by side that has a trigger length of pull of 13-5/8" and i can shoot very quick to the shoulder, with no hang-ups on clothing, now my sbe i get it caught on my jacket all the time and it seems like the birds are a long ways out when i do finally get on them... i really want to shorten the stock!!!! let me know your thoughts on the idea?

After much discussion and planning, here's what my Gunsmith told me he'd do:

Carefully measure twice, maybe 3 times. Hacksaw the stock to the final length I want (accounting for the Pachmayer Decelerator pad I'll have installed).

Cut, carve and shape a piece of walnut to fit fairly tightly inside the cavity of the synthetic buttstock. Glue walnut into the cavity.

Grind and fit the recoil pad to the new buttstock length, drill the walnut insert for the recoil pad screws, fit and finish.

Hope that helps.

T.

toddcaddy, so it doesn't sound like you have performed this yet? are you scared? i am ,,,, i don't want to mess up my spendy sbe, it took me way to long to save up for the gun... i am going to think about it a little bit longer and wait till crow season is over then maybe i will do the surgery???//