Shim's are wearing me out...

Guest McDaddy

Guest McDaddy

OK here's the deal; I have a Montefeltro 12 that now has the B shim in it. It now shoots great; so what's the problem? I just took out my Legacy and bingo bango I shot it great with the C shim...:confused:. Is there any reasoning here? Of course I am aware of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule applies to this problem but I just felt I need to rant.

I'm no expert but I will tell you what I picked up along the way. The rib height and bead height combined with the drop in the stock and how your cheek fits on the stock determines how well you will shoot a particular shotgun. If you pull up a gun and see half of the rib, you will probably shoot high, so a thicker shim would be needed, to lower the drop, and lower the POI. One gun can differ from the next, especially if they are two different models, because of the way they vary. Also, the difference between a "B" shim and a "C" shim is not earth shattering. The gun with the "C" shim may in fact be shooting a tad high for you and the "C" shim was needed to bring down the POI. The other gun vice versa. I would say that it is not uncommon to have two different models, with two different shims, and shoot both of them equally well. I would say good for you to have both of them shoot spot on, and to not sweat the small stuff... Hope this made sense.