Disappointed with Benelli rep.

duckht183

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 18" barrel, full length mag tube, and ghost ring sights... that has had at least 250 shells ranging from 3" magnum slugs to reduced recoil buck shot, to practice with low brass #8 bird shot, and that gun has never even thought about malfunctioning. Of course, my gun, like all of my firearms, is cleaned spotlessly after every use.

I don't even know what the "click" is... something tells me it might be the sound you hear when you squeeze the trigger on a bolt that isn't fully closed, but I always let the gun work the way it was designed to -- I let the bolt go and let the recoil spring do the job it was designed to do.

I love my Benelli and there isn't a shotgun out there I would trade it for. The Ferrari of shot guns.

I think you nailed it. My Benelli dealer said one problem they noted was some people would ride the bolt down instead of letting it slam. I know when I was shooting skeet with my friend (who has the SBE with click problem), he did not ride it down. Sometimes after the bolt locked into place, it would just click when he pulled the trigger. It did it with me as well. I'm sure it was an easy fix, he just didn't want to spend the time on it. Also, he had SBE I so the problem may have been totally fixed.

jed

I'm not sure I can comprehend the contradiction: BPS vs. Benelli. Much like purchasing maintenance for your Ferrari at a Wal-Mart, the two just do NOT belong in the same sentence together.

While in most cases I would agree with you, I don't think it's the case everywhere. There are many people who work behind the counter at BassPro, Dicks Sporting Goods, etc., who have a passion for firearms and the shooting/hunting sports. I know this, because I am one of them. I work part-time at a Dicks Sporting Goods here in Massachusetts. I am known as "the gun guy" and I am kept busy...I work with people who are also passionate about their areas - one being a bow guru, another a whiz-bang with tackle and another who is an avid deer hunter. It was not always that way. As a customer, I would often become frustrated with the lack of customer service and a nearly non-existent knowledge base when it came to firearms and ammunition...As an employee, I am a little more cognizant about the inner reasons for the "lack" at many stores. In all cases, I offer the following advice to buyers: Dicks Sporting Goods is not a gun shop - it's a gun department in a sporting goods store. While I am behind the counter, I try to make it feel that way and I offer services to customers unavailable at most DSG locations, (as witnessed by the pile of guns and phone messages that waits for me when I arrive). They even give out my schedule to people who call looking for me...Not everyone who works at BPS or DGS is an idiot...I can generally walk circles around most when it comes to firearms - which is a good thing. I get amused by the surprise when a rightfully skeptical customer approaches the counter and I actually know what I'm talking about... ;)

As to my Benelli rep, I have to give a shout out to Mike Pestilli. He is based in Connecticut and I recently had the pleasure in meeting and speaking with him. I was clocked out and had forgotten my water bottle. Mike was leaning up against the counter - seemingly looking for some help, (my replacement is not the greatest in that area and was out smoking). I asked if he needed any help and he introduced himself. I put my things down and we chewed the fat for a good 45-minutes. We talked about the MR1 rifle, the Vinci, M4, the SuperNova Tactical and Benelli's acquisition of Stoeger, Franchi, Uberti etc.. Mike was open and responded well to concerns about some QC issues across the line. He was patient, well spoken and knowledgeable about nearly everything under the Benelli umbrella. He offered to E-mail me a ProForm and did so immediately after he returned home. I filled it out and faxed it to him the next day. Less than a week later, my Benelli SuperNova Tactical was waiting for me when I punched in...Mike Pestilli is top shelf...So is Benelli...

Together, I bet we could fill some boats and truck beds with god's little creatures....

I don't need you for that! :p

I was wondering when the payback would come. Glad to see you haven't lost a step there, my friend.

I was thinking about you the other day.

A buddy of mine is making turkey calls, and he's wanting to promote them a bit.

I'll try and see if I can get him to send you one to take for a spin and give some feedback on it.

He's doing glass, slate, and aluminum.

I'll send a PM for the shipping info. if I can talk him into it.

