Spent $$ at the gun show

Hookster

Hey All,

I just got back from the gun show at the Cow Palace in South San Francisco. I wasn't planning on spending much but the LMT MRP piston upper said if I didn't take it home there was going to be big trouble. Not being one to argue with upper receivers I did what it said. This might have been a mistake though, cause now it thinks it can order me around. It keeps telling me now that I need to buy it a set of Troy Tritium folding battle sights. Here's what it looks like:

http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=189&cid=6&session=c77332049565bad029075c2fbee7ec5a

Hey, StrangerDanger! How does your MRP feel about 62 grain stuff. O.K.? All my previous AR uppers have been 1/9. I know the 1/7 likes the heavier stuff.

Do I need to be ordering some 69-75 gr?

Are you still happy with your Troys on there?

Later,

Hookster :D

Hey Mark,

I like your M6A2. LWRC is good stuff. Being a fellow Kalifornian, I'd love to have a Lewis lower to go with my new MRP but I can't bring myself to purchase anything with a bullet button or prince 50 setup. So, I'll be using it on one of my Bushmaster lowers which were registered as assalt weapons before the cutoff in 2000 so they have real working mag releases. I would like to see about a Lewis SOPMOD stock to go with it though. I saw some of the MagPul ACS stocks today. They are very SOPMODish but it would be nice to get the Lewis.

Take Care,

Hookster :)

Your going to love the MRP. I have the non-piston setup for work and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Mine is extremely accurate with Winchester Q3131A1 ammo and always goes bang.

Hey GutWrench, Have you had a chance to compare how it does with Q3131AQ vs a heavier load?

Thanks,

I have yet to find a brand or style of ammo that it will not feed. The only heavy stuff I have ever used is the Hornady TAP 75gr. BTHP Law Enforcement ammo which is what I load in it for duty work and the Federal 69gr. Matchkings. Havnt done a lot of accuracy testing with the TAP ammo because its so pricey but I successfully qualify with it twice a year.

I killed my first doe with this rifle last year with the Fed 69gr. She was DRT at roughly 100yds. I hope to harvest another one next weekend.

The Win Q3131 is like shooting in a dream. I have been told "I got lucky" that my rifle shoots this stuff so well. I can print 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100yds any time I please with my Leupold 3x9 scope on it. I have taken three yotes and hundreds of nutria rats with this set up. It goes to say my MRP is my favorite rifle in my safe! My confidence in this little rifle is through the roof.

I have yet to find a brand or style of ammo that it will not feed. The only heavy stuff I have ever used is the Hornady TAP 75gr. BTHP Law Enforcement ammo which is what I load in it for duty work and the Federal 69gr. Matchkings. Havnt done a lot of accuracy testing with the TAP ammo because its so pricey but I successfully qualify with it twice a year.

I killed my first doe with this rifle last year with the Fed 69gr. She was DRT at roughly 100yds. I hope to harvest another one next weekend.

The Win Q3131 is like shooting in a dream. I have been told "I got lucky" that my rifle shoots this stuff so well. I can print 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100yds any time I please with my Leupold 3x9 scope on it. I have taken three yotes and hundreds of nutria rats with this set up. It goes to say my MRP is my favorite rifle in my safe! My confidence in this little rifle is through the roof.

LMT makes good stuff. IIRC though, Duggan twisted one of those bolts in half with the factory tq wrench, lol.

Thanks for the reply GutWrench. I hope my MRP's accuracy turns out as good as yours. I guess I'll just start with the 55gr and work my way heavier and see what it likes best. I've got lots of 62gr Lake City M885 on hand so I'm hoping it likes that o.k. The 75gr stuff is pretty expensive.

LMT makes good stuff. IIRC though, Duggan twisted one of those bolts in half with the factory tq wrench, lol.

Duggan is strong!!! Where's he been anyway?

Yeah, I read an earlier post by StrangerDanger that the supplied torque wrench left something to be desired and it was very easy to miss the click. If I need to mess with the bolts I'll probably take it to my work and use a nice calibrated one.

Later,

I went to a local gun show too. I purchased a RRA stripped lower. I purchased it with an insurance policy/investment mindset. After recent events I thought I should nab a stripped lower and some hi-cap mags in preparation for Armageddon. This is my first foray into the AR line. I will probably just pop for an RRA complete rifle kit to get started. If I like it I can try again with LMT or Armalite parts.

I'm still waiting for a comprehensive review of Cody6.0's new MR1. I probably will not have a large collection of guns and having a rifle that closely resembles my shotgun may be the best setup for me. I saw one at a Goshinski's Outfitters today and it handled nicely as expected. having only a stripped lower at this point, I'm not in too deep to change my mind

Hey Ohio, Congrats on your purchase, an AR probably has a place in a small collection. These days there are so many things made for them you can configure them any way you please. I got my first AR when I was 15, they went for $279 back then (1976).......yeah...I know.. I'm old! Did I mention I rode my dinosaur to get to the gunshop.

Later,