Benelli Vinci Shooting Too High - Help!

AJ_SD

Hello Everyone,

I have a Benelli Vinci and it's shooting 8 inches high at 21 yards with a modified choke. I really love the gun and don't mind working with it, but this is an irritating problem to say the least for an upland game hunter.

All the shotguns I own shoot exactly where I point them - and after 25 years I'm not sure I want to re-learn. I thought this Vinci was being promoted as a field gun, in my opinion it's shooting like a trap gun. I've tried several different shells and the best pattern by far is the Fiocchi, however it still shoots too high.

I played with the shims... I currently have the "CDX" shim in there and it helped the most. The shim that came installed in the gun was shooting 11 inches too high. I'm not sure what else I can do with this gun to lower the point of impact, I'm hoping some of you might have some suggestions, I'm willing to play with it for a while I suppose. I read elsewhere that maybe a taller hi vis type sight might help me.

That's it for now, hope to hear some promising news.

I had the same problem with my Vinci, although not as bad. Mine delivered about 80% over my point of aim. I put the thickest shim in before I even shot the gun, knowing that I need all the drop I can get. It was also too high for my liking. I ordered a Nova bead from Brownells. They are bigger in diameter, and will lower the point of impact. I ended up putting a Champion Easy Hit sight on the Vinci, and it worked out perfectly for me. Plus it is fiber optic and really gets your attention. If you are shimmed with the thickest shim, the next move is to get a larger front sight. The Nova sight at Brownells is around $10, The Easy Hit is $20 and available at Cabelas or most anywhere. Get the 3mm, not the 2.5mm. I have a problem with shotguns that shot high. They have to shoot where I am pointing. Too many years of hunting with guns that did. A personal thing I guess...GOOD LUCK...

Optic. Put an optic on it. ;)

Seriously though, I think the custom shim would be the way to go. A bird gun is meant to be lively, natural, and fit the shooter like an extension of their own body. If it won't do that with a factory shim, get one that will. Correcting POI with a different sight is just a band-aid for a poorly "fitted" weapon imho.

hognutz, thanks for the info, I'm glad I found someone that has experienced the frustration, LOL.

Question: at this point are you using the Easy Hit Site exclusively and not the Nova bed? Or, are you using both sights? Just want to be sure I move in the right direction with this. Does your Vinci now shoot exactly where you point it, and what is your pattern like? Is your gun shooting where you point it with your Modified and Improved Cylinder Chokes?

And for the other comments, I have to tell you, my father passed away ten years ago, he was a machinist for 40 years, he would have made me a shim easily. I have to agree, the shim is the way to go if it would work. Does the shim just need to be thicker on top only? I do have the thickest shim in there now. I asked Benelli if they had more shims for the gun and they said NO.

Let me know!

I use the Easy Hit sight only. It brought my pattern down to where it needed to be. The Nova sight is a tad bigger, more obtrusive, and does not glow like the Easy Hit. I have the Easy Hit on an SBE ll and really like it. I hunt with the mod. choke and that is the choke that I patterned the gun with. I have not shot the imp. Cyl. The mod. choke shoots about 60% above point of aim. I can live with that. Now as far as a thicker shim goes. I am not sure how thick you can go with a custom shim, because the barrel screws on at that point. If it gets too thick you may have problems with the barrel going on. Not sure, but it looks like it could be a potential problem. If I were you, I would try the Easy hit. When you get it, electrical tape it on your rib and try it. That way if it does not work for you, it is not wrecked. If it does work, then you can glue it on as instructed. I agree to a point that it is the fit that creates the problem. But, you can only go so low with the drop. When my cheek is where it is supposed to be, and the gun shoots high, time for plan "B". I guess most trapshooters like the high shooting gun as do some wingshooters, Not this old coot. Because you do shoot them like it is an extension of you arm, they need to shoot where I point. Period. Believe me I can smell what your steppin' in!!! Good luck and let me know how it turns out... Mike

Hognutz, thanks for the good advice. I ordered the Easy Hit earlier today so I'll be playing with it soon - good tip about the electrical tape! How high was your gun shooting before you installed the Easy Hit? I would have thought the Nova bead would have lowered your point of impact more than the Easy Hit no? When you say your Vinci is throwing 60% of the pattern high, are you floating the target above the bead, or are you putting the bead right in the center of the target?

How long have you been shooting your gun, are you getting accustomed to the way it shoots, is it feeling like it's an extension of your arm? LOL, I can tell that you were frustrated with your gun, I'm glad you got it dialed-in! I think I shoot as you do, the gun needs to shoot where I point it, 25 years of shooting like that, it would take me time to re-learn.