I have seen bad sporting goods reps and I have seen awful people behind the counters at Dicks, Bass Pro, Cabelas, and other emporiums. In the first case, which is relatively rare, the person just had an attitude because he was a rep and you - well, weren't. In the latter case, most of these people not only don;t know what they are talking about, but don't know they don't know, which is worse yet. This is true not only of gun counters but fishing and all the other sports specialties.

You out this guy in a corner in front of a whole bunch of customers, basically without warning. Were you trying to show how much you know, or how little he did? Well, you got your wish - neither of you knew much.

As for the many comments about "for $1500 I should get a gun that (never breaks, never needs cleaning, never - fill in the blank). How 'bout $5,000-$10,000 for a Perazzi or Dakota? How 'bout $20,000 and up for an H&H, Purdey, or Boss? When their reps get a question like this they normally ask when the last time the gun was cleaned and how it was cleaned, because the truth is that 50% of all gun problems are caused by guns not being cleaned, or not being cleaned properly.

My M1/Super 90 sometimes fails to close the bolt all the way on the second or third shot. Turns out it needs to be got after with a stainless steel brush at the chamber to clean out the residue left by plastic shells (after several hundred rounds). I can simply close the bolt all the way to fix it in the field. But then it needs CLEANING! Who told me about this little trick? A Benelli customer service rep on the phone, and my local gunsmith - and it's not limited to Benellis, either. I did what they said. Now I don't have the problem.

Uncle Russ

There are two reasons that I said what I did.

Firstly, it sounds like you were trying to set up the rep for mob by asking him ridiculous questions in front of an audience. No one likes to be put on the spot in front of a crowd like that.

Secondly, the two issues you brought up are not indicative of typical Benelli customer experiences.

The Benelli "click" is caused by one single factor - user error.

Anyone who owns a Benelli and who uses it much at all should know that you learn what a properly locked bolt looks like at a glance. If there's any doubt, open it an inch and let it go.

I check mine when I begin walking into the turkey woods, then I check it again before setting up.

Smart hunters make this part of their routine when preparing to setup on a gobbler or when waiting for the next flight.

Dumb ones ignore it and then gripe about it being a design flaw.

I also periodically check my Browning BAR, AR, and my Savage varmint bolt action when hunting. Call me crazy, but I want to make sure that things are ready to go when go time comes around.

Bolt handles flying off?

I've heard of it happening a few times, but the more common issue seems to be, "How do I get this bolt handle out? It's so $&%^ tight!"

So, what exactly is it that you'd have them do?

My own theory is that the majority of lost bolt handles are the result of improper assembly. Again, user error.

In the words of the famous comedian, "You can't fix stupid."

For one, I had no intention to "set up" the Benelli Rep up, so lets just get that out of way.

I was in the market to buy a new duck gun, after owning a Franchi I-12 and also shooting a few SBE II's, I had some questions for the guy. That is his job right..... to answer customers questions

Most problems that occur are user error, I get that. But then again sometimes its not...

I was dissappointed with the Benelli Rep's answers.

He could of said "You know I understand that Benelli has had some complaints about a "Benelli Click" issue and we're looking to fix that problem by creating shotguns like the Vinci that is a true in-line inertia drivin shotgun meaning the barrel and the reciever are machined as one instead of two seperate pieces".....and so on.

I think a Benelli shotgun is a comfortable fitting gun, light-wieght and shoulder's nicely, if Benelli fixes that "click" issue thats going to be one **** of a gun.

Try cleaning the bolt return spring. If you haven't removed it as yet, take it to a gunsmith and have them clean the return spring (and the magazine spring). I clean the springs thoroughly before I shoot a new gun and at least once a year after that (more often if I am shooting clays.) I have owned four Benellis (M1, 20 ga Monte, 20 ga SuperSport, SBEII) and no Benelli clicks. The bolt will get bumped by brush in the field and you need to check it regularly, but I have never missed a bird due to a Benelli problem. Just operator error - like not reloading after shooting one pheasant and another is flushed immediately.

I thought he was talking about the pump clicking, none of our Benelli autos have ever had the click, I was completely unaware of the issue (SBE, R1, Legacy) . :confused:

Do that many people actually have a clicking problem? If so that does seem like complete operator error.