I haven't shot trap in ten years, after a few boxes I started to figured the Vinci out, I was getting 23 out of 25 shots which I thought was ok. All pumped-up I went for a Valley Quail hunt and I was missing easy shots. LOL, its like you said and in addition to that I think my memory in my muscles are dialed in to my other gun!

Looking forward to your response.

I do not float the target. I put the bead right where I intend to hit.The Nova bead will lower the POI even more, but in my case, it was not needed. I've had the Vinci about 3 months and have about 1000 rounds through it. All trap loads of different varieties. No problems whatsoever! When you shoot one way for that long, it is near impossible to shoot a fast flushing bird any other way than instinctively. You don't have time to think which gun am I hunting with and where in the **** do I have to aim to kill this thing. I hunt grouse in heavy timber. Flush, point, shoot. No time to think, just react... It is imperative that it shoots where I point it. Hope the Easy Hit works for you. Let me know how it works out.

Thanks for taking the time to respond again. Just have one more question and I'll get out of your life :) Does the front Nova sight just screw in to the Vinci? I think I found the Nova sight, unfortunately there is no pic! Is this the one? My Vinci might be shooting higher than yours, therefore I want to see what's involved with the Nova sight if the Easy Hit doesn't work for me.

Agree with you on the fast flushing-birds, sometimes when I hit those Quails I wonder how in the heck I got them. Flush - boom-boom!

That looks like the bead you are looking for. The Nova sight screws in clockwise, then obviously the original comes out counter- clockwise. A small adjustable wrench or pliers will work, just don't go nuts with it.There may be a dab of Loctite on the sight on the Vinci so it may be a little tight at first. If you do use the Nova sight, put a dab of blue or green Loctite on it. Also if you re-insert the original sight , Loctite it again. I put the Easy hit behind the original Vinci bead. Looks o.k. to me. Again, I hope this works for you and let me know how it turns out. If you don't have blue loctite, you may want to order a small amount from Brownells along with the bead. It is a good thing to keep around for scope mounting etc. Good luck and stay in touch...Mike

Thanks again for the info. Go run into the kitchen and tell your wife that you're a man of great detail!! JA JA. She what she tells you, LOL! Ok... well I'll certainly let you know how things workout. I'm going to try the Easy Hit first, hopefully that will do the job.

1000 rounds is a good amount of testing, you should be getting somewhat comfortable with the Vinci. What shell is giving you the best pattern for upland?

I tested the Remington Dove and Quail fields loads (7 1/2), the Winchester Super X Game Load (7 1/2) and the Fiocchi White Rhino (7 1/2).

The Fiocchi shell is a target load but i think it would work fine for dove and quail. It's 1250 FPS. The Fiocchi clearly had the best pattern, very dense, Winchester was second, not nearly as good, and the Remington were last - and the Remington shot to the left a bit as well. I've used those Remington's for 20 years and have killed thousands of birds with them, I was surprised, they really don't pattern well out of the Vinci. I'll probably try to find a good field load in Fiocchi and hunt with them.

Cheers and thanks again!!

Will the Nova bead work on an M2?

jed

I'm sure it will work on the M2. I don't own one so I don't know what size is standard on them. The Nova sight is larger than any that I've seen on any other Benelli, so it will lower POI. on any gun that has a smaller style bead. I'm sure that the threads are the same, but not positive... I can't imagine them using different threads on the M2. Hope this helps...

Ok, I received the Champion Easy Hit! I installed the sight right up against the existing Vinci Bead and held in firmly in place with some electrical tape from a marine store! I went to the indoor range today and shot at some targets at 21 yards to look at the point of impact and pattern. With the Easy Hit installed and me putting the sight right on the target, I was getting about 90% of the pattern above my point of aim - this is actually quite an improvement.

My next test was to float the target just ever so slightly above the Easy Hit - bingo I was dead nuts on! I would say I'm as close to a 50/50 pattern as I've ever seen with any gun I've shot. As far as floating the target above the Easy Hit, I can probably live with that, and believe that's acceptable, but I don't think I'm going to stop at that point. For giggles I went out to the trap field and shot two rounds and I did just fine, I only missed a few per round. The funny thing about me and Trap is I don't really use any sight at all, it's completely instinctual where I point that gun, I really don't think about what I'm doing, I just swing the gun and shoot.

I'll go ahead and order the Nova Sight and see how that will work for me, unless you have a different suggestion?

Here is my questions to you. With the Nova Sight installed, how much more do you think it's going to lower my point of impact?

The Easy hit worked for you, but it seems I need more help. I really like that fiber optic site, I'm wondering if I could build up some height on the rib and put the Easy Hit on top of that, or somehow maybe try a larger fiber optic sight?

Well, that's it for now, looking forward to your response.

The Nova bead will lower the POI, but how much I really don't know. The Easy hit is a great sight and it is hard to miss it when you pull the gun up. I see no reason why you couldn't put an 1/8" shim under the Easy Hit, tape it back on and try it. You may only need 1/16". Trial and error. I would find some stainless steel shim though and some good epoxy. Shim the entire length of the sight. Make sure it is right before you epoxy it on, and don't epoxy over the existing bead threads, if you have removed it. I would leave the old sight on and put the Easy Hit directly behind the original. A larger fiber optic would work, but they are hard to find. Most are just magnetic. At least you have it where you can shoot it. Worst case scenario is you leave it where it's at. Sounds like you can adapt. Let me know how it shakes out... Mike

• 2 months later...

Thanks to all those that posted their issues and solutions. It help me with my high shooting Vinci.

Here's my story...

I got my Vinci on 1/2/2010. I've done two POI patterning sessions.

My Vinci has a "Point of Impact" (POI) 9" inches high at a 40 yard target using #2 steel waterfowl loads. Pellet counting calculated to a pattern of 75/25.

I shot from a stable platform. Used both the Benelli IM choke and a Trulock PH IM choke - results were the same with both. The "Point of Aim" (POA) for my POI testing and calculations was the center of the bead with the vent-rib straight and level, front and rear edges lined up, mid-bead dead center of muzzle bead.

As most know, "Point of Impact" (POI) pattering determine where the gun shoots and no amount of shimming or gun-fitting can change the gun's POI. Where shimming and gun-fitting come into play is to change the shooter's "Point of Aim" (POA). A shooter's POA can be adjusted so that the relationship between POI and POA is where the shooter desires.

I have sucessfully compensated for my Vinic's high POI with a combination of shimming (C-shim) and with a HiViz sight. The bead on the magnetically attached HiViz sight is much higher (relatively speaking) than the factory muzzle bead. Both of these adjustments raise my POA so that this new POA is almost exactly pointing at the guns POI. My pattern with these adjustments is about 55/45, which is acceptable.

Other than my Vinci having a high POI, it excels in all other factors that I consider important to me as a waterfowl hunter.

How much does my Vinci's high POI matter? (even though I compensated for it). I must admit I'm a bit disappointed having to have a $10 piece of plastic magnetically stuck to the end of my $1400 gun to make it usable for my hunting needs. If I do keep the Vinci long-term I'll get a permanent replacement bead (the magnetic will move on you if you hit tules and such).

Keep in mind that this is an issue with my particular Vinci and my specific preferences. If my Vinci shot an acceptable POI, I would be totally satisfied.

I enjoy my Vinci, and will finish out the season with it. After the season I'll decide if I'm going to keep it. I'll speak with customer service, but I've heard their response is going to be that Benelli's are "designed to shoot high", and my 75/25 POI is probably within their specifications (unfortunately its not within mine).

Thanks to all those that posted their issues and solutions. It help me with my high shooting Vinci.

Here's my story...

I got my Vinci on 1/2/2010. I've done two POI patterning sessions.

My Vinci has a "Point of Impact" (POI) 9" inches high at a 40 yard target using #2 steel waterfowl loads. Pellet counting calculated to a pattern of 75/25.

I shot from a stable platform. Used both the Benelli IM choke and a Trulock PH IM choke - results were the same with both. The "Point of Aim" (POA) for my POI testing and calculations was the center of the bead with the vent-rib straight and level, front and rear edges lined up, mid-bead dead center of muzzle bead.

As most know, "Point of Impact" (POI) pattering determine where the gun shoots and no amount of shimming or gun-fitting can change the gun's POI. Where shimming and gun-fitting come into play is to change the shooter's "Point of Aim" (POA). A shooter's POA can be adjusted so that the relationship between POI and POA is where the shooter desires.

I have sucessfully compensated for my Vinic's high POI with a combination of shimming (C-shim) and with a HiViz sight. The bead on the magnetically attached HiViz sight is much higher (relatively speaking) than the factory muzzle bead. Both of these adjustments raise my POA so that this new POA is almost exactly pointing at the guns POI. My pattern with these adjustments is about 55/45, which is acceptable.

Other than my Vinci having a high POI, it excels in all other factors that I consider important to me as a waterfowl hunter.