My M2 clicked once every 100 rounds or so for the first 1000, but now it's smooth as silk. Carrying it around is no issue for me either, I have never had it pop out of battery while playing around.

I thought he was talking about the pump clicking, none of our Benelli autos have ever had the click, I was completely unaware of the issue (SBE, R1, Legacy) . :confused:

Do that many people actually have a clicking problem? If so that does seem like complete operator error.

I think the Benelli "click" is something of the past. Mine did it a few times (maybe 4 or 5) when new. I called Benelli (this was a couple years ago) and they acknowledged to me there were some complaints about the "click." The operator transferred me to a person who knew all about it and offered suggestions on how to make sure it wasn't operator error (mostly stuff on riding the bolt down, bumping the bolt by accident, and cleaning the gun properly). After we discussed my cleaning techniques, etc. , he offered to have me send the gun back if I wanted (I later did that on the jamming problem).

A friend of mine that also had the "click" problem suggested I get in front of my TV and pull and release the bolt a few hundred times. That must have worked--it has never clicked again. On the other hand, just as that problem was going on I started getting my jams. That's when I learned the gun had a break-in period. I then started shooting heavy loads (as directed in the manual).... that may cured the clicking problem. I don't know. It just stopped.

I think my gun is almost perfect now as long as I shoot heavy loads. One odd thing though, it has never, ever jammed while shooting Remington Shurshot Heavy Dove Loads. Go figure that one....

Another thing about the click: if you slightly, lightly, gently or otherwise pull back the bolt (after gun is locked and loaded) and then try to shoot it, it will sometimes click. Try it and you'll see.

One other thing about cleaning this gun that I discovered late in the game. Be sure you clean the magazine tube often. It appears to get just as dirty as the other parts. Just a little dirt, etc. on there will keep that shell from backing all the way out. Anyone having problems with the shell getting stuck just on top of the carrier has probably got a dirty magazine tube. Just a thought.

jed

i am pretty new to owning a benelli personally. i have had remington's and winchester's. i am not going to take anything away from those firearms, but i am still beside myself with the quality and operation of my m4. assembly, disassembly, cleaning, loading, and firing the gun has exceeded all my expectations. and i already had a perception of this being a "top shelf" firearm, so i had little tolerance for imperfections. i spent many years in the military, and have seen first hand what bad gun "habits" can do... so if you buy a $1500 shotgun and you dont take care of it...well its gonna not work one day.

tucker301 said it best, "routines" if you dont have them for any expensive mechanical device...it will fail you. if you appreciate your money so much, you should take good care of it when it goes from greenbacks to an item of value to you.

if you dont own a benelli and are reading this thread. dont just buy one, try one out. you tell me if the guns action/cycling arent impressive...bring all the prejudice you want :D

I got 55k thourgh my Nelli. It clicked once in a competition. Guess what. I bumped the handle and it pulled bolt out of the battery. Just F.Y.I. if the bolt is not locked into position the firing pin will not hit the primer and it will click. Simple as that. Nothing more, nothing less. Tucker says to check it. If you are walking around loaded and you go through brush you should check it to make sure the bolt didn't get pulled back out of the battery.

Somebody mentioned cleaning the chamber. BRAVO!!! Finally someone got it that when that area gets gunked up with shell residue that shells will pull out slower causing the bolt to slow down and a jam.

Also, make sure you lightly lube or use graphite grease like the gunslick stuff on the rails so everything is smooth. Everywhere there is metal to metal contact put some lube/light graphite grease in that area.

Lastly, some shells with long or extra long brass don't like Benelli's. Simple as that. My suggestion. If you are shooting a $1500 dollar gun then shoot good shells and don't skimp in that area. If they are too expensive then maybe buy one less six pack or two.

I work at a range that uses Benellis for rentals. Most of my rental guns get 1000 round + a week through them. Ya, the Nelli's keep on ticking. If they don't it is because they are dirty in the chamber and the rails are dry. Not one has broke or needed to be sent back yet.

Trust me I see our gas guns jam before the Nelli's do.