How much does my Vinci's high POI matter? (even though I compensated for it). I must admit I'm a bit disappointed having to have a $10 piece of plastic magnetically stuck to the end of my $1400 gun to make it usable for my hunting needs. If I do keep the Vinci long-term I'll get a permanent replacement bead (the magnetic will move on you if you hit tules and such).

Keep in mind that this is an issue with my particular Vinci and my specific preferences. If my Vinci shot an acceptable POI, I would be totally satisfied.

I enjoy my Vinci, and will finish out the season with it. After the season I'll decide if I'm going to keep it. I'll speak with customer service, but I've heard their response is going to be that Benelli's are "designed to shoot high", and my 75/25 POI is probably within their specifications (unfortunately its not within mine).

Glad that it worked out for you. I wish that my Vinci would have been made to shoot lower, then the shooter could de-shim, to raise the POI to his desire. I enjoy my Vinci as well, but it's kind of like ''Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play''! Oh well. Good luck.

Hey, thanks for the taking the time to post that about your Vinci!

I agree with you, it's a great gun in many ways, its just a shame, for me anyway, that the thing shoots too high. Benelli markets the Vinci as a hunting shotgun, not a trap gun, I think if some of us knew it would shoot unacceptably high we might have looked at other options for shotguns!

I've spent months playing around with my Vinci, I think I have it at a 50/50 pattern now! If you don't like the Cabelas hi viz magnetic site, try the bead that comes on the Benelli Nova. The Nova bead is taller than the stock Vinci bead, I bet that might work for you, its worth a shot and more of a permanent solution. In my case, I had to shim my Vinci even more than the "C Shim" to get it to work, but the magnetic site and the Nova site pretty much produced the same results for me as far as POI.

Let me know if you try the Nova bead. And one other thing, even though I have the gun shooting ok for me, I'm not doing all that well with it, I've had some good days, but I consistently miss easy shots on Valley Quails and this is NEVER the case with my previous pump shotgun. I'm not 100% comfortable with it and I question myself for keeping the gun. :) I might practice with the Vinci and try next season, see how it goes in the field. I want to keep the gun, I think the engineering on it is great, but eventually you get tired of missing in the field and your confidence level goes down the toilet. LOL, and another thing I noticed - once you go from pump to auto loader, you can't go back to pump easily, you forget to pump the damn shotgun and the bird is gone and sticking his tongue out at you!

Take care, let me know how it goes boss!

i was either told or read that shot placement should be 60/40 (60% high) but that seems a bit odd? does this have any truth to it or should it be 50/50 or even more dead on point

I guess that depends on what you are used to. I like the 50/50 pattern. A lot of guys here like their guns to shoot high. Pattern it when you get it and see where it shoots. The POI can be adjusted, to a certain degree, with the shims that are included with the Vinci. Good luck...

• 10 years later...
On 1/19/2010 at 8:54 PM, AJ_SD said:

Hey, thanks for the taking the time to post that about your Vinci!

I agree with you, it's a great gun in many ways, its just a shame, for me anyway, that the thing shoots too high. Benelli markets the Vinci as a hunting shotgun, not a trap gun, I think if some of us knew it would shoot unacceptably high we might have looked at other options for shotguns!

I've spent months playing around with my Vinci, I think I have it at a 50/50 pattern now! If you don't like the Cabelas hi viz magnetic site, try the bead that comes on the Benelli Nova. The Nova bead is taller than the stock Vinci bead, I bet that might work for you, its worth a shot and more of a permanent solution. In my case, I had to shim my Vinci even more than the "C Shim" to get it to work, but the magnetic site and the Nova site pretty much produced the same results for me as far as POI.

Let me know if you try the Nova bead. And one other thing, even though I have the gun shooting ok for me, I'm not doing all that well with it, I've had some good days, but I consistently miss easy shots on Valley Quails and this is NEVER the case with my previous pump shotgun. I'm not 100% comfortable with it and I question myself for keeping the gun. :) I might practice with the Vinci and try next season, see how it goes in the field. I want to keep the gun, I think the engineering on it is great, but eventually you get tired of missing in the field and your confidence level goes down the toilet. LOL, and another thing I noticed - once you go from pump to auto loader, you can't go back to pump easily, you forget to pump the damn shotgun and the bird is gone and sticking his tongue out at you!

Take care, let me know how it goes boss!

Hello I know I am 10 years late to the party but, I have bought a used bennelli vinici and I have also struggled with the gun shooting high. I have the thickest shim in (c) and I replaced the original bead with the Nova bead. It did bring my pattern down a little bit , but not enough it's still 4-6 inches high. I noticed in your post you put a thicker shim then the c shim to help correct this issue . How and where did you get the thicker shim. I would like to try this option and appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance for any advice