As for Bolt handles...Come on. I haven't seen one yet fly out, drop out or break. I am sure it happened. My bet is the little ball bearing inside the hole has no lube and stays stuck open. Like Tucker said. Most people complain because they CAN'T get them out.

Just my 2 cents....

Edited by dooderman

• 9 months later...

I personally could not afford a SBE II so I opted to purchase the Franchi I-12 for about half the price. I am having issues with this gun and have knowledge that there are a "few" more that are having the same. I have tried to contact Franchi and they have responded back but it has taken a very long time. And it still has not been resolved. All they asked for was the serial number and still have not gotten back with me.

All I can say is that most problems I've had with my Benellis have been user errors.

After 17 years I did have failure to eject with my HK SBE. Talked to Benelli CS, sent it back and a month later got it back...all new/updated springs just for the cost of shipping it to Benelli. No charges, nada. That first Benelli was a life changing experience and I haven't looked back since. I've added 3 more Benellis in between.

Trust is a must and that I do...consider me a Benelli fanatic.:cool:

Had a good friend with an M2 barrel issue that he took to Benelli customer service. There became an issue between he and the cs/gunsmith examining the barrel...after 2-1/2 months, repeated phone exchanges, he settled for a new barrel at a cost of $150. Wasn't happy when the new barrel arrive looking like it had a home made camo job on it. I told him to take it to the shop in Vacaville, Ca where he bought it and show and explain his issue...the owner contacted the rep and my buddy explained the whole scenario as it played out and his issue with the finish on the new barrel. A week later he recieved a new barrel and opted to keep the poorly finished barrel and not take a $150 refund.

The rep did him right.

I personally could not afford a SBE II so I opted to purchase the Franchi I-12 for about half the price. I am having issues with this gun and have knowledge that there are a "few" more that are having the same. I have tried to contact Franchi and they have responded back but it has taken a very long time. And it still has not been resolved. All they asked for was the serial number and still have not gotten back with me.

Good luck with that :) Maybe take this over to the Franky forum here?

Sorry, but I have not heard much good about the I-12 since it came out...

Having owned a Franchi Renaissance Classic, which was a great O/U I can tell you that the same people that handle Benelli c/s handle Franchi c/s...any c/s questions and answers come from the same Benelli USA customer service department. My question was answered on my first call. I had to hound them just a bit about my SBE issue though...they're not good at communication, so I would suggest follow up calls to them.

Edited by hattles

dont fret amigo! the mob is just pms'ing. youre right 100% percent dood. these things cost too much to not work the first time through the last last time no matter what. hunting aside, and i cannot speak for nelly's huntin guns, to have a defensive line that is so sensitive is crazy to me! i love my m4 and it is one of my favorite pieces to shoot but i really question its value in a warzone or a shtf ordeal cuz you cant just grab a box of paki muhho-mad-mart 12g or use wolf steel or whatever you stumble upon in a hurrikaiiiiiinnnneee!!!!!

i got a glock in a pancake in my nelly case with it just because if we have a EQ in cali or floods/drought in my spot NV and i end up needing to use thing thing to keep safe and get squirrels n radroaches then im not gonna have it be the only thing i got. thats why i never sold my 870s.

AND sometimes when i call benelli it feels like im calling blackhawk. not all their reps are G2G....

AAAANNNDDDD this IS THE EXACT PERFECT SPOT for you to voice these concerns. these guys are just being defensive. youve come to the right place with this.

thanks for your courage. lol. nah, but really. cheaaa.

i love benelli dont hate me yo

im just sayin

I agree with alot of people saying that Benelli will fix the gun. When I called up customer service and was asking about their warranty before I bought the M4, the lady I spoke with said, "if your M4 stops working 15 or 20 years down the road, we will take care of it!" By her saying that shows me that their 5 year warranty is BS... Its more like a life time warranty ;) Im thinking as long as you dont weld, or hack up your benelli you should be alright..

One question for you guys:

Has anyone mailed in their benelli for a warranty issue when they had a mesa side saddle attached, or a new optic rail or have added anything to their gun that was NOT factory? Im curious to know if we would need to take off say for example Kips awesome TI tube and replace it with the factory tube before it is shipped back :confused: